The autobahn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The autobahn

I am leaving Germany in a few hours and i wanted to share my view on the german highway.

It's still mitigated and let me explain.

The good side is the unlimited speed as shown below in my rental Nissan Note ( )
    I was going as fast as the car could and i wasn't even catching up with the traffic in my lane...
    On the other side you have the constant work zones, the bad road quality and the traffic

So like i said it's cool but spoiled at the same time...
    What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413795048.964547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	514139

Re: The autobahn

Had the same experience. Far more speed restricted areas than unlimited areas

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I can't believe a Note goes 200!
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Interesting. I was watching an episode of Top Gear last night and they said the exact same thing. They had a hard time reaching 150mph.

Comment

I find the rental cars are speed limited, most likely based on the tires they have on them, in Germany. Hopefully you are only in that lane while passing....

Comment

Well I have made a few trips with Bart on the Autobahn and I agree and disagree; firstly in the restricted sections the speed limit is often 130 km/h so still not bad and we have had plenty of times to flirt with 300, so must be a time and place thing. There is indeed construction as there is with any highway, but I do like that in some sections where it is 3 lanes on each side they completely close one side and squeeze in 4 on the other to make it the most efficient way in the complete resurfacing of a single side, but we have even been stuck behind a semi being towed in such a scenario and that was a crawl, but the open road after was worth it

One of my favorite things though is that most people know how to drive and stay the hell out of the fast lane unless they are passing, and when they see you coming at speed they generally get out of the way fast as can be, plus passing an ambulance with the lights/siren on is an experience
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

As a fyi i come from that area of france germany border and i only stay in the far labe when passing (like that van prob going 40kmh less than me).
              Yes a note goes 200 when you have a big downhill

Comment

Originally posted by jucam View Post
                As a fyi i come from that area of france germany border and i only stay in the far labe when passing (like that van prob going 40kmh less than me).
                Yes a note goes 200 when you have a big downhill
                haha.. I just remember our rental Note on the Swiss freeways, which are only 120km/h, and it was already sounding stressed out!
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                X