HELP: GL550 AFS Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: GL550 AFS Issue

Hey guys i have found a problem with my GL550. The right side bixenon active steering headlight was replaced about 8 months ago . I recently took over the car from my mom and rarely drove it before so I never find anything wrong with it, however now I found out that the right side light does not move at all during any types of corning while the left side does, and only the left side auto-calibrates (up,down,left,right calibration) during start-ups. I thought the body shop installed a cheap headlight but i took the covers apart and found out it was an oem unit with active steering motors in them. This leads me to think that the headlight need a software reset maybe? Or improper wiring? Burnt fuse? Please help me out, this problem really bothers me and I have to drive from vancouver back to calgary in christmas i would like to have every bit of lighting the car can give me.

PS: the car does not give any error messages either. It is supposed to show if it is malfunctioning.
    Last edited by kujiwara; 10-31-2014, 04:04 AM.
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Re: HELP: GL550 AFS Issue

Don't people with GL550s just take them to the dealership?

Comment

Start with pulling any fuses and checking them. Are you able to swap the headlights left to right to check which one decides to auto level? Im going to guess that the wiring harness is probably too short

Pat

His
      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Had a MK1 Tiguan Highline with the same problem. In the 4 years we owned it the headlight assembly was replaced numerous times by the dealer. Not to mention the bulbs burning out at least twice a year. Not really something I would troublshoot myself. Just take it to the dealer. It should be under warranty.
        2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

I would assume two servo motors, one for horizontal and one for vertical movement. From what i take, both of them are not working for a single headlight, if so the odds of both of them going are pretty slim i would think, especially if the other headlight had both of those motors still working.
          My first guess would be that when replacing these headlights, the shop may have turned on the ignition to accessory at some point with the wiring unplugged to that headlight. Error messages may have popped up then and the program may have set itself to adjust only the headlight that was attached. Then when the other headlight was installed, the code would have gone away due to the necessary resistances, however the program is still programmed to only adjust the left headlight. Just a guess, but a possible scenario as to what could have happened and why.

I would try to get the dealer to reset the programming because it makes sense in my mind/scenario that the right side is turned off and the head light is fine.

Worst case, they reset it and it still doesn't work, then they can diagnose what is actually wrong.

Comment

Isn't it still on warranty?
            Take it in!
            ~~TODD~~
            '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Originally posted by JVD View Post
              Don't people with GL550s just take them to the dealership?
              This

Comment

The headlight needs to be taught in with the scan tool for the active headlamps to opperat proplerly on all the ones I have replaced will need to go to the dealer to be programmed most likely. Unless it was a Benz body shop that replaced it they likely don't have the equipment to properly code the headlight

Comment

Could try a hard reset:

Remove negative and positive leads from battery - hold together for approx 30 seconds - just make sure your model doesn't use the dual battery. Other wise need to disconnect both batteries.

Other than that the dealer will kill you lol. I would say go private. There are lots in Vancouver!
                  Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
                    Could try a hard reset:

Remove negative and positive leads from battery - hold together for approx 30 seconds - just make sure your model doesn't use the dual battery. Other wise need to disconnect both batteries.

Other than that the dealer will kill you lol. I would say go private. There are lots in Vancouver!
                    Yeah i think ill take a to a benz shop next weekend, i think it just needs to reprogrammed then since it was replaced at crowfoot image(great paintwork but not certified by benz). The car is way out of warranty as its an 08 model, i don't want to take it into a dealer because they rip me off every time i go there...
                    Current Fleet
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
                      Could try a hard reset:

Hold them together? You mean holding the two cables together right?
                      Current Fleet
                      2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I don't know if anyone but the dealer will be able to program it our programing is all online with Germany. Most of the euro shops in town send cars to us for any programing

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                          Hold them together? You mean holding the two cables together right?
                          correct. Just make sure there is no current. Can check with a bulb

Originally posted by gotadub View Post
                          I don't know if anyone but the dealer will be able to program it our programing is all online with Germany. Most of the euro shops in town send cars to us for any programing
                          hmmm never heard of that before. Only with the SAM unit. But there are a few scanners other than OEM that would work and some shops use OEM as well
                          Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

The head light most likely needs to be scn coded witch is done with the vin threw an online connection with Germany. You can try and aftermarket shop but I see cars from the many euro body shops in town all the time to have the headlights coded. Even distinctive who is the Mercedes body shop in town send us cars for coding.

Comment

Originally posted by gotadub View Post
                              The head light most likely needs to be scn coded witch is done with the vin threw an online connection with Germany. You can try and aftermarket shop but I see cars from the many euro body shops in town all the time to have the headlights coded. Even distinctive who is the Mercedes body shop in town send us cars for coding.
                              So would you suggest me to just take it in a dealer and tell them the headlights needs coding?
                              Current Fleet
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X