Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if i were a block heater cable...where would i be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if i were a block heater cable...where would i be?

Well like title says, Where in the hell is the cable(if i have one on my car)be? I got super cold in banff two nights ago and my car had some rough times starting...had to walk to work

thank in advance.
    James
    mk4 wagon

Re: if i were a block heater cable...where would i be?

Well, i found on my jetta that if you pop out the lower front passenger side grille, there is a part that it is ziptied to, where your front tow hook screws in..

That may have changed with the front end swap?

try it.
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

if you haven't found it, I would think you either dont have one, or the cord has been ripped off. Not sure where the cable goes on your car. On my 2L it comes of the back side of the block, middle-ish.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I found mine on the drivers side between the battery and the fender. I think the freeze plug where the block heater is installed is on the back of the block on the passenger side. I am going to look at my Bentley. BRB
        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Searched the Bentley manual & CD and TDIclub and there is no mention of any VW part numbers for blockheaters. Lots of references for aftermarket ones tho. There is a reference to a round sealing plug on the drivers side of the block on the 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 engines. That may be where the aftermarket ones bolt into.
          2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

If its made for canada, its going to have one.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
              If its made for canada, its going to have one.
              Not necessarily.

Aftermarket and OEM block heaters both go into the frost plug hole on the block.

Comment

if i were a block heater cable i'd be attached to the patch on the bottom of my oil pan
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

[QUOTE=darkmanCANADA;160089]I found mine on the drivers side between the battery and the fender. I think the freeze plug where the block heater is installed is on the back of the block on the passenger side. I am going to look at my Bentley. BRB[/QUOTE

You don't have an immersion blockheater.probable an oil pan heater or a honda electric heating coil that bolts under the exhaust manifold easy retrofit,or maybe a zerostart.

block heaters are not installed by manufactures they are strictly an add on.
                  On most new vehicles block heaters are no longer available.

Comment

2009 2.0l common rail equipped from factory, and the Routan, I mean town and country.........
                    If your oil is right (5/40 syn), coolant strength correct, and battery @ optimal charge, YOU DONT NEED a block heater, never had one, ever!!!!!!! If you did your car would come equipped like most domestics.
                    Back at 1518!!! Boo Ya!!!!!!

Comment

You don't "need" one, but it is a lot better for your engine cold starting at -30. Some people care about the long term wear lives of their engines, most don't.

5WXX oils just pass the SAE cranking test at -30, so it is the limit for the oil to flow at all. Regardless, time for the oil to reach all components is drastically increased at these lower temperatures. Having the engine preheated reduce cold start wear by a large factor.
                      Last edited by Red90; 12-18-2008, 10:01 AM.

Comment

if its made for canada LOL

ONCE again.. my S4 and my wifes corolla both don't have block or oil pan heaters of any kind..

anyways you can buy aftermarket oil pan heaters off ebay..

if your car has it the cord should be passenger side by the battery tucked up.

also from my experience and derek or someone that works at a dealer can comment but audi/vw stopped putting them in because of the plastic underbelly crap and the heat could cause a fire.. i could be wrong but thats what i remember from a few years back

Comment

Go to www.canadiantire.ca and search for "Polar Pad". 125W for $100, 250W for $120. If you have an EVO or DG skidplate go for it. If you have the VW plastic don't risk it.
                          2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Found this on TDIclub:

http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml
                            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post

ONCE again.. my S4 and my wifes corolla both don't have block or oil pan heaters of any kind..
                              I was wondering if my S4 had a cord... guessing no? heh. Is it worth it to get one put on?
                              Stage 0
                              2001.5 Audi S4
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X