Kenny' s B3 Audi Coupe quattro Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny' s B3 Audi Coupe quattro Build

The goal of this next project which im getting extremely lucky on as a really good friend of mine has decided to sell to me, is to build the car to around 400awhp. Nothing crazy. Im picking it up next Sunday and the plan for the build is as followed:

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
    Turbo: EFR 6258
    Exhaust manifold: Wagner cast (real)
    Injectors: 630cc Deka
    Tune: EFI express Chip set on AAN ECU.*
    Downpipe: EFI express 3 inch
    Exhaust: custom build.*
    Fuel pump: Walbro 450
    Stock MAF: AAN*
    Drive train mounts: HPR/034/Stock
    AFR and EGT gauges: Innovate/Snow performance
    Oil lines: EFIEXPRESS
    Brakes: stock for now
    Wastegate: stock rebuild from EFI with 1.9 bar spring.*
    Head: AAN Ferrea valves 6000 series
    Block : AAN
    Cams: 7A
    Pistons: Stock 81mm Fourstar Motors coated.
    Rods: Forged Rods (DM)
    Rod bearings : Calico coated
    Crank: Stock AAN ( balanced )
    Main bearings: Calico Coated
    Damper: Issam Fluid Damper
    Shifter: 034 Billet
    Intercooler: S2/Rs2 Audi
    Clutch: Southbend Stage 4 disc, stage 2 PP
    Flywheel: 034 LwFW
    Wheels and tires: 16in Fuchs
    Breather: issam breather with Provent Catch Can
    Intake Manifold: 3B intake with 034 spacer

Water Methanol: Snow performance
    Hardware: ARP head studs, stock Mains

I'm going to use this thread to update my project as it procedes and will include pictures as they come. This is going to be a hell of a project and will test me in every possible way. Lucky for me, my friend i bought it from has colected most of the parts required to build the car i just need to assemble.*Like my Lego S1 lol

My goal is to have it all complete and driveable by April -June this year. If that happens ill consider it a win. Time will tell. Big factors right now is getting the block machined for 83mm pistons and sourcing a head gasket for the larger bore.

Last edited by morris400; 04-21-2020, 12:12 AM.
    2016 VW GTI (Stock)
    2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
    1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
    2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Re: Kenny' s B3 Audi Coupe quattro Build

Well, this looks like fun. Also, sweet Hot Wheels.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Wow! That's quite the parts list. Should be a fun ride once it is done.
      Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
      2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
      2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
      2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
      2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
      2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

sounds pretty crazy to me! that's going to be wicked fun!

Comment

Congrats on the buy, that will be a sweet ride.
          99 Cabriolet
          07 RS4

Comment

Thanks guys. Im at the point where i just dont know where to start lol. Ill get there soon...i hope.
            2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

I love it, such a classic and I cannot wait to see it come together!
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Nice!! I have quite a few spare parts if you find yourself needing stuff ping me.
                FB

S2/RS6
                http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2961

Comment

Those cars are just such classic look. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Comment

Update:

Been doing some research to make sure i do this build right the first time and not a second time.

83mm pistons are awesome, but not ideal for me so im going to be keeping stock pistons. Still doing machining and balancing with forged rods.

Pistons will be getting cleaned up and coated before they go to the machine shop next week.

The old 7A harness and battery tray are out. New harness is ready to be installed and get a battery relocation as well.

More updates soon.
                    2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Been spending the better half of the last month and a bit trying to sell spare parts and extra parts to get this build underway.

Wed: i did order complete set of Ferrea stainless valves
                      Thurs: i dropped my engine off at the shop to be balanced and decked
                      Fri: i got a 034 Lightweight FW from a great friend.

So we are on track to get things going soon. Pictures once new parts show up and engine build starts.
                      Last edited by morris400; 03-13-2020, 11:26 PM.
                      2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Woo can't wait!
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

New parts arrived today as i was being artistic and planning my routingof PCV and battery relocation.

2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

And yet again....another machine shop fail! This time worse the the last time.

All was going good. Until i called the shop ( yes incalled cause communication was / is piss poor) to get an update on things. They said they are in the balance process, but their machine indicates they have to add weight to the crank. I said ok, how much and is that an extra charge on top of the balance job. He said alot of weight and yes its extra.

At this point i was getting worried, and spoke with Jeff Gerner, known as a god when it come to the old 5 cyl. He said they are fucking up and should not be adding any weight. The AAN cranks NEVER get weight added, only removed.

I called the shop back to have them verify their calculations but was told they would call me back so my tech was busy. So i fired an email(i should have drove doen there) saying stop. They need to re check their calculations cause something is not right.

I got a call back, 4h later, at this point they had spent 3h adding metal to which is about $200 per hour. He then assured me that their machine is correct and my crank was way off.

Move to today:
                            I called to get an update on what was going on, and was told that once again id get a call back...after 2 hours still nothing. So i called again and once again i was told hes busy. ...he finally did call tomsay all is good and they are done.....final invoice $1861.00!

Super pissed i drove over and demanded explanation on why its so high. He said they had to add 5 pc of metal to balance it. I Express my displeasure as this was absolutely insaine. But took my spec sheet and parts and left....peacefully.

When i arrrived home insent my spec to Jeff Gerner in the States and he called me saying the proof they messed up is on the front page.....they balanced my I5 as a V engine using a weight factor of 2 rods per throw. And he said not to run the crank as it will blow all my bearings super quick.

I called the shop back, and explained that they made an error and essentially ruined my crank. He went pretty quiet and said "no no we used 1 rod per throw..." i said " your spec sheet says 2 which is right for a V engine" once again he went quiet. Asked me to send him the sheet and come in monday with a new crank and we can see what to do

As it sits right now, i have 2 spare cranks but they still owe me one now. I even told them to stop and check their calculations! Im not confortanle giving them a second chance and am prettt sure i want a full refund and to part ways again.

I sent them everything they needed to do this and they still fucked it. My pistons are 5G out and my rods are 2G out. Should be 1G max on a full balance. They chipped the ceramic coating on my pistons as well.

All in all im pretty pissed.
                            2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Man, what a lousy experience! Hope they have some reasonable options for you.
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X