No announcement yet.

Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Good info, thanks. Def post up about your findings.

The reason I've been leaning toward spacing the front is so I can move the engine/trans back in the bay a little... that's a down the road thing but it would save messing with the driveshaft again. If the spacer idea is too fussy I'll just lengthen it, like you mentioned, or find an R32 driveshaft.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

I'd be most concerned about getting perfect alignment installing the spacers, vs. a zero-balanced rear propshaft section built by a competent machinist.

Shouldn't be too hard to notch your mounts and nudge the motor/trans back 1/2"-3/4"?? Or is it different with transversal layout?
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

My brother had to get his syncro driveshaft shortened and he couldn't find a driveline shop that would touch it. The last place he went to that said they would do it went out of business the next month.
        2002 Jetta TDI
        2003 Jazz Blue GTI
        1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
          I'd be most concerned about getting perfect alignment installing the spacers, vs. a zero-balanced rear propshaft section built by a competent machinist.

Shouldn't be too hard to notch your mounts and nudge the motor/trans back 1/2"-3/4"?? Or is it different with transversal layout?
          I think he'll need to worry about front axle problems if he moved the engine back
          Current Fleet
          #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
          2001 Cobra #88/3786
          1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
          2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
          2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I had a Passat Syncro prop shaft shortened, cost about $100-150.
            Most shops didn't want to touch it. It was the sort of thing: "European? No U-joints? We can't help you, sorry."

Lengthening is easy, you really just need to put standoffs (or a spacer disk) on the rear guibo and use longer bolts.

Or you might get lucky and find a thicker guibo from a BMW or (of all things) a Dodge Charger.

-Dave

Comment

I had a spacer machined for my first 6spd swap on my a6. Standens did it for me, they also custom make and balance shafts, go there and ask for Brad Shier, you can contact me for my personal info if you are serious about talking to them.
              I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Current Fleet
                #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                2001 Cobra #88/3786
                1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post

If the bolt pattern is drilled right it shouldn't be an issue - same idea as a wheel spacer... so this is def a job for a machinist -vs- hacksaw, grinder & determination. The driveshaft is already balanced but would be worth getting checked for sure.

I haven't measured anything yet but 1/2-3/4 should be fine. Aftermarket mounts seem better suited to this venture though - either order them custom or just modify a set.

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
                  My brother had to get his syncro driveshaft shortened and he couldn't find a driveline shop that would touch it. The last place he went to that said they would do it went out of business the next month.
                  Sucks for your bro - just needed to be a little faster on the draw I suppose.

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                  I think he'll need to worry about front axle problems if he moved the engine back
                  Yes & no - just depends on how far you move the engine back. Too far and you would need to notch the frame rails which isn't too big of a deal. I'd be more concerned about leaving enough room for a turboz n stuff...
                  Work - houzz / linkedin
                  Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by MrDave View Post
                    I had a Passat Syncro prop shaft shortened, cost about $100-150.
                    Most shops didn't want to touch it. It was the sort of thing: "European? No U-joints? We can't help you, sorry."

Lengthening is easy, you really just need to put standoffs (or a spacer disk) on the rear guibo and use longer bolts.

Or you might get lucky and find a thicker guibo from a BMW or (of all things) a Dodge Charger...
                    Interesting... those standoffs are pretty much what I had in mind. Once I know the bolt spacing of the TT driveshaft I could compare with what's available - thanks!

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
                    I had a spacer machined for my first 6spd swap on my a6. Standens did it for me, they also custom make and balance shafts, go there and ask for Brad Shier, you can contact me for my personal info if you are serious about talking to them.
                    Excellent - this sounds like just the kind of place I'm looking for... pm'd.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Haha... KUJI, I'd be all over that if I had a Ford Falcon... or Pinto... or Gremlin... or something
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

I wouldnt move the motor back if you plan on going big turbo. On my stock location motor, there were only mm's to spare as is.
                        Dylan

Comment

That's true, it's pretty snug back there as is. A K04 should still fit though and if I go bigger it can be mounted elsewhere... the engine location is just a consideration in what I wanted to do with the driveshaft anyway - shifting it may or may not happen.

Since there are more TT parts around I think I'll just use it's driveshaft and then if I need a new one down the road it will be cheaper/easier to source.
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5-FS-PropShaft

just stumbled across this. Thought it might interest you
                            Last edited by funkin; 02-10-2015, 11:54 PM.
                            TJ
                            '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                            '01 Silver S4

Comment

Cool - good to see there are some kicking around. I still plan to price spacers first and if it's too expensive or fussy I'll hit that guy up. Thanks!
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

Its plus 6 and windy out here, looks like you'll have a few decent days to do what you can.
                                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Working...
                                X