Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTI or Golf R what to purchase

Looking for some feed back from current and pass owners
    Sold my wifes 2008 passat wagon (bought it used when it was 4 years old with 50,000 km and owned for 7 years after putting 80,000 km on it)
    it was and will continue to be a very good car but it was it to get something smaller as kids have their own cars now.
    Anyhow.... we looked at and drove 2016 GTI 6 spd manual with 62,000 and a R with 70,000.
    we will keep the car for a fairly long time 5 plus years so I want to be sure she's happy.
    Is there anything I should watch or look out for with either model...
    Ideas or thoughts on what I should expect to get for $$ in the used market
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by EXP; 05-05-2019, 02:59 PM.

Re: GTI or Golf R what to purchase

I think they are both solids cars, can't go wrong with either. Just look for the usual waves in door panels etc. that show it may have been accidented.

Comment

I personally prefer the GTI. I dont feel AWD is needed and for a daily the GGI would be less maintenance. I also prefer the DSG to the MT. I've driven both and the gearing on the MT seemed to really falloff around 5k. Where as the DSG held strong and kept pulling.

Cant go wrong either way...I choose GTI though.
      2016 VW GTI (Stock)
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
      1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
      2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Comment

Dsg for sure, and I’d go gti as well. Save the money and just get good winters.

Comment

Thanks for the input, My wife really prefers a manual so that is what she gets,( I have no problem with that as I have a B7 avant manual and her last 2 passats were manual) she also likes the low end grunt of the R
          being that she would like leather with power seat and a couple other items a GTI price will be with in a small jump or hop into a R ,just starting to look. As we plan on keeping the car for a long time I want to get something we will be happy with.
          Thanks again

Comment

I just found the Manual to be so sloppy, not nice and tight like I would have expected. Sounds like the r is your next car good luck they are fun.

Comment

Can’t really go wrong with either a GTI or an R. The GTI is maybe a bit more fun in the city because of the smaller turbo and quick response, but hard to beat the R as an overall package. As a manual owner, buy the DSG... the shifter is sloppy and the clutch feels numb and disconnected. My Sachs clutch definitely feels better, overall it leaves a lot to be desired still.
              Scott
              '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
              '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Working...
              X