Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing the car this Saturday!

Hey guys,

A friend and I are planning on waxing our cars this saturday, we're looking to borrow a buffer. Does anyone have one? If not, does anyone know where i can rent one? I don't want to buy one, the good ones are expensive, I'd rather rent it and give it back in a few hrs if worse comes to worse.

Re: Waxing the car this Saturday!

i have a buffer, but slightly out of your area. Sorry buddy. Are you gonna clay bar as well? I need a good wax this year. What are u using?
    Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

depends what you are doing. if you're polishing, then you'll want a fast expensive buffer. but if you're just applying wax, then you can use any kinda cheap-o semens orbital buffer. i got mine from cdn tire for $50 .. came with a nice plastic carrying case too.

i seldomly polish because i like my clear coat .. i find a decent cleaner wax gives the best results for the price. i use the liquid carnauba cleaner wax about once every 2 weeks. i apply it with the orbital. then i let it dry until it's crusty. and i remove it with a big cotton towel

i can do both cars in less then an hour, without rushing with that method. taking if off with the big cotton towel saves a lot of time
      Last edited by aliencurv; 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM.
      D.J.
      Turbo SVT Focus
      Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

DJ, you work for food and beer by chance? haha
        Patryk
        Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
        08 VW .:R32
        04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Euro Dub PL View Post
          DJ, you work for food and beer by chance? haha
          lol, i was making it sound easy for encouragement. not too volunteer!

i think a lot of ppl are waxing this weekend. it's too bad we couldn't all do it together, that'd be a fun event. drink some beer and hang out cleaning our cars.
          D.J.
          Turbo SVT Focus
          Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Do you do a cleaner wax, remove then do a regular polish wax?

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
              Do you do a cleaner wax, remove then do a regular polish wax?
              i never use a polish wax because i worry about the effect it has on my paint. the longest you can hold out for not using a polish, the longer and stronger your paint will be.

back in my svtoa days, there was a guy who owns a detailing business in town. he was obsessed with it. he does all the cars for davanport. he would chime in often and explain why it's harmful to polish more then once every few years, if you want your grandkids to see your original paintjob anyway.

he'd also have lots to say about ppl buying polish at cdn tire and doing it themself. he uses little an electronic clearcoat measuring tool and another tool for color brightness and stuff. that lets him know how long he can polish a certain area before harming the protective coat. at home, we don't have these tools or skill so most ppl remove their clear coat over a few years and wonder why their paint is so dull.
              D.J.
              Turbo SVT Focus
              Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

What Brands do you guys use for claybar?wax?polish?
                Any tips or tricks you want to share?
                ~Tracy~
                MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
                Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Originally posted by VwSweetHeart View Post
                  What Brands do you guys use for claybar?wax?polish?
                  Any tips or tricks you want to share?

i used to use mothers claybar, and mothers wax.

the claybar i think is great, although i use turtlewax ice liquid claybar now.

the mothers and meguires cleaner wax i found difficult to remove. so i started using turtlewax liquid cleaner wax, which removes easily with a cotton towel. my other car is a blue with purple flip paint. any sign of oil/grease will smear and be very visible. after using turtlewax liquid cleaner wax, i never have any residue. with mothers and mequires i had residue.

and for polish, back in the day before i was told to let professionals polish. i used the 3 step mequires kit. paint cleaner, polish, wax/sealer. those were long days
                  D.J.
                  Turbo SVT Focus
                  Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Ya my car is black and has alot of surface sctratches and swirls. Been doing alot of research on products lately.

Looking to claybar with Meguairs or Mothers possibly, then use Meguairs stuff called Ultimate Compound before waxing. Says it will remove all surface scratches and swirls. Not too sure yet what wax im going with.

Would you say turtlewax ice liquid claybar is better then meguairs or mothes?
                    ~Tracy~
                    Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Mothers Clay Bar Good

Mothers Wax and polish Bad.

Been Detailer at dealerships and body shops for over 6 years.

not anymore but I know my detail stuff

Anything 3M is good
                      Last edited by boostedmk4; 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM.
                      Certified 3m installer
                      jwukovits@me.com
                      1-403-988-9012
                      Instagram @Protectit
                      I always thought I was strange. Now I have a Saab and it's official I'm strange......

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Lifted on 35's
                      2011 Jeep Rubicon 2dr Not Stock
                      2004 Saab 9-3 2.0T Daily and Stock(for now)

Comment

Originally posted by VwSweetHeart View Post
                        Ya my car is black and has alot of surface sctratches and swirls. Been doing alot of research on products lately.

Looking to claybar with Meguairs or Mothers possibly, then use Meguairs stuff called Ultimate Compound before waxing. Says it will remove all surface scratches and swirls. Not too sure yet what wax im going with.

Would you say turtlewax ice liquid claybar is better then meguairs or mothes?
                        oooh i've never owned a black car, but i've seen the troubles my friends have .. be very careful when using the ultimate compound, you don't want to take off too much clearcoat. if your car is older, you may not have much clearcoat left. have you considered paying a professional to do it? if it's the first time, it might be worth while to have it done professionally. then from here on you can just maintain the car.

the turtlewax ice liquid claybar is pretty good. i can't say if it's better then the others. i keep my cars soooo clean that it's really hard to tell haha. i use cleaner wax about 2-3 times a month :P

also, since you have a black car.. i'll give you a good tip! when you car wash it, and then dry... there are always little blotches in places, and smears. i have a fix for you! i stumbled across this stuff a few years ago, and i ALWAYS dry my cars with it now...

1) want wash car

2) pull out of car wash onto drying pad

3) quickly spray a light coat of Lucas Slick Mist all over car (paint, windows, etc). Make sure you spray in all the hard to reach places, like lower front bumper and side skits.

4) use a large cotton clean towel, and buff dry the car. and since it's a big towel, i hold each end in each hand and i dry with both hands. buff dry everywhere! under the side skirts, bumpers, windows, mirrors, licenceplate, etc.

the drying with a big white clean cotton towel is the best. so easy and it buffs the lucas slick mist nicely.

the first time you dry with a big towel, u might find it a bit uncomfortable. but you'll eventually find a pattern and process that works with your car. i got both cars down to a science.

then when u get home, throw the towel in the laundry .. i use a white towel so i can see how clean i got my car. i use the towel to dry and clean the door jams and wheel wells and rims after i dried the car. then i wash it.

i put the towel in the laundry with my dishclothes or shoes lol. yes, i wash my shoes in the washing machine!

oh ps. you can get lucas slick mist at cdn tire. i get it from Auto Value (cheapest there)
                        Last edited by aliencurv; 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM.
                        D.J.
                        Turbo SVT Focus
                        Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Thanks for all the tips!!! I will for sure pick up some Lucas Slick Mist and give it a try.

My car is a 2002 and Ive never done any waxing on it, so it is time. Im sure i will see a big difference with the claybar and wax alone. might skip on the scratch remover stuff and see how it goes. I have considered paying a pro to do it but considering it is a '02 i rather save the 350 bucks and just spend a day and do it myself.

Thanks again aliencurv for the tips!!!

What wax do you guys recommend after claybar?
                          ~Tracy~
                          Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

if you're gonna claybar ensure you WASH THE CAR THOROUGHLY.
                            i would suggest washing it twice, including all the jams. you will likely miss a spot and that direct will just go right into the clay bar (which is where its supposed to go but you'll put a lot in there).

Once washed i use a wax with a bit of a cut in it to remove swirls, will then do that, take it off, apply a finishing wax then a carnuba
                            Team Highschool
                            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
                            X