My Ginster Mk3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Ginster Mk3

Does anybody have any idea why my car keeps ripping through front engine mount brackets? I've been through 3 in the last 4 years, and approximately 20k km. Pictured here is a mangled engine mount from 2015. (I can't seem to find a picture from the one that broke in the summer of 2017).

I got a used bracket from pick n pull like usual, but this time I took some precautionary measures. I cut it some gussets and welded them on to the mount to reinforce it. The bung for one of the bolts was spot welded from the factory, and it tore off on the previous engine mount so I welded it all the way around, just in case.

That was a few months ago, so the reinforced engine mount bracket rusted a bit. A wire wheel took care of that, and then I hit it with a coat of paint to protect it from any future rust. I wanted a color that was bright, so I could see any deformations or cracks easier. So I painted it gold to match my oil pan and engine cover (mostly because I just had the paint laying around.) it was ready to put in.

After taking the old one out, I was able to fully see the damages. Interestingly enough, it failed in quite a different way than the other two times. This time the spot welds held, and the whole ear of the engine mount ripped off. The whole box section was twisted as well..

I also picked up a Seibon carbon fiber hood and hatch from a friend last week. They've been sitting in storage for a long time, so they need refinishing. I threw the hood on for now as it was easier. Although, I did need to diddle the hood latch to get it to lock properly. For the hatch, I need to get some rear glass and a wiring harness first as I don't want to steal it from my steel hatch.

I like the look of the carbon fiber hood more than I thought than I would. But I think I'll most likely paint the hatch to match the body. I'll decide when I see what I looks like on the car.

I have a question for you guys though. Personally, I hate the look of hood pins, but Im also scared of my floppy carbon fiber (mostly fiberglass) hood flopping around at Stoney speeds and flying up and dying... If I do get any sort of secondary hood latching I would most likely get the flush AeroCatch ones, but I'm still not a fan of the look of them. Is there any other low key fastener you guys know of? Do any of you run carbon fiber hoods without any sort of secondary fastener? Yolo?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Is the latch that poorly fixed to the underside of the hood?

Comment

You could try installing the corrado transmission brace. Should help with the front to back rocking of the engine, which could be the issue with your front mount. I have always ran BFI poly engine mounts and G60 transmission mount in my VRT's and never had an issue with front mount cracking. Are you running stock engine mounts and transmission mount?

Also let me know how the install on the hatch goes. I still have mine that i have not installed yet and I am curious how it will all go together.
        Last edited by Mcrow; 05-22-2019, 07:32 PM.
        Mitch

1996 Harlequin
        2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Sounds to like you have aggressive acceleration problems
          more power + acceleration = more engine movement

Poly Bushings + reinforced mounts are probably going to help.

Comment

In regards to the hood latch.. I'm only scared because I've worked enough with carbon fiber to know how it fails. With no warning, and dramatically haha. I mean, it looks fine, but the latch shattering and the hood flying up would just kinda always be on the back of my mind y'know?

I currently have BFI stage 0.5 poly engine mounts, and a solid G60 trans mount.
            I totally forgot the Corrado trans brace existed however, thanks for the reminder Mitch. As far as power goes; at the end of the day, torque is torque right? Yeah, I run this car pretty hard. But it's still a lightly modded 12v VR6, it dyno'd at 180whp and 173 ftlb of torque. Plenty of VRT guys with double or even triple the power and torque are running these mounts with no issues reported (that I could find, atleast). I'm hoping my reinforced mount will help, and I'll be looking for, or making a trans mission brace.

Cheers

Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

I installed the corrado brace last season and it seemed to make a little bit of a difference. I bought it off a Corrado but it would be a super easy part to fab up. To attest to your statement, I have ran the 0.5 mounts on both my VRT's and they are just fine.

And the carbon looks good. I have a soft spot for carbon fibre, it's just so pretty.
              Last edited by Mcrow; 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM.
              Mitch

1996 Harlequin
              2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Maybe the chassis is flexing (despite the strut brace)?

Comment

Time to update this thread! I originally wasnt planning on bringing this car out this summer, but I changed my mind last minute and decided to enter the car into Eurofest.... Only issue was that I decided this 5 days before Eurofest.... So this next post will summarize my 5 day full send to get the car presentable.

The car looked pretty gross and sad... I believe the last time I drove it was Sept-Dec of 2018 while I was waiting for my Fairlady to arrive from Japan... The winter and year of storage in a dusty barn really showed..

I started off with repairing the carbon fiber hood and hatch. They're very old and used parts so they've gotten quite sunfaded and yellowed over the years. There were also a few large chips in the resin which were filled with epoxy resin, and sanded flat.

After I was happy with the chip repair I sanded off as much of the old yellowed finish as I could (being careful not to sand into the actual carbon fiber weave). Now, to refinish it you could spray some 2k clear onto it and call it a day, but I wanted to experiment a bit more... I decided to tint my clearcoat with Audi Mythos Black paint, this accomplished 2 things. First off: the black tint overpowers the yellow fading alot, making the part look alot blacker in the sun, the downside is you do lose a tiny bit of the carbon fiber detail, but it's still unmistakenly carbon. I think this is 100% worth it for the de-yellowing effect. Secondly: Mythos Black is a really pearly/metallic black, and it has now left a slight flake in my carbon when it hits the sun. This effect is almost 100% unnoticeable unless you actually look for it, just what I wanted

The first picture kinda shows the flake a bit. But overall, I'm extremely pleased with how these parts came out!

Next up refinishing some more used parts! Surprise surprise. (theres actually so few brand new parts that I've bought for this car lol) these are some optikwerk ABT replica sideskirts that I got off Zachs Ginster partout in Edmonton. They were in okay shape, had some chips and scratches, but the biggest thing was I hated the finish on it. It was all lumpy and just overall cheap looking. I sanded them down and recoated them with bedliner!

I also found these old beat up headlight covers at Pick N Pull years ago. They were cracked and had some chunks missing around the edges. I repaired all the cracks and chips with carbon fiber from the backside and then smoothed it in the front with some Bondo. After that I painted them grey to block light evenly, and then had Joe Denny wrap them in matte white, with some satin black Hella Logos.

After that I performed a quick paint correction, mostly to remove the overspray from me painting other stuff in the barn, and to bring back some gloss. It also prepped the surface to install my new decal kit. I designed this decal package with Joe, and he installed it for me while I was scrambling to get the rest of the car done. Most of it was precut and trimmed to fit on the car, but a few parts were made fully with knife less tape in order to get fitment and gaps perfect on the C-Pillar.

The main idea with this decal kit is I wanted my car to pop a bit more for 2020. Don't get me wrong, I did love the clean OEM+ look but I've been itching to go for a retro racer type design. Another thing this decal kit did was tie my carbon panels into the rest of the car uniformly. I personally dislike the look of a random carbon panel slapped onto a colorful car, so the main design philosophy for this was that every ginster yellow panel would have some sort of black on it, whether it was trims, or decals, and every piece of carbon had to have ginster yellow on it. I'm very happy with the design on the hatch, it really blends the carbon panel in well with the rest of the body, the "pinstripe heckblende" also hides the fact that the plate tub is just gloss black and not carbon. I feel it just really ties the rear end together. The hood on the other hand I'm not 100% happy with, I mean I don't hate the design, but I feel like I could redesign it to integrate the yellow and carbon a bit more effectively.

I also noticed that my side VR6 badges were really worn out, so Joe cut me some new overlays in brushed aluminum vinyl and threw those on too. Meanwhile, I picked up some new wheels from Bryan, and got some tires mounted at Tony's Auto Service! Then, I threw on the fresh carbon bits, wheels and skirts! After that, I had Court from Don't Panic Auto glass to install my rear hatch glass.

Et voila! One car ready for Eurofest, 6 hours before the show started haha. Overall, I'm extremely please with this 5 day makeover. I can't thank Joe, Court, Bryan, and Jesse/Shane at Tonys enough for working with me in such short notice to get the car done on my ridiculous timeline! I'll get some proper glamor shots posted in a day or two but lemme know what you guys think

Last edited by GingerBeef; 10-20-2020, 06:53 PM.
                  Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

• My Ginster Mk3

Looks awesome. Great design on the black vinyl. You’ve got a good eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by jacktown; 10-20-2020, 07:25 PM.
                    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

It's looking great buddy! I really like the go fast decals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      --
                      Rod
                      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Looks really cool, has that retro racer look going on and I still love MK3s!!!
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Thanks for the feedback friends, here's a different kind of post for me... Minimal text, just some good ol fashioned whoring.

First off, some pics by Danny at the Eurofest show. (proud to say that my car took home runner up VW! My first non mk3s specific award haha)

Set by Ryan Ferguson

Set by Kyle Hugo

Set by Nolan Frisky

Final set from Blake Speers (these rollers are nutty)

That's about all for this season.. My drivers side rear fender flare ripped off on Crowchild on my way home from the shoot with Blake, and then it snowed like 1.5 weeks later. Back to the barn for now...

Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Working...
                          X