B6 A4 heater not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 A4 heater not working

So as winter is coming I started trying to use the heater in my 2002 A4. However it simply decided that it didn't want to throw hot air! The fan works fine because the volume of air it does throw out is plenty, but it just not HOT even on high. Id say its no warmer than 10 degrees Celsius air coming out! The ac works fine though, cold cold air comes out when that is on. Anyone know what's wrong and/or how to fix it? I was thinking its probably the heater core. Anyone else have any issues like this?
    2002 A4 1.8T Quattro//Tiptronic//Denim Blue//Unitronic Stage 1//Forge 007 DV//ITG Pro Drop In Filter//034 HFC//18'' Rs4 reps//Toyo Proxies//L.E.D. E-Codes...more to come

Re: B6 A4 heater not working

Is the car heating up? Does your temperature gauge reach the 90C mark?

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

As above, if the temp comes up normally your thermostat is probably OK. Most fail in the open position. You could try flushing your system to make sure that coolant is circulating properly in order for your heater to get up to temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinAndrews View Post
        As above, if the temp comes up normally your thermostat is probably OK. Most fail in the open position. You could try flushing your system to make sure that coolant is circulating properly in order for your heater to get up to temperature.
        This is what is happenning, and have seen this many times over with the Audi's. For some reason the heater core gets clogged up and reduces the amount of coolant getting through it if any. What you need to do is pull off the two heater core hoses and stick a garden hose in one end of the heater core spout. You will need the garden hose trigger handle that is found in almost every household. its the pressure that you want from the gerden hose. Just flush it right out until you see clear water coming out the other spout of the heater core. You will have to bleed all of the air out of the cooling system after you reconnect the two hoses back onto the heater core.
        Last edited by vee_dubbin; 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM.
        TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
        PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Could also be your temp flap servo motor.
          Justin

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
            Is the car heating up? Does your temperature gauge reach the 90C mark?
            yes
            2002 A4 1.8T Quattro//Tiptronic//Denim Blue//Unitronic Stage 1//Forge 007 DV//ITG Pro Drop In Filter//034 HFC//18'' Rs4 reps//Toyo Proxies//L.E.D. E-Codes...more to come

Comment

your heater core is most likely clogged then. that or the blending door/motor is not working

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Tunedub did a $150 fix on our b5 passat cause it wasnt blowing heat at a stop and it was pitiful while moving.

George kind of explained it, but i dont remember, but i know it works!
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
                  Tunedub did a $150 fix on our b5 passat cause it wasnt blowing heat at a stop and it was pitiful while moving.

George kind of explained it, but i dont remember, but i know it works!
                  Those are the symptoms of a clogged heater core.
                  TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
                  PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Originally posted by vee_dubbin View Post
                    Those are the symptoms of a clogged heater core.
                    We tried flushing it with the hose and it flowed perfectly and no crap came out of it.
                    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Flushed the heater core and it works awesome now thanks guys! and a special thanks to Colin Andrews for helping out!

Comment

No problem Scott. I'm glad we could sort it before it got cold enough to really need your heat.

Comment

Working...
                        X