My Ginster Mk3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Ginster Mk3

Yay updates! Any progress is good progress! Sucks about the cams but totally right. Better to have it running good then fast lol

(I always wonder if people care about my million thread posts too haha)

Sent from my Igloo
    2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
    2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
    2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

That locking plate tool is pretty awesome! Make another one so we can do my chains next summer
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Mini update. Forgot my camera so pardon the potato spec photos brought to you by my amazing phone...

So, got the engine timed, double checked, triple checked, quadrouple checked and it seems good.

So.. i drenched every visible piece of metal with assembly lube for a smoother first start and checked the timing again.

Also, assembly lube may be my new #1 most hated fluid... thats stuffs so gross. and checked the timing again.
        Last edited by GingerBeef; 10-24-2014, 02:56 PM.
        Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
        ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
        PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Updates! (with pictures that wont make you want to gouge your eyeballs out)

So, over the week i got my intake manifold painted and polished. It seems to be a little cloudy still, but no visible sanding marks so i think i may have to spend some more time with the 11k and 2k grit sandpaper and re-polish it... although im kinda digging the look. (and im lazy)

My oil pan was also looking a little tired so... into the sand blaster, a few coats of Pimp Gold and slapped it back on the block
          Also, my Mech-301 instructor looked at me funny when i cut the plug off my broken oil pan heater and proceeded to reinstall it... had to explain that the purpose of it was to TRY to save my oil pan when i go over things.. but as you can see, its taken a hit or two for my pan already! Plus, its stainless steel and i thought it looked pretty cool :P

Quadruple checked that the timing marks were all lined up... again, slapped on a new rear main seal and reinstalled my lower and upper chain covers! Another quick smother with assembly lube and the valve cover went back on.... starting to look like an engine again! Should be ready to reinstall by the end of next week after i do a bit more porting work to the intake manifold.

Oh.. and one last thing. Hecho En Mexico Happy Halloween everyone!
          Last edited by GingerBeef; 10-30-2014, 03:57 PM.
          Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Engine has been fully assembled with fresh gaskets, new water pump, spark plugs, and other stuff. Also got the new brakes on, SAI deleted too! I had to reroute and loop a few vacuum hoses but whatever.. SAI is lame.

Putting on the header with the engine out was wayy easier... but still... something i never want to do again! It sure is a great feeling when the pile of parts get smaller and smaller.

Tomorrow the engine leaves the stand, new flywheel and clutch will get bolted on and then i try to shoehorn it back into the dirty bay with new mounts!

Last edited by GingerBeef; 11-06-2014, 08:55 PM.
            Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Still lots of room for a turbo there Jason..lol....BOOST FTW!!!
              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                Still lots of room for a turbo there Jason..lol....BOOST FTW!!!
                This!! Haha damn Jason this makes me wish I had money in high school/actually did stuff in shop class.. So much time wasted trying to avoid my teacher instead of building VR6s...
                Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

dont' know how i missed this thread. Great work on reviving this car!

Comment

Pick n Pull score this weekend! Full padded leather GLX door cards! I shall be giving them a scrub down and full detail tomorrow! Best 40$ spent ever, of all time.

On to today... FAIL! Forgot to get my flywheel resurfaced while the engine was apart... sigh... sent it off today
                    So, today was a "little things" day Cleaned up a bit of wiring, deleted some things like the post cat 02 sensor, PCV, EGR and SAI. Also fixed a droopy rubstrip. Engine shall be going in as soon as i get that flywheel back!

Had some time left over today and i realized that i havnt shown you guys my GTIs room-mates for the semester! My friend Josh's 1976 Cobra II and Chris' 1983 AE86!
                    The Cobra is getting a quick tuneup and scrub down, followed by some bodywork and a respray. Meanwhile, the AE86 is undergoing a full engine rebuild on its original 4AGE.

Totally gonna have a sweet hatchback photoshoot this spring
                    Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Welcome to rich kids high school lol
                      Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Nice find on the door cards.
                        Mitch

1996 Harlequin
                        2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Do jetta front door cards fit on a 2 door golf? Pretty sure the doors are different sizes no?
                          Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                          -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                          -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                            Do jetta front door cards fit on a 2 door golf? Pretty sure the doors are different sizes no?
                            Sorry.. jsut to calrify, Jetta/Golf door cards do not fit GTIs, I just called them GLX door cards cause the GLXs had this style... i didnt actually know there was a 2 door version till this weekend because my car was fully loaded from the factory and i just have those lame sticky vinyl ones. For the record these came off a 1998 GTI VR6 .. so perhaps its a later model option? Maybe Mitch can chime in with his knowledge.

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                            Welcome to rich kids high school lol
                            Hahaha
                            Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Mini update this week, it was planned that the tranny would go in early this week, but we encountered a problem with the motor mount. Earlier i posted the carnage from the front mount, but monday i discovered that the engine side rear mount didnt fare so well either, it was bent and a bolt broke off into it. Wasted some time with the torch, drill and hammer fixing it. Helicoiled the treads and everything was good!

But oh well, finally, clutch and transmission are in! Next week everything gets bolted down and torqued, final motor mounts will be installed with BFI poly bushings. Hopefully my new tune arrives soon and i can wrap this project up with rewiring and plumbing! *fingers crossed*

Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

looking good! just don't forget to torque your axle like me....
                                Current Fleet
                                #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                                2001 Cobra #88/3786
                                1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                                2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                                2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                                X