B5 A4 engine/trans pull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5 A4 engine/trans pull?

So I currently have a B5 A4 1.8T Q 5-speed that has an immaculately running engine/trans but the body is quite rough. I have sourced another clean body with a toasted motor, better colour and more options! My plan is to swap my powertrain and drivetrain (less km) into the better body. Both cars are 2001 and have the AWM engine so it's a direct swap.

How difficult is it to pull the whole motor/trans together? Any special tools I would need? (I have all the tools to do a MK2 teardown) I would also want to swap the rear diff since mine has less km and I know it runs flawlessly. Any maintenance I should do to the motor while it's out? (186k km) My timing belt/h2o pump aren't due yet but I think I'll do them at this point anyway. I also want to swap my entire interior into the new car. Any tips for this swap?

And yes, it'll be getting coilovers and wheels too!

My current one (this is the good side of the car)

The new shell

Last edited by Fizzo20; 05-01-2015, 01:34 PM.
    -Faraaz

Re: B5 A4 engine/trans pull?

Easy to pull. You'll need triple squares for the axles.

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I don't have any tips for you but good score on the shell and keep us posted on the progress!
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
        Easy to pull. You'll need triple squares for the axles.
        I have the triple square for MK2 driveshafts, 8mm I think? Do you know if they're the same?
        Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
        I don't have any tips for you but good score on the shell and keep us posted on the progress!
        Thanks I will! The B5 swap will happen in the first week of July after I finish my (second) MK2 VR swap
        -Faraaz

Comment

What's easier, dropping the subframe from underneath or taking off the front end and sliding it forward and out?
          -Faraaz

Comment

Should be the same size triple square. Front end and slide out.

Pat

His

Hers
            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Definitely drop the SF with the motor/trans as one. So much less work that way. BTDT.

Also, just my two cents, leave the diff that's in the car. That way you have a low-km spare handy, just in case. And it's less work overall that way, because the likelihood of the rear diff grenading is so low at stock power. You'll already have enough on your plate with the power train and interior swaps. Which I recommend to do one at a time.
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Never done it that way. I've never had issues pilling the whole engine trans combo out the front

Pat

His

Hers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

What I like is it's the four SF bolts off the bottom after all the coolant/vac/boost/exh/elec connections that needed done anyways and the eight propshaft bolts (triple squares) then you're done. Oh, and the two strut mount bolts.

After that, when it's on the ground, everything is at your leisure to disassemble in front of you instead of inside the engine bay.

EDIT:

Or in this case, just wheel over to the new car and reassemble on a platter.
                  Last edited by PRY4SNO; 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM. Reason: final thought

Comment

This might be a stupid question but wouldn't you need a lift to lift the shell up and away from the motor/subframe? Or could I just lift it with a couple guys and roll it back? Basically I want to pull the motor and drop it in the other car in the simplest and quickest way possible. The only service it'll get is a tbelt/h2o pump. I thought about it and agree on the diff; I'll just keep my low km one as a spare.
                    -Faraaz

Comment

Don't drop the subframe. Loosen them only. Drop the rear bolts from the frame and loosen the sway bar bolts. There are 6 in total (18mm)
                      Undo the transmission mounts 4 volts total (13mm) from each side. Remove the drive shaft 6 bolts (6mm Allen key). Remove the 12 triple squares for the axles (#8 triple)
                      Undo the engine mounts bolts. 2 can't remember the size of the stock stuff.
                      Undo the exhaust coupler and hammer that ***** off.
                      Remove the rad support, bumper etc.
                      you can remove the ac compressor from the engine or drain te system and simply undo the lines.
                      Remove the ecu from the driver upper corner and leav it in the engine. There are 5 clips I think in the ecu area to remove.
                      Remove boost pipes and disconnect the clips attached to the firewall. You won't need to undo much for wiring rather just I clip them from the car.
                      It's pretty simple to pull at that point.
                      2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                      Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Oh and drain your ps fluid. Remove the lines from the reservoir. Do not start the car until it's been filled with vw/Audi mineral oil or you will kill the pump quick. It connects to the rack with 2 hardlines behind the block.
                        I like to remove the line from the slave. Some like to leave the line and pull the slave. It's upto you.

they are pretty simple to work on, I can pull the engine from the S in an hour now. Once you've pulled it you learn a lot. I suggest you take your time and take some pictures of al the stuff behind the engine you can't see normally.

Get the car high up makes things easier too. Maintenance items (water pump, timing belt) are a good idea while its out. It's also a good time for exhaust upgrades or turbo if you can afford or want to do them.

Good luck!
                        Last edited by stuvy; 05-02-2015, 05:56 PM.
                        2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                        Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

One thing about the PS pump, you can prime it by hand to prevent any air intake. Just turn it clockwise until fluid comes out of the banjo bolt.

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies guys!! I can't wait to attempt this. It's seeming like it shouldn't be too hard at all.
                            Still lots of work left to do on the MK2 so I gotta get that on the road before I can start tearing into the daily driven B5.
                            It's looking like I'll start in July when I have some time off so that it's not too rushed and done right.
                            -Faraaz

Comment

Ok, finally an update. So the project got a little postponed so we just started tearing apart the blue car yesterday and pretty much got to the point of lifting it out and were having issues separating the motor from the chassis. It seemed like we had missed something and since it was 3:30am by this point, we decided to call it a night. Today we're going to try and finish pulling the motor and get it ready for its new heart.

I have a favour to ask of anyone who is willing, though. I have the brave goal of getting the entire new motor in and running by the end of the day tomorrow (Thurs) as I have work in Edmonton and I need to drive there Friday morning... and want to drive the blue A4. Is there anyone with some good B5 knowledge that's willing to lend me a hand today and tomorrow? You will be fed and there will be beer! Please let me know if anyone is willing. I live in Sundance in the SE.

Here's a crappy half asleep 3am photo of where we are at the moment:

-Faraaz

Comment

Working...
                              X