1999 VW Beetle - headlights won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 VW Beetle - headlights won't turn on

Interesting issue. 1999 VW beetle, 5 speed manual. The daytime running lights work, but as soon as you turn on the headlights the headlights go out, all other marker lamps turn on as expected (the DRLs use the same bulb as the headlights - the high beams are separate bulbs). I've checked the fuses (all fine), tested the headlight switch by using a known good one. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by p951; 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM.
    1990 Porsche 951
    2013 Audi S4 6MT

Re: 1999 VW Beetle - headlights won't turn on

try a different switch? ive got an oem headlight switch you are welcome to try
    Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
    Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
    "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

My 98 Beetle tdi did exactly that - it was melted wires on the back of ignition switch, and a bad igniton switch. It also took out the A/C and blower fan.

But before you dig into that, check the fuses on top of the battery.

If you need help, I am near Camrose

Jiggs

Comment

Update on the headlight not working... I replaced the turn signal switch (which turned out not to be the problem, but its nice to get a nice new switch) and tested all the wires at both the ignition switch (which was in good shape) and the turn signal switch (which was also fine). The problem still persists. Is there a relay or breaker that I'm missing? The fuses all check out fine, the bulbs are fine.

ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME!
        1990 Porsche 951
        2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by p951 View Post
          Interesting issue. 1999 VW beetle, 5 speed manual. The daytime running lights work, but as soon as you turn on the headlights the headlights go out, all other marker lamps turn on as expected (the DRLs use the same bulb as the headlights - the high beams are separate bulbs). I've checked the fuses (all fine), tested the headlight switch by using a known good one. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
          I think it is advisable to find another part try looking in ebay for aftermarket headlights I'm sure you can find lots of affordable headlights which you can choose from.

Comment

Update on the fix. It was the headlight switch that was bad... I tested the known good headlight switch frm another VAG car, but it was different internally and didn't work in the beetle. I guess that the beetle uses a different switch path that some of the other cars.
            1990 Porsche 951
            2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

Working...
            X