New tires from TireBob!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires from TireBob!

Thanks to Bob and crew at Urban Expressions for getting myself and a couple co-workers set for winter. Great service as usual.

Going with Federal Hymalayas this time round, and adding studs, for good measure. Will wait a few more weeks before putting them on though.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: New tires from TireBob!

cant go wrong with Urban X, nothing but great experiences from me and my friends who have used them. im going federal himalayas as well. are studs quite loud? i was considering but not sure about them
    sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
    His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
    Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
    Past:
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
    2004 .:R32 BMP
    2001.5 Noggy blue s4
    2000 VW GTI 1.8T
    1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

studs can make a tire quite loud, I run the Nokian Hakk 5 studded winter tires, they come pre-studded from factory and they actually have a soft gel spot under the stud so when its warmer out the stud actually sucks up into the tire a bit so it doesnt wear prematurely and isnt quite as loud. above 60 kph i dont even notice the stud noise.
      Current:
      2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
      2013 VW Jetta 2.5
      Past:
      2005 VW JTI 1.8T
      1993 VW Jetta 2.0
      1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
      1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
      1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by asp gti View Post
        cant go wrong with Urban X, nothing but great experiences from me and my friends who have used them. im going federal himalayas as well. are studs quite loud? i was considering but not sure about them
        From what I understand, it's pretty much as said above. You will hear it at lower speeds, but less noticeable at high speed. First time I am trying studs, so we will see I suppose!
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Oh, you will hear them!!

Comment

I was talking to Bob the other day and I'm trying to decide between the Himalayas and Blizzaks. there's a good $500 difference between them. I have ws-70's on my Jetta, and I'm not thrilled with them, I'd give them an 8/10. I want a awesome tire for my golf that will see 100 km a day on deerfoot with no problems.

Comment

I have hakk 7's on the benz....... AWD + Studs = 140km/hr while there is a blizzard on the ring road
              Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Seems that the Federal ws2's are well received by Bob's clients at least. I know blizzaks are good, those were where my other option as well, but their markup is huge. Not sure that they would be 500$ awesom-er.
                Stefan
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                  Seems that the Federal ws2's are well received by Bob's clients at least. I know blizzaks are good, those were where my other option as well, but their markup is huge. Not sure that they would be 500$ awesom-er.
                  They really really are........ Winter tires are one of the rare items that more money = better! There is a HUGE difference between a Blizzak and a ws2. At the end of the day, the crappiest winter tire is still better then the best all season tire BUT the best winter is 1000% better then the crappiest winter. I would pay the extra $500 without question when it comes to winters and my families safety!

Here is my rating scale from driving on ALL of these options......
                  1: Hakk 7 (studded)
                  2: Any other studded
                  3: Tie between Nokian Hakk R, Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-60,LM-25,WS70) or Michelin (X-ICE2, Pilot Alpin)
                  4: Continental ExtremeWinterContact
                  5: Yoko Iceguard IG20
                  6: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II
                  7: Federal, Hankook, or Falken,
                  8: WinterClaw
                  Last edited by popp; 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popp View Post
                    They really really are........ Winter tires are one of the rare items that more money = better! There is a HUGE difference between a Blizzak and a ws2. At the end of the day, the crappiest winter tire is still better then the best all season tire BUT the best winter is 1000% better then the crappiest winter. I would pay the extra $500 without question when it comes to winters and my families safety!

Here is my rating scale from driving on ALL of these options......
                    1: Hakk 7 (studded)
                    2: Any other studded
                    3: Tie between Nokian Hakk R, Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-60,LM-25,WS70) or Michelin (X-ICE2, Pilot Alpin)
                    4: Continental ExtremeWinterContact
                    5: Yoko Iceguard IG20
                    6: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II
                    7: Federal, Hankook, or Falken,
                    8: WinterClaw

I'd have to put the x-ice lower. I haven't notice massive differences in the winter tires I have used, but the x-ice was one of the ones I liked least. It did poorly in wet-with-a-little-slush conditions. Was way too easy to break them loose in these situations. They were good on ice, I will say. But we get a lot of slush! The ones I ran after the ice-x was the yoko IG, and that worked better in my opinion.
                    Last edited by stefan; 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM.
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I'm running x-ice2's on my GLI and they are awesome. Of course not as good as studded tires on ice but if we have a winter like we did last year studded tires might wear out pretty quickly. Winterclaw's just suck haha, almost as good as some all season tires out there :P

Comment

Stefan, I don't know if you were running the x-ice and the x-ice2. The x-ice2 is the iphone 5 and the x-ice is the iPhone 1st gen

Comment

Stefan, I don't know if you were running the x-ice and the x-ice2. The x-ice2 is the iphone 5 and the x-ice is the iPhone 1st gen
                          Thinking about it, I think the were not the 2s.
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

So they are both behind the times?

I went from blizzaks to some cheaper winter tires (totally forget which ones) and I found them to actually work better in climate as some of the winter the roads are pretty clear.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I have X-Ice 2s on my GTI and they're pretty good on the snow and not bad on the pavement either... I had to leave them on until July since I was waiting for my summer tires
                              Last edited by CGY_GTI; 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM.
                              Scott
                              '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                              '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Working...
                              X