Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put 205's on 18"x9'

What are the advantages or stretched tires [IMG][/IMG]
    337 GTI A.K.A das go kart ~K04~methanol~revo tune~turbo back exhaust~big brake kit~kinetic polished manifold......you get the point. Instagram is 337_gti

Re: Can I put 205's on 18"x9'

Stretched tires gives you that "stance" "fitment crew" look eg most euro scene cars, allows you fitting wider wheels without the issue of running full size tires and rubbing, gives you more low too.. Personally I'm not a fan of stretched tires at all since I prefer that Motorsport square sidewall look, but stretched tires is becoming much more popular... 205 on 9s shouldn't be a problem since my BMW had 195/50s stretched on 16x9s, you just need a decently soft tire to stretch with...
    Advantage: looks
    Disadvantage: performance
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I think the best description of why you would want to do this to someone who doesn't know would be, because you can push your rim to be level or further out than your fender, but use tires that narrow inwards. This is the same info as the above post but possibly in a more understandable way for someone that doesn't understand why they would want to do it.

Performance wise, the tire will give you less warning before it gives up on grip. However, the amount of grip you have is completely unaffected by this. Having a narrower tire will give you less grip than a wider tire. We're really comparing very narrow margins. Especially if your just driving in the road.

So what Kuji said is correct. Hopefully, I added a few extra useful details.
      Last edited by jacktown; 07-25-2014, 01:56 AM.
      Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Can I put 205's on 18"x9'

I'm running a 205/40 on a 9.5. Plenty of stretch if your wanting an agressive set up. I still have lots of grip for daily driving, And I love to have fun in the corners in the r32.

But caution... Running stretch looks horrible if you are not low.
        Last edited by Danaldson; 07-25-2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

This^ I hate the look of stretched tires when the car itself isn't low. But yeah I'm running 215s on a 9.5" and it's not even stretched thaaaat much. 205s will be perfect.
          Stretched tires are originally a drifting thing aren't they? Less surface area, easier drifting?
          Also, do not buy expensive tires if you're going to stretch them. A stiffer, performance sidewall will risk debeading because it wants to keep it's straight sidewall. A cheaper, softer tire will suit your needs much better.
          Last edited by hooddub; 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM.
          Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

advantages:
            you can fit a wide wheel without doing much fender work

Disadvantages:
            not as much traction,
            looks awful unless your car is moderately low,
            ride comfort is poor,
            easy to curbrash your wheels,
            if its an aggresive stretch you have to check your tire pressure a little more often.

Also, an easy tire to stretch I've found are the Neogens
            Martin
            I.G. @mferrariomk5
            Slow MK5 GTI
            Basic B8 S4

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
              Tdo not buy expensive tires if you're going to stretch them. A stiffer, performance sidewall will risk debeading because it wants to keep it's straight sidewall. A cheaper, softer tire will suit your needs much better.
              i completely disagree with this.... the stiffer the sidewall the better stretch you will get, just don't go excessive and you wont have a problem....a soft tire will almost bubble it wont stretch like it should.

that being said i just went from a 215 to a 225 on a 9 because i found the 215 less then desirable when i was driving or breaking in any short of aggressive manner... the S4 is a nose heavy car though

Current
              02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
              04 GLI low and slow OG
              Past
              02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
              00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

205 on a 9" wheel will not look good unless you are very very low. I have 215's on a 8.5" wide wheel and it even looks stupid if i air up too high
                Also i would go 215 if you can for a bit more grip on the road, you aren't very low at all so honestly i would do something even wider if you can fit it in your fenders. Depends on the offset of the wheels greatly.
                Stiffer sidewalls are actually better for stretching like Jon said above. It keeps the stretched part of the wheel straight instead of wanting to bubble out and rounding the corners between the tread and the bead.

Comment

I have to agree stretch is kind of pointless unless you are really low. I would personally run the 215 or 225 with rolled fenders and if you are static run some great plates to center the wheel and give more room for the tire.
                  Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

I just got coils on my car this past week so the stretched tire look with a high car won't be. An issue here. I'm debating 205's or 215's
                    Will post pics once everything is done.
                    Thanks for the tips everyone. And yes I'm doing it for the looks. Not performance by any means
                    337 GTI A.K.A das go kart ~K04~methanol~revo tune~turbo back exhaust~big brake kit~kinetic polished manifold......you get the point. Instagram is 337_gti

Comment

205 on a 9

215 on a 9

Current
                      02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
                      04 GLI low and slow OG
                      Past
                      02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
                      00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

Just avoid Quebec...lol
                        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Depends how low you plan on driving, and your offsets

Comment

I ride with 195's on a 9'' right now. It feels fine, corners fine, drives fine, and doesn't lose any air. 205 would be just fine.
                            Mitch

1996 Harlequin
                            2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

205's on a 18x9 will be fine but that size tire doesn't come cheap. Go up to a 215 and there will be more tire options.

Generally I find that people who say a stretch setup can't perform are those who have never driven on a stretch setup before. Speaking from experience, I run 215/35 on a 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 setup and drive hard in the twisties. Performance is fine, reliability is fine and I'm talking about 100km daily commutes over a span of 6 years.

My trusted choice of tire are Falkens. Never had a problem with them. The Nitto Neo Gens are great too, especially if you plan to run more negative camber.

Comment

Working...
                              X