Cars & Coffee - Sundays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars & Coffee - Sundays

The beauty of the coffee meet (as noted by Blair) is that it is very informal and focused on basically meeting in the parking lot, looking at cars, talking about cars, touching cars... err, OK... too much. Another benefit... is that 10AM is a "suggested" start time. Now... I haven't been to a coffee meet in months (my apologies guys... I promise I will come again this Spring/Summer/Fall)... however, people show up from 9:45AM up until 10:45AM it seems sometimes. Since everyone is hanging out in the parking lot with coffee's in hand... that's cool. Besides, this also allows folks more opportunity to see cars roll in and roll out, etc. In addition, coffee meets are also free if you just wanna show up and hang out... which some people do.

If you now start taking this inside to a pub... IMO you completely change the spirit of the event in the first place. If people really want breakfast... change the coffee meets to every Sunday at 11AM or 2PM... and go get your breakfast before hand. Personally, I think if you make this a pub breaky thing... you're missing the point. If the intention is turn the focus away from the parking lot and towards table conversations around several pub breakfast tables... then OK. However, IMO... the Sunday meets are popular because people go to them because they want to talk cars, around cars, while watching cars, discuss mods and perhaps enjoy a cup of caffeinated beverage... not because they want to sit and eat breakfast with car guys/gals.

Anyhow... that's my $0.02 worth. Cheers...
    Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Rob, I could not agree with you more about everything you said. The only problem with the whole statement is that we live in Calgary. When its anything below -5, most people dont want to stand outside and talk about their cars, they would rather sit inside and do the same thing. Its not too bad when you have a meet of 6 or 7 people, but the last couple of meets have been significantly large, to the point the second cup could barely host us.

I do like the idea of shifting the coffee meet forward a bit and make it a 2 part meet. Breakfast at say 9:30, coffee at 10:30. Those who want to come out to breakfast are free to do so. After breakfast is done, we can all regroup outside the second cup and chat about cars. Again this is a summer option. In the winter, I think most would want to stay inside the pub to continue chatting about cars.
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Sorry guys been rather busy...

This is a discussion that comes up every once in a while...coffee meets during the winter months are indoors and fluctuate from a maximum of around 10 down 2 when at Second Cup. Deerfoot Meadows always gets a bigger crowd for some reason. Neither of these can comfortably hold the numbers of these past couple of weeks (20 and above). I, personally wouldn't take two coffee meets as a big enough sample size to say that it's a problem. So far they are just deviations from our norm...

We've done the Pub Breakfast before and we've also done the Denny's breakfast before. The Denny's experience was great the first time (25 people), the second time we did it there were 4 of us.

Streamlining this would be best in my opinion.

2nd & 4th Sundays
        9:00AM - 10:00AM Seanachie Pub Breakfast
        10:00AM - 11:00AM Second Cup Coffee

All Other Sundays
        10:00AM - 11:00AM Starbucks Deerfoot Meadows

I know we were doing Starbucks always at the beginning. Can't remember why we started switching it up. Someone refresh my memory on that if it's an issue...

What do you guys think?
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I think that works great, however i'd change the time to either 9:30 or 10am for the breakfast. We all know that when we come out for 10am for coffee, we all usually end up there till about noon or later anyways unless the weather is THAT bad. 9am is an early start and this was a problem at the very beginning too.
          Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
            2nd & 4th Sundays

All Other Sundays
            i like this^

Comment

The parking lot meet will always happen and that is the spirit of the weekly event and IMO the best part. But for all but those miserably cold mornings where only a handful show up both the Starbucks and the Second Cup are too small. Most of the time you find people going to A&W, Rotten Ronnie's or Tim's before heading to the Second Cup. Now that the weather is getting better and standing outside with a cup of coffee is reasonable again, why not set a central spot with low traffic where we can park. Those that just want coffee can run through the drive through of their choice and park once. Those that want to grab a pub breakfast can park, grab breakfast, then meet in the lot after. That way cars do not have to move and all can participate. Then next year when it gets cold again the diehards can continue to meet most likely in the pub.

This is a low traffic lot that is kind of central and is always empty.

Comment

Great idea Bob, as I always felt obligated buying a peach square at second cup considering I was walking in with a rotten ronnies coffee.

Side note: took me a bit to figure out wtf rotten ronnies was haha
                Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

2nd & 4th Sundays

All Other Sundays
                  Agree with this too, didnt know you guys meet up every sunday. Ill try to come out this sunday and introduce myself
                  2003 Volkswagen Jetta Gli
                  2009 Audi S5

Instagram : Adrian.Cocis

Comment

I agree this is a good idea but do think that is way too early.

What about the option of switching the location completely to a pub that does allow under 18? That way everyone can enjoy good food and cars.
                    I've looked around and know that Tipperary's Pub on the corner of 16th ave and 19th street NW allows under 18 every day until 8PM. This is just one example though. Not saying it must be this location.
                    Last edited by VwSweetHeart; 03-24-2015, 08:38 AM.
                    ~Tracy~
                    MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
                    Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

OJ's and State and Main has started serving breakfast, both are easy to get to, allow U18 and S&M at Chinook has a ton of parking...

but i do agree coffee meets and breakfast meets are 2 completely different environments, staggering the 2 is a great idea.

Current
                      02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
                      04 GLI low and slow OG
                      Past
                      02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
                      00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

From October to March coffee meets are breakfast meets because they are inside the Starbucks or the Second Cup and people are eating or bringing in food from other fast food places.

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                          Rob, I could not agree with you more about everything you said.
                          RESPECT. Much love bro!

What do you guys think?
                          I think you should just keep it simple. I live close to Westhills however... if Deerfoot Meadows brings out the Euro's... then Deerfoot Meadows it should be. Just look at how much confusion there is throughout this thread on where we meeting, when, who, etc. Things like this become popular because they are predictable. Besides... with the Auto Mall around the corner and the Meadows Mile up the hill... seriously... isn't this car guy/girl central in the first place?

My proposal would be as follows:

Spring/Summer - Cars & Coffee:
                          [Every Sunday (April 1 - October 31)]

NOTE: ED Members are encouraged to join up for breakfast either before or after the meet.

Fall/Winter - Snow Tires & Sausage:
                          [Every Sunday (November 1 - March 31)]

10:00AM - 11:00AM Pub/Restaurant Breakfast (Location TBD)
                          FYI. I'm usually at the Ricki's in Westhills nearly every weekend for breakfast as it is.
                          Rob
                          Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                          Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by VwSweetHeart View Post
                            I agree this is a good idea but do think that is way too early.

What about the option of switching the location completely to a pub that does allow under 18? That way everyone can enjoy good food and cars.
                            I've looked around and know that Tipperary's Pub on the corner of 16th ave and 19th street NW allows under 18 every day until 8PM. This is just one example though. Not saying it must be this location.
                            Originally posted by gheron View Post
                            OJ's and State and Main has started serving breakfast, both are easy to get to, allow U18 and S&M at Chinook has a ton of parking...

but i do agree coffee meets and breakfast meets are 2 completely different environments, staggering the 2 is a great idea.

I am not opposed to this type of idea at all. Simplifies it for sure.
                            OJ's doesn't serve underage, at least not during regular hours...would have to call to find out. Tipperary's has Nutella Crepes...and not a bad menu. Never been to State & Main so don't know.

All of the three have their good sides. What are the bad?

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                            RESPECT. Much love bro!

I think you should just keep it simple. I live close to Westhills however... if Deerfoot Meadows brings out the Euro's... then Deerfoot Meadows it should be. Just look at how much confusion there is throughout this thread on where we meeting, when, who, etc. Things like this become popular because they are predictable. Besides... with the Auto Mall around the corner and the Meadows Mile up the hill... seriously... isn't this car guy/girl central in the first place?

NOTE: ED Members are encouraged to join up for breakfast either before or after the meet.

FYI. I'm usually at the Ricki's in Westhills nearly every weekend for breakfast as it is.
                            Even simpler Rob. Simple in this type of endeavour is always better. The less confusion the better...I think I would push two more months for the Fall/Winter Snow Tires & Sausage <- Yes, we will be using this name add April and October. I like being warmer and these months are still pretty unpredictable (also give us one more month of breakfast right now to do a trail run). That way it's 6 months for each.

[Every Sunday (May 1 - September 30)]

[Every Sunday (October 1 - April 30)]

So Tipperary's, OJ's, State & Main...any other options? I like the pub type atmosphere myself.
                            --
                            Rod
                            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post

With all due respect here.....I absolutely hate that Idea!! Sorry
                              For the last 2 years Patryk and myself, along with a hand full of others, have been very regular to these meets and I think I've seen you there maybe once or twice? Again no offense, but maybe those who come out ALL THE TIME, summer and winter, can have more of a say what happens here

I think this is a way better idea that Bob and Rod suggested. Way more balanced and then the location can stay the same.
                              Again, with the possibility of starting a bit later. 9:45- 10:45 breakfast and 10:30-11:30 coffee

2nd & 4th Sundays

All Other Sundays
                              Last edited by VwSweetHeart; 03-24-2015, 11:50 AM.
                              ~Tracy~
                              MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
                              Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

What if to simplify it, we just do

2nd & 4th Sundays
                                10:00AM - 11:00AM Coffee Outside the Seanachie Pub, same lot as the tims/wendys.

this way members who come for coffee can park with the people at the pub afterwards and chat.

All Other Sundays

Comment

Working...
                                X