may have blown a strut suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• may have blown a strut suggestions?

Hey guys, I took my b7 a4 along with our q7 + boat to La casa resort. Half way here the fender hit the wheel pretty hard and I noticed it actually bent the fender in, and it was sitting fairly low so we took everything out of my trunk and threw it into the q7. Both sides sit lower than they did two days ago (as I raised it up half an inch to an inch for the drive). Im running st coilovers with hyperco springs in the rear. 7" 750lb. The left side sits about the same as it did prior to raising it...Im assuming I blew a strut but am going to limp my way to Vernon. What options do I have once I'm there other than raising up my car up a little more? Can a shop repair them? Or am I basically screwed for now? Does anyone know of anyone in the kelowna / Vernon area?
    Last edited by makaheehee; 07-20-2014, 02:02 PM.

Re: may have blown a strut suggestions?

Major bummer dude.

First things first, send an email off to ST immediately if you haven't already done so. Best to get the ball rolling, with email time stamps to help your cause, opening the claim as soon as you can. Pics, descriptions, original invoice number, part numbers... the works.

Based on your situation and description, I'd say that you're looking at replacement. Repair would take a lot longer than replacement, unfortunately.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go somewhere with wicked customer service that's nation-wide (plug: Kal Tire) and have whatever installed. Get back to home and have them refunded on grounds of satisfaction. Hopefully your replacement ST coils (always replace fronts, and/or rears together) are ready when you return. Kinda shady but if ST won't go the extra mile and cover your costs, it's kind of like cheap insurance.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Thanks for the huge reply PRY4SNO.
      I finally had some time to check the car out as there was a crazy thunderstorm here and couldn't do any boating.
      At this point I Don't think the rear strut is blown. Although it's hard to tell as there was quite a bit of grease.
      But there doesn't seem to be any reason for my sag? They just felt like sagging on the way just because?
      What I believe IS blown/torn however is the rear cv boot as it could move inwards and outwards and had grease around it.
      Now the question is. Should I get this fixed ASAP here in kelowna prior to making the trip back to calgary or will it last? Again, this may not have blown on the way here but even prior. Not really sure.
      Thanks again.

Edit: pictures.

Last edited by makaheehee; 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Yeah get a clamp on that fairly quickly. You will start to lose grease fairly quickly and then your CV's will start to wear. It won't break overnight but eventually it won't be good. It almost looks like you can get a gear clamp on it, but i would recommend a proper crimp clamp when you get around to it

Comment

Thanks mechengg How would I know how much grease I've lost? There was a bit on the inside of the wheel itself as well?
          Should I take it to a shop here in kelowna? Or should I wait until I'm back in calgary and can get my mechanic to do it?
          Last edited by makaheehee; 07-24-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Is there a canadian tire where you can buy a simple gear clamp and screw it on yourself? Take your wheel off if you have the tools and it is right there

Comment

Well I was planning on driving over to kelowna so I can pick one up there. And the pictures are ones I took so I got the wheel off. .
              But the question is. How do I tell if I need a new boot, or just a clamp will suffice for the 600km drive back?
              Last edited by makaheehee; 07-24-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Only need a new boot if its torn... clamp it up and call it a day.

PS. From reading online, ST is not great with warranty( with slammed cars).. you would be especially screwed with different springs.

Comment

Alright thanks. I didn't notice a tear, but it just moved forwards and backwards. I'll buy a clamp and roll with it.
                  But oh? But even if the strut was blown, could they really prove that it was from a stiffer spring, or from riding low?
                  Last edited by makaheehee; 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by makaheehee View Post
                    Well I was planning on driving over to kelowna so I can pick one up there. And the pictures are ones I took so I got the wheel off. .
                    But the question is. How do I tell if I need a new boot, or just a clamp will suffice for the 600km drive back?
                    Your boot will be fine, it has no tears or rips from the looks of it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll just throw a pipe clamp on it and have my mechanic check it out when I'm back in calgary. Hope for the best. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X