Windshield / Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield / Glass

What's the consensus on glass and windshield replacement? Took a nasty rock and split my windshield, just curious if anybody had any preferred shops?

I'm tempted to wait out until after winter, but it's driving me mental just looking at it.
    Evan
    08 R32
    88 Golf (soup kitchen)

Re: Windshield / Glass

There was a thread about this roughly 6 months ago. Seemed like half said to go with oem. Half said just to buy cheap replacement stuff. I got mine replaced at the place just down by TuneDub. I think it was 180-200$. Fine so far, one small chip.
    Last edited by BolideVW; 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM.
    Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by BolideVW View Post
      There was a thread about this roughly 6 months ago. Seemed like half said to go with oem. Half said just to buy cheap replacement stuff. I got mine replaced at the place just down by TuneDub. I think it was 180-200 fine so far, one small chip.
      Awesome, thanks man. Should have dug through the board a bit more.
      Evan
      08 R32
      88 Golf (soup kitchen)

Comment

Personally I would wait for the Cal-Alta group on. Replaced 3 windshields personally, my parents replaced one, and not a single complaint about it. R32 windshield might be a bit more due to the rain sensor.
        Patryk
        Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
        08 VW .:R32
        04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I've done cal alta for my f150 when I had it $180 was the total I think. The rs4 has a crack spreading in two directions but ill wait till spring. Does it cost more for the rain sensor? And what do they do?

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
            Personally I would wait for the Cal-Alta group on. Replaced 3 windshields personally, my parents replaced one, and not a single complaint about it. R32 windshield might be a bit more due to the rain sensor.
            There's a deal going now for this again with DealFind
            http://www.dealfind.com/en/calgary/28154589

Rain sensor does cost more.
            Last edited by VwSweetHeart; 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM.
            ~Tracy~
            MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
            Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Nice! Thanks for passing this on!
              Evan
              08 R32
              88 Golf (soup kitchen)

Comment

I replaced my windshield at speedy glass at crowfoot, awesome service, very quick job, exact same windshield from OEM supplier, and only costed me $380.
                Current Fleet
                #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                2001 Cobra #88/3786
                1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I had mine replaced at Crystal Glass with something that was supposed to be OEM equivalent… started chipping right away and needs to be replaced again.

A friend of mine had the glass in her Rabbit replaced by Loc @ Cosmos with and actual OEM windshield - still in great shape a couple years later.
                  Work - houzz / linkedin
                  Play - haldex swap

Comment

We should have a sticky for windsheild replacement deals, since its something EVERYONE will need...and some of us at least once a year!

Rod and Ryan???
                    Last edited by Geobmx4life; 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM.
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I follow a bunch of the online coupon apps so when I see deals on windshields and such I can post it here.
                      ~Tracy~
                      Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

any of you guys go through insurance? i have it on both cars with RBC but never tried.. i called about it once and i think i had to pay about 1/2 the price anyways oem or aftermarket..

FWIW deerfoot daily mise as well get the aftermarket one and replace yearly..

s4 needs one so bad but and AR will next spring.. i fucking hate alberta roads

Comment

Originally posted by VwSweetHeart View Post
                          I follow a bunch of the online coupon apps so when I see deals on windshields and such I can post it here.
                          That'd be cool Tracy...looks like I'm waiting til the spring now anyways, but if a really good deal comes up, I'll jump on it.
                          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                            That'd be cool Tracy...looks like I'm waiting til the spring now anyways, but if a really good deal comes up, I'll jump on it.
                            Usually you get anywhere from 6 months to a year to use it before they expire. Windshield ones come up all the time though
                            ~Tracy~
                            Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Rain sensor usually is only a tad more, looked into doing the ladies mk4 with Crystal Glass, and it was $140 installed without, $180 with sensor. I recommend the Diamon protection because we have so many rocks and big trucks here. Ive had pretty decent sized pebbles jump up and i see it coming, they just bounce right off. Ive had tiny tiny little chips you cant even see. Since last april ive had nothing happen to mine but soooo many rocks have hit it.
                              I take pictures for money.

Comment

Working...
                              X