Repurposing the Centre Sun Visor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Repurposing the Centre Sun Visor!

Here is part one of EGTs PCB with LED, Wideband , STE-PPD install plus re-purposing the center visor . With tip some might find handy. Warning long and lots of images.

Remove all covers as it will make it easier to solder in the engine bay and you won't crack anything by leaning on them.

Remove intake, y-pipe and un-attach the coolant overflow tank and flip it out of the way.

the EGTs are bolted to the back of the manifold. Remove the harnesses and weave the cases out so you can place them on top of the manifold. We will be soldering them in place so there is no need to remove the thermocoupler from the manifolds.

This is where you need to insert a screw driver to crack open the case. It is farly brittle so take your time we will need this intact.

Interesting to note the OEM PCBs. The one on the left is not working and you can see the areas where there is corrosion on the soldered leads and on the PCB itself. The board on the right is functioning and notice that there is no corrosion and all solder points are clean and shiny. I have tried to re-solder EGTs in the past with marginal success. I am sure the reason for that is the flaws in some go further than just the main connections. Good thing we are replacing the boards entirely.

Now it is time to remove the Gel and the OEM PCBs from the sensor housings. This **** is a nightmare.

Once all the gel is all out it is time to solder in the new boards in place of the OEM boards. There will be two additional leads on for an additional sensor output that will be run to the LED displays and to devices like the STE-PPD and a ground. I chose to install proper harnesses with micro amps connectors & heat shields so they could be disconnected for engine pulls. Probably a good practice for anything you hook up under the hood of these things because as you all know the engine is going to come out at some time might as well make it easier.

I then secured the PCBs in the cases with MG Chemicals RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant. This is the low odor stuff made for electronics. Do not use any old silicone. If Audi used this stuff on the original PCBs I bet I would not be writing this DIY

Now while the silicone is setting up its time for some takeout.

I adopted to run another harness for the addition of the STE-PPD Boost Controller. It is a good idea to run as much of the wiring as you can think of because it is much easier once everything is all opened up. Pulling one wire is as hard as pulling 10.

Now it is time to cut the grommet on the firewall and cut the grommet on the main wiring harness as it enters the ECU weatherproof container. The ECU grommet has four spaces right above the wire bundle that with a little working can be made to accommodate the three harnesses the vacuum line and the wideband cable.

Once all the wiring is through the ECU box you feed it through the back into the cabin. This is after you remove the kick panel under the steering column. Lots of info on this if you have never done it. Just search hear or Google it.

As this is a three part DIY there is one common harness used by all three components. I made up this harness out of the harness from STE for the Wide band port on the PPD, the harness for the Zeitronix ZT-3 controller and a fused harness that will provide ground and switched 12v for the ZT-3, the two LED displays and the wide band O2.

I then tested the displays by temporarily wiring them up inside the cabin. Everything OK.

Now for finding out where to put the LEDs. Along with sensor output from the Left and right banks there was ground, 12v switched power and a light switch controlled power to aid in the dimming function. I initially attempted to put it in the rear view mirror but i didn't like the distraction the LEDs caused. This method is doable for any variety of displays but that is for another DIY. I opted to try putting them in the middle visor.

I cut the fronts with a sharp Exacto knife to the exact size of the displays. I positioned them tilted to the drivers view. They were then hot glued into place. The backs were cut to alow for the LEDs to protrude out the back and be soldered in place.

I then tapped up the front and back to get ready to fill in any gaps and truly integrate the LEDs into the visor. I used a flexible two part putty used for spot repairing automotive bumpers and trim. Once sanded It was now off to the "spray boof for cheap ass bastards" for a prime and a coat or two of Duplicolor Trim paint. This stuff is great because it finishes with a texture matching the OEM plastic.

Back from the Boof. I covered the back with a thin neoprene in flat black. I used double sided tape to fix the neoprene.

I then removed the air bag cover button on the driver side column to reveal the one torx screw that with two clips are the only things holding the cover in place. Just gently pull the cover away. Keep in mind there is an airbag in there. Its best to take off your Corduroy pants if you have Alcantara seats. No Sparks! Feed the 5 wires up through the pillar, zip tie it as you go. tuck it along the headliner and attach the leads to the visor. Once again I used AMP style micro connectors. Screw the visor back in.

The last thing was finding a tap for the light switch controlled power to control the dimming function of the LEDs. Another key function that is available when this is hooked in is that by turning on and off the lights 3 times puts the displays into configuration mode. This allows for the changing of the brightness of the displays and set the alarm threshold of the buzzer if you choose to install one. The default is set to 1000 degrees.

I chose to wire the lights controlled power to the drivers side vent wheel as it is the closest source to the all of the other wiring.

Now just button all the panels back on the kick pad and fuse panel and you are done part one of this three part install.

This DIY was sponsored by and Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum

Products used in this DIY

EGT PCBs and LEDs:

http://sidmotorsport.pl/pl/search?or...search=http://

Wideband: part 2

http://http://www.zeitronix.com/Prod...t-3/Zt-3.shtml

PPD: part 3

http://www.getste.com/
    Last edited by bobkatkat; 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM. Reason: Added links to products used in this DIY.

Comment

Do this to my car... Lol
      2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
      Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

I just realize I had not listed the products used in this DIY. So I have updated that at the end.

Comment

wow that's a frickin wicked write up and amazing result
          Team Highschool
          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
            wow that's a frickin wicked write up and amazing result
            Thanks. I guess you are able to see the pictures now?

Comment

Awesome write-up Bob. Lol
              --
              Rod
              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Feels like i'm reading a comic book. Excellent instructions!
                Current Fleet
                #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                2001 Cobra #88/3786
                1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Awesome write up Bob. A nice unique touch to the traditional DIY!
                  Patryk
                  Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                  08 VW .:R32
                  04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                    Awesome write up Bob. A nice unique touch to the traditional DIY!
                    This.
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
                    X