Opinion needed on wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion needed on wrap

Soon I was looking to have my M3 wrapped, to protect the frozen silver paint, as it is basically impossible to repair/touchup. But I am wondering if it's worth wrapping the whole car (very expensive, seems hard to justify), or wrapping just the impact zones (front end, fenders)? I will put maybe 5-7000km on the car a year, wash it every time it goes out, and own a matte care kit from Dr Beasley's. I also don't tend to park it anywhere but at home (so no door dings/chips). The price difference from impact prone areas to full car is about 5 fold.

Any opinion from detailers/bodymen would be excellent!

Thanks,

Kyle
    Last edited by ToXicXxX; 05-29-2014, 11:59 PM.

Re: Opinion needed on wrap

I think part of the question is with a unique paint like the Frozen Silver, will it look different under the 3M and thus need to be an either all or nothing type situation.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

If you put clear 3m on that paint it will look glossy. Obviously you want the matte effect and the unique paint but 3m would look bad
      Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
        If you put clear 3m on that paint it will look glossy. Obviously you want the matte effect and the unique paint but 3m would look bad
        They make matte 3m for this exact reason.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

there was a AMg wagon that had the entire car wrapped in xpel here in edmonton by Auto Obsessed, looks like the original paint, can't tell its even on there.
          2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
          2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
          2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Use matte 3m, the jungle Jason has it on his raptor
            Current Fleet
            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
            2001 Cobra #88/3786
            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Contact Jeff (boostedmk4) here on the forum. He has all the 3M/ Xpel wrap you will need. He has done the full front end on my R32 and the E30.
              Last edited by VwSweetHeart; 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM.
              ~Tracy~
              MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
              Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

I was already set up with my shop of choice for Xpel stealth. But everyone has glossed over the question, full car or impact zones?

Comment

I personally would do the whole car. You have an expensive car with a special paint and then you will have this weird cutoff zone where it's not smooth. Besides, won't you be worried down the road of door dings? Trunk scratches? Roof damage from bird droppings?

Comment

Originally posted by ToXicXxX View Post
                    I was already set up with my shop of choice for Xpel stealth. But everyone has glossed over the question, full car or impact zones?
                    Well I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend?
                    No Matter how you drive or where you park you will get chips in the craziest spots.
                    If those small chips are going to bug you, then full car. If your ok with the odd chip here and there that no one will see and it wont bother you I would only do the impact zones.
                    ~Tracy~
                    MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
                    Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                      I personally would do the whole car. You have an expensive car with a special paint and then you will have this weird cutoff zone where it's not smooth. Besides, won't you be worried down the road of door dings? Trunk scratches? Roof damage from bird droppings?
                      The roof is solid carbon fibre with a gloss coat thankfully (cool, right?)

Matte paint care isn't as hard as some say... bird droppings in it aren't Permian damage unless left to bake in the sun. As a general rule, wash/clean it every week and no damage will come. Except for dents/dings. But dents will happen even if the car is wrapped.

Matte paint also fights scratches better, and does not show swirls or holograms.

Pictures of frozen cars with only the front in xpel, you can't tell there's a wrap. I'm sure like 3M, you'll notice a foot away at certain angles, but that's the same as glossy cars.

Ive noticed there's a lot of fear and shying away from matte paint because it's so uncommon. But whenever I wash it... it's easier to clean then gloss. Because dirt doesn't stick to it, it just falls off when water gets near.
                      Last edited by ToXicXxX; 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToXicXxX View Post
                        Kyle,

I would probably go for the entire car in Matte 3M for the reasons stated above. Question answered.

Now advice...Jeff (boostedmk4) has done quite a few of the club cars and we suggest him because A. He does great work B. Will give club members a great deal C. He's a club member himself and D. He uses xpel and 3M both and he can give you a more professional opinion

Hope that helps.
                        --
                        Rod
                        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Hey Kyle,

Jeff has been with the club for a long time and been working with the xpel/3M/other for a very long time as well. I would highly recommend him and his work, I know he has done a lot of work for some dealerships down in high river and for AutoDynamics collision center too.

Comment

You could also maybe try Joe Denny from Dasdubbers (dublu) i believe his username is

Comment

I have rock chips on my doors from semis and even one on my side window.

If I had the means to do so I would do the whole car.

Comment

Working...
                              X