Paint/Body Work Questions Answered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paint/Body Work Questions Answered!

Curious what an approximate cost would be to fill a pair of license plate holes on a front bumper, and have the bumper resprayed for rock chips/etc. Also curious what an approximate cost would be for extending the respray to the blend the front end and get the first bit of the hood/fenders for chips.

Thanks for any insight.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinAndrews View Post
      Curious what an approximate cost would be to fill a pair of license plate holes on a front bumper, and have the bumper resprayed for rock chips/etc. Also curious what an approximate cost would be for extending the respray to the blend the front end and get the first bit of the hood/fenders for chips.

Thanks for any insight.
      Bumper, around $1000, front end respray $2500+
      Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

How much to mount some side skirts (already painted and 3m'd)?
        Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
        hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstoned View Post
          How much to mount some side skirts (already painted and 3m'd)?
          Best bet would be to drop by for a quote somewhere. Probably looking around an hour labour.
          Last edited by hooddub; 07-07-2015, 06:33 PM.
          Evan

Comment

Going to fix some cracks in a plastic bumper, recommendation for good crack repair product and which body filler for plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by jschmidtjordan View Post
              Going to fix some cracks in a plastic bumper, recommendation for good crack repair product and which body filler for plastic.
              3M MMM4240 Duramix Semi-Rigid Plastic Repair
              But you'll need the gun to use it, luckily I was able to borrow one.
              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by jschmidtjordan View Post
                Just about to do a little DIY for this exact topic. I just repaired someone in the clubs bumper this week. Did a body filler less, glue-less repair on some big cracks and even had a huge chunk missing.

Comment

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
                  Just about to do a little DIY for this exact topic. I just repaired someone in the clubs bumper this week. Did a body filler less, glue-less repair on some big cracks and even had a huge chunk missing.
                  Did you plastic weld it? I have been working on an aftermarket bumper but I think it is glass filled abs or something as it will not melt together. I have been able to repair one piece so far by epoxying the back side to hold it then v scoring the front to fill with a high end plastic glue.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                    Did you plastic weld it? I have been working on an aftermarket bumper but I think it is glass filled abs or something as it will not melt together. I have been able to repair one piece so far by epoxying the back side to hold it then v scoring the front to fill with a high end plastic glue.
                    Yes I plastic welded it. You really need to weld with the same or very similar material. If it is aftermarket and some sort of FRP it may not weld or it may be hard to identify the plastic that was used. There are universal welding rods that have a mix of 5 plastics the for most plastic parts on a car one of its components is most likely to match. If you can't weld it then epoxy with Kevlar on the back and universal welding rods or a really good flexible filler made for bumpers would be the best.

Comment

Well the bumpers are really think so I think my patches will hold up well. The material must be glass filled as when heated really hot it just scrapes off and doesn't bond together again. The glue I got for the outside seams was recommended by my body shop so hopefully it works out fine.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

hello people!

looking to get my front bumper redone. car is an 07 rs4. any idea what i should be expecting pay for something like this? im guessing it has to be sanded and repainted.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

The best stuff for plastic repair besides plastic welding as Bob mentioned above would be Fusor 142. You need a gun almost like a caulking gun to use it though.
                          And as for bumper resprays, you can expect to pay around $1000 typically however things like the condition of the bumper and disassembly/reassembly time can often change that number by quite a bit.
                          Evan

Comment

Working...
                          X