Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

DAY NINE

Was a little lazy today but did sweep my car off and shovel the work area so I could get a little done at least...

Here you can see where the frame rails join just before the tub for the foot well area - I've already drilled and separated the seat area from the tub which makes it easier to see how the joints come together. BTW, the upper /vertical portion of seam above that doesn't need to be scraped - so unless you enjoy heating and scraping seams, don't bother...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-03-2017, 08:14 PM.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by Ponto View Post
      Fantastic work man, its amazing. Really enjoying the progress.

Good to hear - I've been trying to catch the main points and post up since the other swaps I've seen on-line are pretty thin on detail... taking pictures is usually the last thing on your mind when you're in the middle of a project but since I'm doing this slow and steady I've got more time to document the process.
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Really liking this project by why the *%^ did you decide to tackle this outside, in Calgary at the beginning of November?
        Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
        -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
        -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
          Really liking this project by why the *%^ did you decide to tackle this outside, in Calgary at the beginning of November?

Haha, no kidding hey. I actually decided last week of October. Things just kind of came together at that time and I thought it's gotta be right now or spring... and spring just seemed like such a long time away so here we are
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
            This, you are a special kind of crazy. This weather even turns me off from going out and getting the mail! Best of luck, hope the weather gets better.
            Last edited by GingerBeef; 11-13-2014, 09:49 AM.
            Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
            ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
            PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by TheJungle View Post
              This, you are a special kind of crazy. This weather even turns me off from going out and getting the mail! Best of luck, hope the weather gets better.
              LOL, I don't know how to say this without letting you down but I haven't been wrenching since it's gotten cold out - took the week off. Back at it tomorrow though!
              Work - houzz / linkedin
              Play - haldex swap

Comment

No sensible person here is going to give you grief for it! Haha
                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

DAYS TEN - FOURTEEN

Too cold outside - hibernation time...

DAY FIFTEEN

Finally have an update - drilled out the spot-welds at the back of the frame rails where they're joined to an extension just before the bumper. Same spot as the previous pic with the tape measure. Also got busy on the back seat area - this spot has quite a few layers of metal that overlap so I just cut, drilled and chiseled out one section at a time being mindful of the areas of the frame rail and floor-pan that are staying as well as the seat brackets that I'll need to transfer over to the TT pan.

The sides near the doors are tricky to remove nicely because of the lip that holds the weatherstripping so I've just cut the top portion of the seat area away and peeled the metal back as spot-welds were removed...

The floor-pan is officially out and just the frame rails are left. I did drill out the spot-welds in the rails today too (you can see some of them below the passenger door) so hopefully those will be out tomorrow...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-03-2017, 08:32 PM.
                  Work - houzz / linkedin
                  Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                    No sensible person here is going to give you grief for it! Haha
                    True... and now that the weather is cooperating, we're back in business
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY SIXTEEN

Drilled out the remaining spot-welds where the front and back frame rails join and dropped both sides - 5/16" bit worked much better than 1/4"...

Had planned to keep this piece of frame rail in tact but the new pan won't slide up into place, like this, so I removed both sides...

Positioned the TT pan and found out part way through fitting it that the back portions of the pan (by the bumper/wheel well) will need to be trimmed. No biggie but I ran out of daylight so this is approximately how she sits...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-03-2017, 09:06 PM.
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Glad to see a break in the weather for you.
                        Matt
                        IG: @chalmsmkvi

Comment

Making fast progress! Glad the weather smartened up!
                          2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                          2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                          2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

This is quite the undertaking, especially during this time of the year! Props to the bravery and amazing work. Looking forward to more progress.
                            -Faraaz

Comment

DAY SEVENTEEN

This is where things slow down... the pan is a snug fit for sure and trimming without overdoing it takes time. A few pics up you can see the inner lower portion of fender by the back piece of frame rail - that needs to be trimmed to get the TT pan in place. I've got some of it removed and cleaned up but will have to shave into the upper portion of back corner to match the profile of the new pan... seems like about 5cm needs to come out - each side is a different length though.

I had taken rough measurements the other day and thought the GLI pan was 159cm compared to 139cm for the TT - this is the case so the difference between the two is 20cm. This is why I kept the GLI frame rails in tact when I took them out - should come in handy to bridge the gap...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-03-2017, 09:18 PM.
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by chalms04 View Post
                                Glad to see a break in the weather for you.
                                Me too - it was painful to watch my frozen project just sit there last week.

Originally posted by Ponto View Post
                                Making fast progress! Glad the weather smartened up!
                                It's coming... easy parts done... home stretch now

Originally posted by Fizzo20 View Post
                                This is quite the undertaking, especially during this time of the year! Props to the bravery and amazing work. Looking forward to more progress.
                                Thanks, I've just been trying to accomplish something every day while the weather is reasonable... hopefully I be done before winter gets serious. Cool Jetta project on your end too - my first VW was a small bumper MK2 Jetta Carat. Loved it but always wanted a big bumper version.
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X