Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Looks like great progress... And yeah, there's going to be a fair bit of snow this week!
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
      Looks like great progress... And yeah, there's going to be a fair bit of snow this week!
      Thanks - things have come together really well so far. I'm expecting the fender fitting and floor pan extension to be a little fussy but we'll see.

I plan to buy a heater, this week, so I can close in the back end of the car when it's ready for seam sealer - might have to use it sooner!
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Time for one of these: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cl...-0370025p.html

Pat

His
        1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
        1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
        1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
        2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
        Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

DAY TWENTY FOUR

The old frame rails are coming in handy now - they're not as deep as they need to be but it looks like there is enough length from the GLI that I can cut four pieces and stack them to make two that will be the right size...

I had thought the back bumper area needed to be pushed in a little and I would need 200mm of filler rail - more like 210-215. Oops. Thankfully the tabs on the TT rails can be bent over to span the gap (notice the one on the bottom) and I was able to tack everything together. I'll cut the tops longer and then finish bending the tabs from the TT rails to fully connect the lower portion...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:05 PM.
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
            That is on the list of "might buy"... don't want to bother if I can wrap this up soon but things sure have a way of taking twice as long as they should.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY TWENTY FIVE

Tonight I measured and remeasured and cut the top halves of the frame rail extensions - with a little trimming they look like they'll fit in nicely. The usable GLI frame-rail widens as it gets to the suspension mounting points so a bit of resizing was in order. The top left and right of the picture shows the two areas that need to be narrowed to 75mm and welded up...

Fitting these extensions with the bottoms already tacked in is a bit of a chore - it would have been 10x easier/quicker to instal from the bottom up but the bottom halves are IN so I marked out a strip of the pan for removal which will allow easier access for installing the rails. It will be nice to have a portion of pan with the TT profile welded to the bumper area and then when I splice some of the GLI pan in it should all line up nice. Here's the section that's coming out...

Four spot-welds needed to come out on each side which was minor. The biggest thing was not cutting into the frame rails during removal of this strip of pan - mission accomplished. I had been thinking of cutting this piece out before installing the floor pan - would have been a good idea...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM.
              Work - houzz / linkedin
              Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS TWENTY SIX - THIRTY FOUR

It's been way to cold, up until now, and work has been really busy so a lot of this has been happening...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM.
                Work - houzz / linkedin
                Play - haldex swap

Comment

:(
                  Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

DAY THIRTY FIVE

Shovelled my car out today and made some progress on the top half of the back frame rails. Spent the first while trimming and fitting...

Here you can see the tabs have been bent to overlap the rail extensions. The driver's side is fully welded in and the passenger side is partially done - hopefully I can finish these off this weekend and move on to splicing in the floor pan extension...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:34 PM.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                      :(
                      No kidding - that was a pretty sad sight but thankfully I made a little progress today. I'm getting pretty antsy to finish this up... might have to spend a little less time at the office!
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS THIRTY SIX - THIRTY SEVEN

Finished securing the frame rail extensions so I hit them with some primer and moved on to the floor pan extension. I'm not a fan of the tow hook so off it came - used a knotted wire wheel this time, instead of a flapper wheel, to take off the seam sealer; worked beautifully...

The GLI pan angles up at the back so it's actually pretty close in depth and profile to the TT pan where it meets the trunk. So sketched a line on the pan and cut it off so it can be spliced in with the TT pan. There's also a reinforcing bracket by the tape measure that needed to come off - thought I'd remove it nicely in case its worth welding back in...

Prepped the installed pan areas that will be joining with these other pieces and by then it was dark and patience was disappearing quickly too so time to call it a day.
                        Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:40 PM.
                        Work - houzz / linkedin
                        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Double digit temps for a few days this week!!!!
                          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

DAY THIRTY EIGHT

Decided to just extend the pan in smaller pieces - the pan/bumper area intersection has multiple planes to connect to and neither pan works on its own. The radius on this GLI section is very close to the TT radius so it was prepped and the first piece to go in - the clamped portions that overlap were cut flush-ish and then butt-welded together. Notice the back tab where the spot-welds were drilled out... there are three different mounting depths there. One at the top, another by the hole in the tab and a third at the bottom...

Don't be a jack-ass: always precisely measure and mark out your cuts before safely securing the item to be cut to something stable and trustworthy. Last but not least, always use the proper tool for the job in a well lit area...

I cut this top piece along the crease before the radius that bends down into the wheel-well since the GLI crease was bigger than the TT's - so now they match up nicely and it made fitting easier. I tacked this panel into place and called it a night but next time I'll fill the two little holes you can see from the earlier butt-weld and do some work on the back tabs. Unfortunately this top piece isn't wide enough to go all the way to the inner-fender but there's a vertical portion that needs to bridge the upper and lower portion of the inner-fender by the clamp anyway; so maybe I can just cut another piece a bit long and bend it at the top...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:50 PM.
                            Work - houzz / linkedin
                            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                              Double digit temps for a few days this week!!!!
                              Ya, I can't believe this weather we're having now - hope it keeps up!
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY THIRTY NINE

Tacked down the driver's side a little better and fit and tacked two pieces of the floor pan on the passenger side...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-08-2017, 04:52 PM.
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X