2015/16 Mercedes-AMG GT Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015/16 Mercedes-AMG GT Revealed

Well I think it is pretty nice, obviously a blend of classic sports car and modern at the same time. I think the removal of things like the gull wing doors is probably a big factor in getting the price point down as this is pointed directly at the 911.

Some more details and I am sorry if the Hot V statement was inaccurate, I just grabbed a quick write up for some content.

Mercedes has officially unveiled the highly-anticipated and highly-hyped AMG GT.

Billed as an everyday sports car, the AMG GT follows in the footsteps of the SLS AMG and adopts a slightly controversial front fascia with a prominent grille, large air intakes and oversized LED headlights. Moving further back, there's a rakish windscreen, frameless doors and ventilated front fenders. The model also has a distinctively sloped roofline which is unfortunately marred by a thick black outline on the rear quarter windows. At the rear, there's a power deployable spoiler and slender taillights with sequential turn signals that use 18 individual LEDs on each side. The AMG GT rides on 19-inch alloy wheels, while the AMG GT S features 19- / 20-inch alloy wheels.

The cabin has already been revealed months ago but it's still worth revisiting as it has sporty and luxurious design. Once ensconced behind the flat-bottom steering wheel, drivers will find themselves surrounded by a wide center console that ramps up to four circular air vents and a freestanding infotainment system with either a 7- or 8.4-inch display. The car also features leather/fabric sport seats and silver chrome, matte carbon fiber, high-gloss carbon fiber, black diamond or matte silver fiberglass trim. Last but not least, there's a roof-mounted control panel which houses buttons for the seat heaters, hazards lights and rear wing - among other things.

The entry-level AMG GT features a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 engine that produces 462 PS (339 kW) and 600 Nm (442 lb-ft) of torque. It is connected to a seven-speed dual clutch transmission which enables the car to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.0 seconds before hitting an electronically-limited top speed of 304 km/h (189 mph).

Moving up to the AMG GT S rewards buyers with a more powerful twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 engine that develops 510 PS (375 kW) and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque. Thanks to the extra oomph, the model can rocket from 0-100 km/h in 3.8 seconds before topping out at an electronically-limited 310 km/h (193 mph).

To keep the car as light as possible engineers used an intelligent mix of materials including aluminum, steel and magnesium. This enables the AMG GT to weigh as little as 1540 kg (3395 lbs).

Speaking of performance, the entry-level AMG GT has a mechanical rear-axle locking rear differential while the AMG GT S has an electronic locking rear differential. The latter variant also has an AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension with electronically controlled dampers with three different modes - Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus.

Both cars feature a specially tuned damper which reduces "undesirable rolling motion of the entire drivetrain including the transaxle transmission, thus substantially improving comfort and agility." AMG GT S customers can also order an optional AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package which adds dynamic engine and transmission mounts.

Last but not least, the AMG GT has internally ventilated and perforated brake discs that measure 360mm all around while the AMG GT S adopts larger 390mm front discs and red brake calipers. If that fails to impress, customers can order carbon ceramic brake discs which measure 402mm front / 360mm rear.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

german viper
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
          MB has a few models that have the ecu just sitting in the engine bay. But its better than a maserati I was working on.....ecu mounted on bottom of the diff. lol

Would have been neat if they stuck with the gullwing doors
          Now that's just goofy! I hate BMW's rain trays for the DME, they are so fragile.

I want that alcantera steering wheel in my C63...
          Last edited by ToXicXxX; 09-12-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Our spies have sent us images of a camouflaged Mercedes-Benz AMG GT Edition 1.

Mercedes-Benz recently developed a habit of launching right away "Edition 1" versions of their new products that are available only during the car's first year in production.

However, they have taken a different path with the AMG GT as the Edition 1 was not unveiled on September 9 when the car came out online.

Now, we bring spy shots of the AMG GT Edition 1 which as you can see brings a number of changes, with the most obvious one being the fixed rear wing. In addition, both front and rear bumpers are camouflaged on this prototype which can only indicate they look different while the side skirts have been modified as well. The vehicle is wearing a matte grey paint and on the inside there's an "Edition 1" badge on the steering wheel together with yellow accents (as opposed to red) on the speedometer and tachometer.

Mercedes-Benz and AMG will probably bring the GT Edition 1 at next week's Paris Motor Show.

Last edited by Canadian Turbo; 09-25-2014, 02:03 AM.
            Blair

Comment

AMG Carbon ceramic brakes... Mmmmmm.

Theres a matte white E63 AMG S estate at the dealership here with them... It's so mean.

I think the AMG GT is on the list of "cars I will buy if I win the lottery" now. Those rims are definitely finding their way onto my C63 next summer...
              Last edited by ToXicXxX; 09-26-2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

The newer interior shots show some nicer seats.

But Audi's RS7 seats -- in fact, the entire interior -- has this car beat by a country mile. With a years old design to boot.
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                  The newer interior shots show some nicer seats.

But Audi's RS7 seats -- in fact, the entire interior -- has this car beat by a country mile. With a years old design to boot.
                  Audi tends to be ahead of the curve on almost every vehicle they make IMO
                  Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                    Audi tends to be ahead of the curve on almost every vehicle they make IMO
                    Not quite with handling. BMW remains ahead in the Big (German) 3 that way.

Or with creature comforts/gadgets. That's where MB has their foothold, and prestige/public image.

Audi also lags in public perception (IE status), which IMO is a strength... Audi is a bit of a sleeper sport luxury marque still.

Don't get me wrong. I fly an OOOO flag. But... they're not the clear cut leader in every aspect, being objective about the marketplace.
                    Last edited by PRY4SNO; 09-27-2014, 09:32 AM. Reason: grammar/formatting
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

How about a matching boat?

Blair

Comment

The Mercedes-AMG GT is above to receive the high-performance treatment and spy photographers have snapped new pictures of the model undergoing cold weather testing.

Rumored to adopt the Mercedes-AMG GT-R moniker, the high-performance model is being billed as a road-going version of the Mercedes-AMG GT3 race car. As part of this philosophy, the car has been equipped with a new front fascia that features carbon fiber canards and an enlarged grille with vertical slates that echo the GT3.

The sporty styling continues aft of the A-pillar as designers added aggressive side skirts and lightweight wheels that are backed up by a high-performance braking system. Of course, there are bigger changes out back as the model has a prominent rear wing, a center-mounted exhaust, and a massive diffuser.

Mercedes has only provided a few hints about the car but AMG CEO Tobias Moers has suggested it will use a biturbo 4.0-liter V8 engine that develops approximately 550 horsepower. The model is also expected to be about 175 pounds lighter than the AMG GT S so it should be noticeably faster than its counterpart.

The Mercedes-AMG GT-R is expected to be introduced later this year, possibly as soon as the Geneva Motor Show.

Blair

Comment

Working...
                        X