Clarkson, Hammond & May Sunday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Gear Sunday!

It will be interesting to hear if anything comes of this....

Several people who were on the Top Gear track when the Pagani Huayra established the lap record said the car had racing slicks, which is against Top Gear's power lap track rules.

Season 19 of Top Gear started with the Pagani Huayra establishing a new track record with a time of 1:13.8, smashing Ariel Atom V8's previous record of 1:15.1. According to those present when Stig established the record, Pagani cheated by using racing slicks with hand-cut grooves to make them look road-legal.

Pagani responded to these accusations saying the Huayra had P Zero Trofeo tires which although are designed specifically for track use, these are still road legal which means Pagani did not cheat on Top Gear.

However, the crafty members at TeamSpeed.com forum site have analyzed photos taken during the event and point out that the sizing and tread pattern of the tires used on the Huayra for Top Gear were different than Pagani stated. In fact, TeamSpeed members argue that the tires used bear the same tread characteristics found on Pirelli slick racing tires used on the Pagani Zonda R race car.

To make matters worse, in the press release published after the show, Pagani said the car had P Zero Corsa tires so they either made a series of mistakes or intentionally tried to mislead.

Here's an outline of the situation plus a final assessment according to TeamSpeed member mattjs33:

[Note: for reference to outline below see attached photos above and their corresponding captions]

-The Huayra is stated by Pagani to come with Pirelli PZero Corsa tires, size 255/35ZR-19 (front) and 335/30zr-20 (rear).
    -The Pirelli racing slicks on the Zonda R are said by Pagani to be sizes 265/645-19 (front) and 325/705-20 (rear), as per Pagani's website.
    -The tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig have a tread pattern that does not match anything in Pirelli's current PZero Corsa line.
    -The tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig were not the sizes that Pagani states it uses, but rather the same exact size as the racing slicks of the Zonda R, namely 265/645-19 (already cited) and 325/705-20 (see enlarged photo below).
    -These type of tire size designations are not used by Pirelli for any street legal tire, but rather for racing tires designed for off-road use.
    -The Pirelli tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig have treadwear inspection dots in the exact same pattern as you find on Pirelli racing slicks.
    -These types of treadwear inspection dots are not typically found on treaded, street-legal tires.
    -The Pirelli tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig carry no identifying branding, either PZero Corsa or otherwise, except for tire sizing already identified, and the brand name Pirelli.

It is evident by anybody with knowledge on the subject that the tires on the Huayra when driven by the Stig, began life as slick treaded racing tires.

What is at issue here is not lap times or foul play. What is at issue is the fact that Pagani, and most likely Pirelli, have engaged in a deliberate attempt to massage the Power Lap results to the benefit of the Huayra by equipping it with tires that it will not, and most likely cannot, be sold with. They knew exactly what they were doing. The general assumption of Top Gear viewers is that the cars are being tested in stock, unmodified form. That does not appear to be the case in this instance.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

i read that on my carbuzz ipad app yesterday too

interesting

Comment

Crazy, but I can see why companies would do this and hope to get away with it. Wonder if Top Gear will try to get the car back on the correct tires and lap it again.
        1990 BMW 325is
        2000 Jetta VR6 (sold)
        2000 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Comment

Sh*t just got real.
          Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Pagani has provided additional explanations about the tire controversy during Top Gear Power Lap competition.

When asked by Jalopnik why the Huayra had no "P-Zero Corsa" branding on the tires as well as a different pattern, Pagani replied they used two types of tires for the Top Gear test track footage: the regular Corsas and the Zonda R-derived Trofeo tires.

The reason why Pagani said they only used Corsa tires in the press release was because they wanted "to push them on the media." Pagani added all Pirelli tires used for the Huayra are derived from the ones mounted on the Zonda R. Since those modified Trofeo tires are legal, Pagani did not cheat during the Top Gear test but they should have been clearer right from the beginning.

Although those custom Trofeo tires are street legal, Pagani says these shouldn't be used in heavy rain. Based on the record-breaking lap, we assume they used modified Trofeos for the Power Lap, while for anything else Corsas were mounted.
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

So nothing different then the e46 M3 CSL they tested, it comes with what are basically slicks. BMW makes you sign a waiver that they are not good in the rain, or when its cold.
              1990 BMW 325is
              2000 Jetta VR6 (sold)
              2000 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Bmarc View Post
                So nothing different then the e46 M3 CSL they tested, it comes with what are basically slicks. BMW makes you sign a waiver that they are not good in the rain, or when its cold.
                the tires that come on the M3 are just a R compound tire, theyre still D.O.T. approved.
                the tires that were on the Huayra were a full race slick tire that had a tread cut into, not D.O.T. approved. even had the sizing of the Zonda R, not the sizes that Pagani's website says comes on the Huayra.

i think it would be proper of Pagani to send the car back to Top Gear and them run the lap with the stock tires that the Huayra is supposed to come with.
                Current:
                2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
                2013 VW Jetta 2.5
                Past:
                2005 VW JTI 1.8T
                1993 VW Jetta 2.0
                1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
                1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
                1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

According to the reports the tires used on the fast lap are "road legal", but should not be used in the rain. They say it is the Pirelli PZero Trofeos, which are DOT approved tires. The Trofeos are also a tire that the car is offered with, PZeros and PZero Corsa being the other 2.

I would like to see the car go back and run on the Corsa tires if that's what they are promoting on the car.
                  1990 BMW 325is
                  2000 Jetta VR6 (sold)
                  2000 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Comment

the thing is tho, Prielli lied about running the Trofeo, this is the tread pattern of the Trofeo

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...ro_trofeo.html

this is the tread pattern of the tire that was on the Huyura at the time of testing

http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/...rd-pirelli.htm
                    Current:
                    2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
                    2013 VW Jetta 2.5
                    Past:
                    2005 VW JTI 1.8T
                    1993 VW Jetta 2.0
                    1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
                    1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
                    1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

I enjoyed the first part of the special last night and am looking forward to next weeks conclusion. Would have been interesting to have a quattro avant in the mix!
                      Blair

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                        I enjoyed the first part of the special last night and am looking forward to next weeks conclusion. Would have been interesting to have a quattro avant in the mix!
                        But quality cars that truck through everything don't make for good TV.

Comment

Can you buy a Quattro avant for <$3k (1500quid)?

I think this may become one of my new favs next to Vietnam. The whole episode looked like Planet Earth on DVD! :O
                          Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
                            Can you buy a Quattro avant for <$3k (1500quid)?

I think this may become one of my new favs next to Vietnam. The whole episode looked like Planet Earth on DVD! :O
                            I did have to look out of curiosity and within 100 miles of me there are 50 or so Audi estates under £2,000 looks like for the show they could have gotten a late 90s early 00s A4 or A6 for the requisite money, around 150,000-200,000 miles, so pretty similar to the BMW wagon Jeremy picked up.
                            Blair

Comment

I did have to look out of curiosity and within 100 miles of me there are 50 or so Audi estates under £2,000 looks like for the show they could have gotten a late 90s early 00s A4 or A6 for the requisite money, around 150,000-200,000 miles, so pretty similar to the BMW wagon Jeremy picked up.
                              That would've been a logical choice but not hilarious like the V70R that Captain Slow picked out.

That Volvo made my day lol.

Don

sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed the first half of the special last night. I really want that Volvo 850R! I love those things!
                                Scott
                                '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                                '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Working...
                                X