Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinkng of purchasing a 2005 S4 150K

Originally posted by longsock View Post
    So guys, I don't know if I should start a new thread or not but I found 2 BMWs which I like and I'm trying to decide on.

2005 BMW X5 3.0I 120 xxx
    2002 BMW 745li 120 xxx

Anyone ever own such cars? What do you think? etc etc
    Long time BMW fan/owner here. I owned a 2004 X5 3.0 for about 3 years, and it was a great vehicle. The M54 engine (3.0L straight six) is well known as one of BMW's most reliable engines. I purposely sought out a 3.0L as it has fewer expensive bits and is easier to work on in general than the V8 engines. I'm must not be alone as I found the 3.0 vehicles sell for the same price as the 4.4 on the second hand market. I didn't find my X5 under powered, but certainly the 4.4 will be quicker. Note the fuel economy isn't any better with the 3.0.

I agree with Natty54 about staying away from the 7 series.

I replaced my X5 with 2004 S4. I fully expect the S4 to cost more for repairs, and it actually gets about the same gas mileage as the X5 did.

Comment

7 series are a bad bad choice... unless someone actually took care of it.

Get a X5 35i!

Comment

Originally posted by longsock View Post
        So guys, I don't know if I should start a new thread or not but I found 2 BMWs which I like and I'm trying to decide on.

2005 BMW X5 3.0I 120 xxx
        2002 BMW 745li 120 xxx

Anyone ever own such cars? What do you think? etc etc
        I had an 03 745 for about a year. Beautiful cars all around. Probably one of the best driving BMW's I've owned. I liked it better then the E46 M3 I had! I put very few kms on it and as I did research on the car I decided to get out of it before something big went. But it had 150 KMS if I recall. It was one of those cars that when you have high miles you kind of cringe when you start it because you don't know if something will go wrong. Too many horror stories on high mile ones on the web. But definitely one of my favorite cars for driving comfort/performance

I've driven an 07 X5 for a few months and I loved it. Amazing SUVs. I've never owned the older style like the 05 that you are looking at but my cousin had one and nothing but problems with it. Few electrical and oil burning at just over 100,000kms.

Personally I would take my chances on the Audi over both of those but I guess that's maybe because I've never owned an S4 and want to one day!

edit: sorry I had an 01 not 03. So the previous model 7 series. I would also stay away from the 02 since its the first model year.
        Last edited by whtrabt; 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Your buying hi end euro cars.Get prepared to open your wallet.
          Buy what you like,get it inspected and hold on for the ride.
          Take it to the dealer for inspection.(They know what to look for due to warranty claims)
          Then take it to a real tech.Castrol syn oil changes..sludge for sure..
          Without prejudice.

Comment

So thought I'd update you guys on what I bought.
            2009 C300 4matic RED only 81,xxx kms

Last edited by longsock; 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I don't like reading stuff like this lol :/ I just bought an 08 S4 with 71K and it doesn't seem to have the rattling or anything. The previous owner did exactly the same thing as you babied it too.. Lets hope mine isn't like that.

Comment

Working...
              X