MKIV GTI - Rebuild Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV GTI - Rebuild Edition

Well, after not having a euro for a while.. managed to get myself a bit of a project car. Its a bone stock 00 Matchstick Red GTI, unfortunately I don't have pictures of it in its current form because the shell is in Stettler. The car was in a minor rear end collision and later the motor was hydrolocked and bent a rod.

Plans as of now:
    Build engine out of all the **** I have in my garage
    Find fenders and throw the Jetta front end on to fix front end
    Pull 5th gear out of spare diesel 02J and swap into gas trans
    Convince my cousin to sell me back my old wheels
    Coilovers once wheels are tangible

This will probably be a little slow because it is more of a journal for me, but we will see how it goes. I will probably skip lots of things in the process, but if anyone has any questions just ask. Onto the pictures!

Re: MKIV GTI - Rebuild Edition

Started off by cleaning absolutely everything! Still have to paint the block.. waiting for a nice warm day. Some before and after pictures of some random parts that I actually remembered to take pictures of.

Last edited by danosaur; 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Sounds interesting, but picks no worky. :(
      Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
      ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
      PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Work fine for me. Watching!
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Then I went ahead and started on the head. I am putting everything back together 100% stock so if you're building or modifying a motor or head there is a lot of steps that I will be skipping. Luckily the car was an 00 and is an AWD engine code which means 06A block, small port head and 20mm wrist pin connecting rods! These motors are awesome and will hold up to a fair amount of power completely stock. Unfortunate that they were narrow band.. may have to fix that at a later date.

If you are disassembling a head remember to mark every cam cap for direction and location of install as well as all of the intake and exhaust buckets.

This is my solution to these stupid intake valves. Didn't want to pay for the specialty tool.

Head disassembled.. what a pain. These pictures are a little out of order because of the cleaning. The valves had a decent amount of carbon buildup.. didn't take before pictures however. Best workplace i've found so far.

New valves and stem seals installed, putting the springs and retainers back in.

Comment

Onto the block.. gonna finish stripping it and then painting it this weekend. Deglazed the cylinders. Put the pistons and rods together. Anyone taking one of these apart should note location and direction of the main caps.

Plastigauged the main journals and rod journals.. no pictures of the rods being done. Used all the old stretch bolts to do the clearances.. had to order an asston of bolts. Just got the connecting rod bolts today so the bottom end will be done and torqued to spec. Painted as well weather permitting.

Big box of parts!

Lots of cleaning to do on the transmissions before I do the gear swap.. bummer.

I'll update this again this weekend if I get anything done!

Comment

Awesome work! Wish I had the time/money/inclination to strip my engine down again and paint it all this time before reassembly.

Comment

Looks good. Aren't you supposed to torque cycle the stretch bolts for the rods? (I'm not sure as I didnt use OEM). Maybe you did, I'm just assuming you didn't because you said you used old stretch bolts for the clearances.
                Dylan

Comment

Torque cycle? As in re torquing like arp? Once you start stretching the stretch bolts you can't reuse them, he just used the old stretch bolts to plastiguage.
                  2002 Jetta TDI
                  2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                  1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Yeah thats what I was wondering, since arp is what I used, but I thought the oem ones still required something similar. Guess im just out to lunch or something.
                    Dylan

Comment

Oem bolts you torque to a certain figure and then they get a quarter turn or so of stretch and then some ask for additional stretch after the engine has been warm. I hate the feeling of stretching stretch bolts
                      2002 Jetta TDI
                      2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                      1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Huh interesting, good to know. Glad I went with ARP
                        Dylan

Comment

Yeah I just used the already stretched bolts to check clearances. Just got the new bolts yesterday so now I have to press out the old ones and install the new ones.. They are TTY or stretch so it's just done with an initial torque then an angle to stretch it. I saw no point to installing arp hardware on the oem rods as I do not plan to take this motor back apart and oem holds to the point of bending or breaking the rods.

Comment

Nice rebuild. I'd love to see some pics of your ride
                            Das auto sucht sich seinen fahrer selbst aus

Click here to check out my ride

Comment

Forgot to take pictures but the rods and pistons are in. Tomorrow is a nice day so I will finish stripping all of the paint off the block and spraying it. Then its time to put the head on it and get it all timed up. Might be turfing the bike due to knee surgery, so I might put some goodies on the car once I get it running and driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X