X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Ginster Mk3

Nice pics!!!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Needs a turbo....seats look great and probably feel great too! Love it Jason!
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
        Nice pics!!!!
        Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
        the recaros look awesome.
        Thanks! Really stoked about the seats, not so much about my photography skills though..

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
        Needs a turbo....seats look great and probably feel great too! Love it Jason!
        No turbo in my future... but boost will be happening this winter (hopefully). Im continuing with the unconventional route in regards to the whole VW thing, this time by bolting on Monte Carlo SS parts

Last edited by GingerBeef; 09-28-2017, 07:11 PM.
        Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
        ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
        PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Lol.....ATTA BOY!!!!! I'd like to put my name on your ride list please!!!!!
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Disclaimer: Long post ahead.

So some of you may have noticed that the yellow mk3 hasnt made many appearances this summer. Well, first off, as soon as I pulled it out of winter storage it started puking tranny fluid out of the input shaft... so I had to top it off every 50 or so kms of driving. Next, things took a turn for the worse when I hit a lump on the road, I couldnt react fast enough to air up and smashed a hole in my bell housing.

So that pretty much sealed the deal as far as enjoying the summer in this car... so I threw it back into the garage and pulled out my Honda Civic for its new summer duties.

The Civic was great, but then it promptly got stolen from my driveway 6 days later. Thankfully(?) it was recovered, but in terrible shape. There was oil all over the engine bay, the rear diffuser and spoiler were stolen, the whole car was sanded with 80grit and the front end was spray bombed white...

So that wrote off the Civic from being my daily in the mean time (quite literally). Obviously I did what any logical person does and bought another car! I was initially looking for a mk4 1.8t to pass the time, but then this thing popped up and I had to have it. A 1999 Suzuki Kei Works.

I absolutely fell in love with this car. A whopping 660ccs, 3 cylinders and a turbo pushing a monstrous 69hp is all you need to move 750kgs around. The car is so fun to drive in the city, and 50mpg was nothing to complain about either. Im quite sad that ill be parting with this car as soon as the GTI is back on the road. But such is life.

Anyways, back to the main event here. Ive pulled the drivetrain, and I've also pulled just the trans in this car. From experience I believe its much quicker to just pull the engine and trans as one unit from the top versus wrestling the transmission in and out through the subframe so I got to work.

That engine pull was a personal best for me! Took 2 hours between pulling it in the garage and having the engine and trans out. Then I split the engine from the trans to asses the situation. Pure carnage is all I have to say. At first glance it appears that the piece of bellhousing that broke off went into the trans, caught the fly wheel, got dragged around scraping the **** out of the pressure plate and the inside of the bellhousing before eventually punching its way out of the top.

Originally I was planning on welding the smashed bit up, but clearly I need a new bellhousing... Luckily Eric smashed a hole in his transmission on the other half of the casing on his way back from Leavenworth (sorry Eric!). So he gave me his old broken trans for free! Just needed to tear it apart and harvest the good bell housing off of it. Now, I was under the impression that you ugga dugga a few bolts off and the bellhousing just separates from the main case. Nope. In actuality you have to completely disassemble the trans and the bellhousing is the final piece left over. Of course.

While everything was all apart I figured that I might as well do some upgrades. I ordered a Wavetrac LSD and sent the pile of parts over to Calgary Autoworks! This is pretty much the first time I've ever paid to get work done on the mk3, but after tearing the parts trans apart I realized that I didnt want to screw something up and destroy my brand new diff.

On the bench at CAW we discovered that it was not the piece of bellhousing that caused all this chaos. It turned out that the 3 bolts for the input shaft seal backed out. So that explains why my input shaft seal started dumping fluid. You can see in the 2nd pic that one completely backed off, thats the one that eventually got caught on my pressure plate, the other two were finger tight.

While the Wavetrac was being installed at CAW I figured that I should reinforce the clutch fork as I heard that theyre a common failure part on O2A transmissions. I started looking at pictures of broken ones to find the failure point and that caused some confusion.. theres a couple of companys who make reinforced clutch forks to prevent this but in my opinion theyve reinforced the part in completely the wrong spots.

And you can see, they typically fail on the sides, yet people reinforce the faces for some reason. Id say that if anything the heat affected zone of these welds would make the failure point even weaker. With that in mind, I came up with my own reinforced clutch fork that in my opinion should do its job better. Started off with paper template, copied it in metal, bent it to shape and welded it up.

This brings us now to a few days ago, finally got my trans back with a clean bill of health. LSD installed with fresh bearings and seals, hopefully itll be good for another 20 years!

Time for more upgrades! Anyone whose driven a mk3 knows that the shifters are terrible. So I got the whole shifting setup out of a mk4. Shift tower, shifter box and cables all out of an 02J. The shift tower itself was bolt in, just take the mk3 junk out and plop in the slightly less junk mk4 stuff. The biggest bonus is that with the mk4 setup a whole bunch of short shifter options open up. I think ill eventually pick up a Diesel Geek Sigma 5 short shifter, but ill enjoy this fresh upgrade for some time first.

The shifter box is a different story though, many people on the mk3 forums chop apart the tunnel and then part of the shifter hole itself to clear the bigger mk4 box. But after some measurements and thought I came up with a different solution. I dremeled out the rear mounting holes in the 02J box to fit the existing mk3 studs, then I quickly made a bracket to adapt the other half of the 02J box into the mk3 chassis. You know the drill, measure a million times, paper template, cut out of metal, bend and weld.

And bam! Youve got an OEM+ shifter without cutting the mk3 chassis at all! Final touches were to tap some threads onto the mk4 shifter shaft so that my OEM mk3 knob threaded on.

Finally, with some words of encouragement I mated the trans to the block again, and started to bolt that sucker in.

Almost back together just in time for winter... tomorrow I need to fill the trans with fluid, bolt the exhaust to the header, attach the axles and then finally throw on the front end!
            Last edited by GingerBeef; 10-10-2018, 09:23 PM.
            Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Amazing as always Jason; great work!
              Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Last edited by Geobmx4life; 10-10-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Looking at the incredible amount of work you get in I feel like I'm the laziest person on the planet haha. Great job!

Comment

Buckled up the last few tasks today. Man is it good to be driving this car again. I havnt put too many kms on the car yet, but I took it for a nice little rip around the community. That LSD is sweet, I noticed the difference immediately when I mashed the throttle in first gear. It still spins the tires but its alot more controlled and spins alot less. Its also nice being able to apply throttle mid corner without understeering and dying. I think that O2J shifter swap made just as big of of a difference though when it comes to just putting around town. I cant believe I lived with that floppy horse cock Mk3 shifter for the last five years... Also, the Suzuki went off to its new home tonight. I think ill be buying a set of winters for the Mk3 and temporarily winter drive it untill the new winter beast arrives from overseas. Im planning on completely redoing the body either this year or next year so im not too concerned about the salt.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
                    Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Ok dope work, but what are those Hoosier slicks for?
                      Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                        Ok dope work, but what are those Hoosier slicks for?
                        I was running them on my little Suzuki haha. Now that its sold, nothing. But theyll probably make their way onto a Mk1 GTI eventually.

Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

That tranny issue sounds eerily familiar. The same three bolts came out of my RS2 transmission a few years back.

One got wedged behind the pressure plate and bored a home through the bell housing.

I was able to get the hole welded and it has been fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
                          2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
                          2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
                          2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
                          2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
                          2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

Yikes Dave, your transmission looks alot more expensive than mine, good thing it was fixable [emoji23]

Very tiny update this time. My reverse lights never worked since the O2J shifter swap, but it was a simple issue. The electrical connector for the reverse light switch was different than the original mk3 one. Luckily the junkyard saved the day as usual. I grabbed a male plug from a Mk2 that matched my stock harness and a femal plug from a random mk4 then made a simple adapter harness.

Yay. Reverse lights (ill maybe wash the car eventually). While I was in the yard I saw a mk3 Cabrio! Chopped off a section of the car for a future project and then went on with my day.

Lastly, I figured it was about time to swap to winters. After taking my summers off and looking at the horrific state of my tires I confirmed that it was indeed time to swap to winters.

I got a cheap winter tire setup because my new winter vehicle is still across the Pacific Ocean. This sounded like a financially logical choice, that is, untill I spent the same amount of money as I did on the wheels to get H&R spacers because I wont stand for even the most temporary of battle ship fitment. I think they look funny. Kind of looks like a Hotwheels toy.

Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Might have to roll those coilover up a bit or else you'll be the local snowplow.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                                Might have to roll those coilover up a bit or else you'll be the local snowplow.
                                Im on air
                                Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X