This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message Board Etiquette

As members come and go the forums evolve. Sometimes they evolve for the good and sometimes for the bad... Over the past year or so the evolution of this forum has degraded somewhat and I believe that it needs a gentle push to the positive. I leave here some basic guidelines on proper forum etiquette for EVERYONE to reflect on, even myself.

1. Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time.

2. Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.

3. Use a meaningful title for your thread.

4. Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through posts displayed to everyone.

5. Stay on topic.

6. Ignore spammers, respond to them personally and not through the board, or report them.

7. Use plain text over HTML if you want your post to be readable by everyone.

8. In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.

9. Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message across several forums).

10. Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help.

11. Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough.

12. When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to.

13. Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.

14. Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation.

15. Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages.

16. Do not post any information that you want private. Posts should not contain personal, identifiable information or content embarrassing to others.

17. Do not post content that violates a copyright.

18. Keep NSFW in the NSFW thread

19. Write concisely and do not ramble.

20. Do not chastise newbies.

These are put here as a guideline. Not as law. But remember, do unto others as you would have done unto you.
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Re: Message Board Etiquette

I don't like you, so none of what you posted above is applicable
    Last edited by Mantis; 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM.
    I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

I don't think I like your tone young man.
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

Drove

Comment

Nice work Rod! Hope this helps clean the forums up a bit

Pat

His
        1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
        1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
        1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
        2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
        Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Here comes the FUN POLICE!!!

JK...hope it works Rod...well done
          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

That hits most of the items on the head why I have bitter-vet sydrom. I barely post anymore and barely check in at all. A lot of things have changed in the club over the years. Not all of them for the better.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
              That hits most of the items on the head why I have bitter-vet sydrom. I barely post anymore and barely check in at all. A lot of things have changed in the club over the years. Not all of them for the better.
              My thoughts exactly. This used to be a useful and insightful place to discuss cars and related topics. Now it is overrun with immaturity and people flaming other people. Hopefully these new guidelines change things for the better.
              Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

Well Brent. I hope this helps in brining you back to the fold. I find ED to be one of the friendlier forums out there, but reminders every once in a while help
                --
                Rod
                Ex-presidente

Drive

Drove

Comment

Remember also guys, that as we get older our sense of humour and flexibility about some things changes. I, being one of the older ones (in age) on the forum, know this and I try to adjust my mentality to who is posting. I am more than twice the age of Kujiwara for example and actually have a daughter his age, so I try to read his posts through his mentality and let things slide off me. Which is not to say I don't shake my head in disbelief on occasion, just that I will try not to shake it in public.

All that public bashing or belittling do is drive away potential longtime contributing members. Guide them in a constructive way and 9 times out of 10 they get the message.
                  --
                  Rod
                  Ex-presidente

Drive

Drove

Comment

maturity is overrated.

that said i agree with you rod.

you know you're getting old when even the mk4 forums on vortex are becoming civil.
                    Team Highschool
                    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Thanks for putting this up Rod. Hopefully it will help clean things up!

Comment

So...

Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
                        Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
                        Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
                          . I find ED to be one of the friendlier forums out there,
                          This, im on ED more than anywhere else because I find for the most part its a lot friendlier and more helpful than many of the other forums, Vortex being one of the worst lol
                          sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                          His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                          Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                          Past:
                          B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                          B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                          2004 .:R32 BMP
                          2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                          2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                          1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Originally posted by asp gti View Post
                            This, im on ED more than anywhere else because I find for the most part its a lot friendlier and more helpful than many of the other forums, Vortex being one of the worst lol
                            Really? I found Vortex pretty helpful on the MKVI R section.

ED is more of a niche because you pretty much know the regular posters and are good-hearted people.

Beyond is a mix of everything haha; met a lot of good peeps there too!
                            Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

eurodrivers WAS and IS still helpful for me. I remember when I did my suspension in the mk4 I borrowed someone's spring compressor, soomeone's strut spreader tool, then got advice from another member about how much PITA the passenger side was to do, Then got help from two other members on separate occasion to finish and tidy things up. All this over a weekend. Now things have moved on and the shops seem to be more helpful now with advice and just plain chatting. However if I want questions answered I find I just go to the shops as they seem to take the questions more seriously than on the forums trolls only seem to exist online.
                              drive green ||
                              2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                              2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Working...
                              X