http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-a...nobody-inside/

Re: Self Driving RS7

Nope, but man is it awesome!!
    2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
    2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
    2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Sure the idea of it is awesome, but in reality this is absolutely terrible. Technology is gettin to the point were soon humans wont be needed for anything, including driving cars. As a car enthusiast, I fear this day is getting way too close. Technology is already causing the slow extinction of the manual transmission, soon it will cause the extinction of the actual experience of driving
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

damn cool.

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
          Sure the idea of it is awesome, but in reality this is absolutely terrible. Technology is gettin to the point were soon humans wont be needed for anything, including driving cars. As a car enthusiast, I fear this day is getting way too close. Technology is already causing the slow extinction of the manual transmission, soon it will cause the extinction of the actual experience of driving
          Yeah I will agree with this for sure.

I mean its cool. But I doubt I will ever give up driving. If I wanna go some where and be shuttled I will hop on a plane.
          2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Interesting.
            Not sure how well it would do to reactional situations though, for instance if two cars meet in a parking lot head on, how does the car know which vehicle is going to back up to let the other one pass? Typically you wave the other person through, car's don't typically wave very well in my past experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
              Interesting.
              Not sure how well it would do to reactional situations though, for instance if two cars meet in a parking lot head on, how does the car know which vehicle is going to back up to let the other one pass? Typically you wave the other person through, car's don't typically wave very well in my past experience with them.
              Yeah cars are total as*holes on the road. lol
              Last edited by Ponto; 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM.
              2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Well this has some real world implications as Pat feared:

Audi has announced the next generation A8 will be available as a fully autonomous vehicle.

Back in January we heard a rumor about the next Audi A8 getting an autonomous driving system and that rumor has now been confirmed by Audi's Head of Product and Technology Communications. Talking to Motoring, Stefan Moser said Audi has plans to introduce the world's first self-driving car with a system that will "always be better than human beings" since it won't be "phoning, not looking at pretty girls, no distractions."

This news of a fully autonomous vehicle from Audi comes only a few days after the company demonstrated the RS7 piloted driving concept at Hockenheim where the vehicle reached "racing speed" and lapped the circuit in a little over two minutes. The system which will be used in the new A8 will rely on more advanced cameras working together with lasers and additional sensors since according to Moser an autonomous car "must work everywhere" not just on an enclosed track where there's no traffic.

The next generation Audi A8 will be revealed towards the end of 2016 and is programmed to go on sale in 2017 with a design which will be derived from the upcoming concept set to be introduced next month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I'd buy one if I had the cash
                  I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                    Well this has some real world implications as Pat feared:

Audi has announced the next generation A8 will be available as a fully autonomous vehicle.

Back in January we heard a rumor about the next Audi A8 getting an autonomous driving system and that rumor has now been confirmed by Audi's Head of Product and Technology Communications. Talking to Motoring, Stefan Moser said Audi has plans to introduce the world's first self-driving car with a system that will "always be better than human beings" since it won't be "phoning, not looking at pretty girls, no distractions."

This news of a fully autonomous vehicle from Audi comes only a few days after the company demonstrated the RS7 piloted driving concept at Hockenheim where the vehicle reached "racing speed" and lapped the circuit in a little over two minutes. The system which will be used in the new A8 will rely on more advanced cameras working together with lasers and additional sensors since according to Moser an autonomous car "must work everywhere" not just on an enclosed track where there's no traffic.

The next generation Audi A8 will be revealed towards the end of 2016 and is programmed to go on sale in 2017 with a design which will be derived from the upcoming concept set to be introduced next month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
                    Patryk
                    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                    08 VW .:R32
                    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Already!?

Makes me wonder how car insurance companies will react to this.

Comment

I'd love to see one of these suckers get out of a snow bank

Comment

Remember, these cars have the ability to be autonomous, much like other driving aids I am certain you will be able to switch them off when you wish.

Wouldn't it be great for summer vacation, hit the road with the family in the middle of the night, have a little nap, wake up at your destination
                          I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

^In all honesty I don't think I could be able to sleep. Too stressed out that there could be a potential failure in the system and the car wouldn't be able to follow the program anymore...
                            Currently own: 2012 Golf 2.5 Sportsline Small modifs: ST Coils, VMR V710 18x8.5

Comment

I think this would be perfect at the last leg of a long road trip or driving through Saskatchewan.

Comment

Working...
                              X