My B6 "S4" - Project Lemonade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My B6 S4 - Project Lemonade?

Did some work on the B7 yesterday (thanks Terry and Sam!), man i didn't realize how big this motor was until i got the front end off of it! Once the front end was removed i was faced with a nasty surprise (literally), looks like i need to add valve cover gaskets to the shopping list. Anyways, this is the first car ive ever worked on that has an actual coolant drain plug right on the water pump! Unlike everything else on this car, that was a pleasant surprise. Speaking of surprises, after a few hours of peeking around the engine bay, labeling stuff and unplugging stuff the motors ready to be pulled... except after crawling under the car i discovered that my exhaust is one piece all the way from the end of the exhaust manifold to the rear sub frame.. So, instead of undoing some easy to access clamps right before the cats i now have to try to undo the bolts at the exhaust manifold... where there is minimal space, and the bolts are tight as hell... great.

So, here it sits for now, i gave up on trying to undo those bolts yesterday, just gonna be spraying them down with penetrative fluids for the next couple of days and try again next weekend.

Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Id suggest pulling out the subframes and pulling everything out in one unit
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
        Idk.. thatll be kinda dificult without a hoist. Also doesnt help my exhaust issue
        Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
          This.

It's much easier to do so this way.

Top mounts, propshaft, wiring... annnnnnd drop.

Then you can do things at your leisure without having to double as a contortionist.
          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
          Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
          Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
            This.

It's much easier to do so this way.

Top mounts, propshaft, wiring... annnnnnd drop.

Then you can do things at your leisure without having to double as a contortionist.
            Interesting, ill look into it for sure. How high do you reckon the front end of my car has to be jacked up in order to have the clearance?
            Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

As high as your jack and stands will allow. Nice to have as much room underneath as possible whilst disconnecting things like the propshaft and subframe bolts, etc.

Comment

Any news?

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                  Any news?
                  Been busy heliping out my brother on his 67 Mustang project and Jerry with his 3.2 GLI... currently busywith exams and such, so i havnt really touched it at all since the last post.

...Progress on the great audi-swaparoo continues after June 23rd!
                  Last edited by GingerBeef; 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM.
                  Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

So, little bit of progress haha.
                    Recently i traded a Jetta ive had sitting in my backyard for ages + cash for this thing!
                    It needs some front end body work, but im really happy with it! Ive been focusing on getting it looking presentable this summer thus far.

But anyways, enough of that. The other day i was waiting for the new paint on the hood to dry, so my buddy and i dropped the front subframe on the B7. Engine and trans have officially been removed from the body... just need to get the car up on massive jackstand so i can actually pull it out...

Last edited by GingerBeef; 07-23-2015, 01:28 PM.
                    Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

You should be able to pull the engine with a proper hoist at that level. Undo the transmission crossmember

Pat

His
                      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Your updates are a month late! :P
                        Very nice I like the Corrado!
                        -Faraaz

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                          You should be able to pull the engine with a proper hoist at that level. Undo the transmission crossmember
                          I was planning on just pulling everything out as one big unit. Currently everything is already detached and sitting on the ground, i just need to get the body high enough so i can roll everything out from under the car.
                          Right now the suspension and wheels are stuck inside the wheel well.
                          Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Finally got the time to work on this project again! Done working on that Corrado for now, all the bodyworks pretty much finished, i just have to put it all together. Spent the last few days going hard with Terry and Jerry (+ other occasional helping hands) stripping the B7 down to it's shell. Were just trying to get as much done as we can before we all head out to Hongcouver for the GCVWS.

What we ended up doing to get the front subframe out was jacking the car up onto jackstands and dropping the front subframe with the wheels onto a pair of jacks. Then we connected the engine crane to the frame of the S4 to lift it in the air as high as it could go and then we dropped it on some RV jackstands. After that, it was the (not so) easy job of disconnecting the rusted on prop shaft and then disconnect the exhaust. Finally, wheel the whole thing away So, things are looking pretty good. About 90% of the cars done, all thats left to do is remove the steering column, wiring harness, gas tank and a few last few hoses and brackets that ill save just in case. Then once the scrap guys here ill quickly zip off those last 2 doors! Then onto the next car... where ill pretty much have to do this all again from the start, but put it back together and pray it works. Easy, right?
                            But untill then, the B6 sits. For now...

Last edited by GingerBeef; 08-18-2015, 01:04 AM.
                            Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Before you throw out the shell, would you mind grabbing the obd connector along with 6" of wiring attached to it?

Pat

His
                              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                                Before you throw out the shell, would you mind grabbing the obd connector along with 6" of wiring attached to it?
                                No worries! I actually stripped all the wiring out just in case people need stuff like that haha

Mini update. Yesterday we mostly did little things, unclipping the wiring from the chassis, taking off the last few little brackets and accesories from the engine bay. Then we hooked the crane up the rear end and dropped the rear subframe + gas tank.. almost done with the B7! (Also, anyone know how to remove the brake booster from these things? lol... im not a huge fan of all the **** Audi put in the raintray..

Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X