Looking for Winter tires for 2017 Golf R ....size to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Winter tires for 2017 Golf R ....size to use

I know its too early to think about this subject but I would like to be prepared in advance
    What size winter rims to use??
    17/18 inch
    what size tire to use with rims
    I know for 17 most say 225 45 17 but when I check online tire size calculator a 235 45 17 is closer in size to the factory
    235 35 19.
    just wondering what most use
    Thanks

Re: Looking for Winter tires for 2017 Golf R ....size to use

I go with 225/40R18 tires, as for the 17" rims I would go with the 225/45/17 tires, my understanding is to have slightly narrower winter tires so that the wheel cuts through the snow down to the pavement easier.

Comment

Some 17" wheels will fit, and some won't - it really comes down to the design of the wheel as to whether or not they will clear the brakes. Also, you typically need low-profile wheel weight and they need to be mounted in the correct spot to avoid having them hit the caliper. If you get too much ice built up in your wheels, the lack of clearance can knock the weights off quite easily.

I went with 18" wheels because I didn't want to deal with the hassle, plus they look better anyway. 225/40R18 is a common size, and it's actually the factory tire size for the "base" model R that they got in the States.
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Thanks for the info I found some very gentle used (not a mark on them) 18 inch Montauk wheels with 225 40 18 Michelin X Ice 3 rubber with 10/32 for the cost of just 17 inch winters

Comment

Working...
        X