Vw id.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vw id.3

With preorders opening up for the id3 what are your opinions on vw and the electric car game?? I’m predicting they will be in the top tier of electric cars pretty quick. I think I’ll also buy one in the next 5-7 years.

Re: Vw id.3

I'm interested, in general. Not sure I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon. The price point on this new VW though is definitely going to draw a crowd. 10000 pre-sales in 24 hours is pretty impressive.

I'm still questioning the sustainability of electric in its current form. There is certainly a need to find a better battery. I also saw this yesterday:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/a...en-fuel-cells/
    So VW group's eggs aren't all in the battery basket. More tech will be on the way soon.

I think your 5-7 years is about right. There is going to be some huge changes in how an electric car ticks in the next few years, and I'm not interested in getting in during the "figuring stuff out" phase of the technology.

I also think that with main-stream manufacturers putting stuff like the id.3 on the market, Tesla doesn't really stand a chance. But even if they fade away, they will have credit for being the ones to really get the electric ball rolling.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Our home electrical infrastructure is not built for more than 2-3 electric cars per block one article I read said. Will be interesting on who gets tags with the bill to support charging of so many electric cars.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Tesla's home charger will draw 11,500W on a 240v/60a circuit. You'd be in for an upgrade in most garages in the city. A lot of the old neighbourhoods may not even have that kind or excess capacity on their main panels, without upgrading. You can always set up the chargers to draw less current at the expense of charging time.

That is a lot of draw though. My biggest power pig is my electric heater in my garage, and that's only 5000W. On top of that, everyone is coming home from work, plugging in the car and going to make dinner, smart thermostats are kicking in to heat or cool the house, lights all coming on. The cars are drawing power at the worst possible time for the power grid. I think capacity, as these cars gain popularity, will be an issue. Coal power may start looking really good again. haha.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I think the electric companies are jumping up and down with joy. If an orange farmer finds out that in the next 3-5 years the sales are going to 10x, they don't get complain, they plant more trees!
          The electric companies are going to build more power stations and we are all going to use more electricity and everything will be fine.

I would put myself on the pre-order list but they're not coming to NA yet.
          Last edited by witchcraftz; 05-10-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Electric cars of course change the landscape, both via automotive and other ends. The debate on their true environmental impact is still an issue as you trade some things for others, such as CO2 emissions, for mining impacts, and increased electricity usage, but the shift is going.

Here in Hong Kong the impact of Tesla and electric cars is huge, I probably see hundreds of Teslas everyday and the Model 3 is still not even available here yet. You see others as well (E Golf/GTI, Zoe, Leaf, BYDs) so I am sure the VW will begin appearing when available and we will get to a point where the best cars are chosen versus just what is the only choice. I do however see very little charging infrastructure so I assume it is predominantly in parking structures , but with small distances and better weather conditions they are probably fairly efficient here.

The beauty of the VW will be the use of their adaptable platform which will allow many products to utilize the basic chassis setup and offer great production capabilities that could put Tesla in it's place, the biggest issue with them.
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I want one.
              Current Fleet
              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
              2001 Cobra #88/3786
              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment