Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imobilizer? 2001 Mk5 Golf TDI

Hey,

So my car has been brutal. I've posted some of the journey on here.

It ran fine this spring, but then I was in Canmore on a cold morning I went to start it and it fought me but eventually fired up just to fall on its face. Tried to start it, tried to start it, nothing. Dollied it home to Calgary, waited for a warm day, I plugged it in and it still refused to start.

In the past Meyers had said I needed a new injector pump, and I just didn't want to believe as it just didn't make sense to me. But I was out of ideas, so I had it towed to a local shop on 14th street close to my house for simplicity sake. Fully expecting them to call me today and tell me that I needed a new pump.

Instead I got a call saying that I had triggered the Immobilizer and I needed to get it towed to the dealer for them to re code my keys and such. But then they said that because I kept trying to start it, that I may have cooked the ECU and that I would need a new one.

A) Does this make any sense? If I put the key in it, why does it think that I'm trying to steal it?
    B) Trying to start it causes it to cook itself?
    C) Only a dealer can reset it?

At this point I am pretty close to cutting my losses and try and sell the thing for parts.

Any interest/idea what I could get for it? Fresh TB/WP 10-15k ago.

Think I am going to look at something Swedish.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
    Last edited by bonfire; 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM.

Re: Imobilizer? 2001 Mk5 Golf TDI

Did you leave your key outside at all? Did you accidentally slip and fall on your fob? The transponder chip inside the keyfob is made out of glass and actually fairly fragile and it will prevent the car from being started if you break it. Cooking the ECU on the other hand doesn't sound feasible from that condition

Comment

I doubt you could cook the ECU by starting the car. Just a note though, the 2001 is a MK4.

Sounds more like a fueling issue, have you ever cleaned the EGR cooler? When that thing gets plugged up the amount of air going to your engine can get so small you get issues like this.

Comment

Does the immobilizer icon pop up?

Immobilizer from what I understand is part of the central convenience, not the ecu. The ecu goes there to make sure everything is good and keep the car running and will shut things off if the CC says to.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=404048

Since you have a 2001 which I think you can swap ecu's with just a simple vagcom relearning command, I know I can on my 2000 and have done this before. I have the later 2000, not the early one that shares the ecu with the 99.5's that had no immobilizer built in.

I would do this with vagcom first to see if maybe something went crazy between the ecu and the CC module.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...I_ECU_Swapping

If you need to check the ecu I have 1-2 from our era I think hanging around. You would just need to swap them and do the procedure above once the new ecu was in place to see if that is your problem.

Going to the dealer should be last resort and I would be tempted to sell the car if it got to that. Problem is dealer will just throw parts at this at their cost until the problem is fixed, could easily get expensive fast.
        Ben
        2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
        2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
        2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
        Her's
        2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

If it is your immobilizer that is giving you issues you should see a blinking key on the dash when trying to start the car. If you don't have that, then that is not the issue. Have you tried a pull start? Have someone setup a chain between your car and their vehicle and drop the clutch and see if it turns over. Just an idea.

d.J.
          2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
          Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

We can do Immobilizer at Calgary Autoworks.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Should have just brought it to caw to begin with.

Read about the key thing, they tried both keys I have.

I've had the blinking light before, but not all the time. I'll call up ross tech today get my vcds swapped onto my newer laptop. Pull start has crossed my mind.

The ecu seems odd, but could make some sense or the cc.

For instance, I can only use reverse sometimes. Other times if I pop it into reverse it cuts out. Lights, fuel, dash, whole thing just shuts down. But if I move it from reverse to neutral quick enough it fires back up before it fully runs out of revs.

This whole thing started after my serp belt broke on the hwy to Cranbrook 2 years ago, so I drove the thing maybe 50km without an alternator, just running off the battery. Could that of caused something? Because the next day when the parts came in and I got it all sorted is when it started to not play nice and it's been a bit of a fighter since.

Comment

Have you by chance checked the coolant level sensor for coolant in the plug?
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                  Have you by chance checked the coolant level sensor for coolant in the plug?
                  Still surprises me that the coolant creep issue happens the way it does!
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                  X