Cam Followers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Followers

So I have had a little sputter every now and then for the last few months, usually just when passing, with no CEL or other indication of problems. I decided for the little time it takes I would check the HPFP cam follower today. Imagine my surprise:

I live in the middle of nowhere now, so I guess I'm not driving until I can get a new one on Tuesday at the earliest. Car has 155k km and I have never looked at the follower until now. At least the cam doesn't appear to have any significant wear and the tip of the HPFP hasn't worn right off.

I am a little concerned about the chunk from the tip of the follower floating around in the cam chain cover, have seen some vids of the horrible consequences. I have tried to find a video/instructions for removing the cam chain cover since it looks like there are some springs or something in there and it's pretty tight for room on the back of the engine, so far nothing online or in the Bentley. All I have seen so far have the engine out of the car. Anyone know if it's doable?
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: Cam Followers

Which year is your car? Pre 2007s had extended warranties on the cam followers, HPFP and the cam shafts up to 12 years and 200k Km. If your ride is post 2007 I don't believe they're covered which is ridiculous cuz they're clearly still prone to failures.
    If your engine still runs chances are the metal severe made its way safely past the moving components and chances are any remaining metal bits have been flushed out during the numerous oil changes. Some guys will run magnetic oil drain bolts which works fairly well at collecting the loose metal bits. Hate seeing these pics and even more hate towards the VAG group for not owning up to the obvious design flaw and recalling every 2.0T FSI cam followers changing them to the cam rollers (TSI).
    Good luck man
    sigpic
    Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
    ex MK6 Golf R RB
    ex MK6 GTI CSG
    ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
    ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Can always try your luck at the dealer...print off a few pages of these recent examples (you've probably seen this page already)
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=6871374
      sigpic
      Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
      ex MK6 Golf R RB
      ex MK6 GTI CSG
      ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
      ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

That's what mine looked like at 70k km, the center part was somewhere in the engine, I drove it for another 50k km without any problems. I did replace the HPFP because it was slightly worn on one side, if the tip of the pump is worn, it might stop the follower from turning properly and cause it to wear even faster than it already does. But this reminds me, I'm going to change mine today.
        Last edited by RobG; 05-24-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

i possibly have 1 or 2 old ones if you need them? i'd have to look i replaced mine every 20k km in my gti

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Powell River, BC, now so I have a new one coming. If I was still in Calgary or somewhere with a dealer I would go for warranty but as it is I have ferries and many hours driving to the closest dealers in Vancouver or Victoria.

The tip on the pump looks a bit rounded, but nothing that would indicate something that would bind up the follower. It didn't wear to the spring retainer thankfully.
            Jeff
            Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
            Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

I had that fuel pump go on me in my gti. Not sure what the problem was with it.

Comment

After seeing pictures such as this, I replaced my cam follower in my 2007 passat. I don't have photo's on hand but the black coating had just the slightest of marks in it. Car had 125k when I had the follower changed and completely stock. There was a thread on audizine about these and some people were wearing theirs out every 6-7k km's but their cars were heavily modified.

Comment

I only ever had the slightest dent in my metal. I was apr stage 1 with intake. Sad to say I miss that car but it wasn't 4 door.

Comment

Dam that's brutal! I have followers I can ship to you overnight
                    Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Replaced a bad one today

Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X