Buying a Dash Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Dash Cam

I'm in the process of buying a Dam Cam. Do any members use one and can anyone give any pro/cons on the make they use?
    Are there any potential legal issues?

I researched online reviews and some threads on Beyond.
    I'm looking at the G1W. It was reviewed on Wire Cutter last month.

My budget is up to $150-200. But from the reviews for the G1W, $90 on Amazon is not bad. I'm leaning towards this.
    I am open to trying to find a cam where I can attach two cameras (i.e one for the back and the front). But if its too much work, im happy with the one camera.

As for my reasons to buy one. I finally got my own place down south. Deerfoot has been my commute for the last month. I have noticed a lot of drivers do not keep breaking distance or check their mirrors, its to a point try to avoid part of the drive and take 52nd north sometimes. I've had a couple of close calls with drivers cutting in front and hitting the brakes. I'm driving much more defensively and anticipating. But this morning was a close one. I had a driver not check his blind spot and he cut into my lane and nearly took me out.
    Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
    2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
    2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Re: Buying a Dash Cam

BlackVue or bust.
    Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

I was looking into this a few months ago and i came very close to purchasing a Mini 0805 model (i think the newer 0806 version is out now). I liked the very small size and how discrete it is, the higher resolution (2304×1296) as well as it's night vision camera that appears to be very good and better than most other night vision cameras out there. It can include GPS in the base of the device which records location and rate of speed, a G sensor which will automatically kick the device on in case of someone bumping into your car in the parking lot.

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/mini-0805/

Comment

I picked this up

http://www.ojocam.com/
        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Fellas
          Do these solutions do Front & Rear, together?
          Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
            I picked this up

http://www.ojocam.com/
            Looks nearly identical to the other one that i posted, i believe they are all just re-branded chinese made models.

As for doing front and rear, maybe just get two cameras if they are cheap enough?

Comment

It all depends if you want front and rear etc. Blackvue is awesome but pricey. I bought my dad a Panomora G it has amazing footage and easy to use. Bought it from Pier 28 but the FX rates really depreciated now so Amazon might be your best friend. London Drugs has the Transcend on sale this coming week.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/new-arrivals
              https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/dashcams.html

Comment

Colin jailbroke an iPhone for me and that's what I use with a Camkix wide angle lens on it.r
                Last edited by Geobmx4life; 07-16-2015, 06:01 PM.
                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I did a lot of research before buying a dashcam.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Don't get a GoPro or iPhone, it works fine for a while but the point is to have something discrete that you can always have on.
                  2. The technology is really still in infancy so expect issues and bugs with all products.
                  3. Prices are pretty high for many models, but don't go for dated tech.
                  4. Hardwire it!

My final choice was the Lukas LK-7950, it's dual camera front and back real 1080p, small enough to hide in front of my rearview mirror, has parking mode, supports large SD and microSD cards (included), has an integrated GPS, wifi, battery drain protection, and support from the developer.
                  It is also "only" about $300.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...27950_33920290

The first one I got had a defect and the manufacturer sent me a new one by express mail right away.
                  Last edited by witchcraftz; 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Hey Wildfire. the G1W is considered a decent budget dash cam. lots of fakes out there too so need to be careful. see below for list of legit resellers.
                    https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/thread...-listing.7619/
                    only $56 here including shipping. but shipping is slow.
                    http://www.banggood.com/Full-HD1080P...-p-916394.html
                    i have the Mini 0801. nice and small. it was around $110. discontinued model but i think the successor is 0806 as Mech stated. the only downside is that it is mounted using double sided tape and not suction mount. so if you plan on transferring from car back and forth you will have to buy another mount. the mount is also the power station so it's not cheap. been running mine for over a year without any issues yet. its basic though and doesnt have the extra features as the more expensive ones.
                    http://www.blackboxed.ca/collections/mini

EDIT: just noticed its the same as the Ojocam.
                    Last edited by ryukin2000; 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
                    2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                      I looked around and I am leaning towards the Ojocam for its price, size simplicity.
                      I could not find much on rearview cams. Duel cameras are pretty pricey.

That being said I witnessed some pretty insane driving during rush hour yesterday and I nearly got taken out by someone from behind.
                      That incident made me seriously consider a rear cam. Im probably gona go for the Ojocam for the front and the G1W for the back as its easier to remove. I have a rear power socket in my Zonda and its cheaper to buy two cams then the duel.
                      2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI

Comment

Dashcam Update.

So I ordered the G1W and Im really happy with it. I had to buy a 32G memory card, but I managed to get one on sale for only $20.

Good points.
                        For only $56, its a good buy. Im happy with the resolution. It was a bit of a fiddle to figure out how it works. But its pretty easy. It starts recording as soon as you start your car and switches off shortly after. Any sudden movement and the camera comes on, this wil be good if someone hits you whilst parked. You can adjust the sensitivity too.
                        The power cable is long and I have it running from the rear socket in my CRV. Though if you can, hardwire it.
                        The camera itself was a lot smaller then I expected it to be. I expected it to be big as my smart phone (S3). Its defo smaller.

Bad.
                        It takes FOREVER to arrive. No joke. Shipping is super slow. They also messed up my order and charged me for two. They stated my credit card was declined, so I tried again. The order went through. But I was charged for two. Im getting a refund, but again the whole process is slow.

The Dashcam is set as auto overwrite. But on occasions I have to format the SD card. Not sure why it does that. Not a big issue as it only takes a couple of seconds to format.

Overall. Im really happy. Total cost was only $76. Not bad for a decent camera.
                        If you can handle the long wait. I would defo recommend.
                        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI

Comment

I'm gong to get this I think.
                          http://www.compustardash.com
                          15 GTI
                          65 Beetle
                          87 BMW E30

Comment

Not to put that one down but resolution is probably something you don't want to skimp out on with a dash cam. 720p HD is just about the lowest quality you can get these days I believe, I just don't want somebody to hit you and get away because you couldn't get a clear read on a license plate.

Comment

I ordered an ojocam yesterday after my little incident. $135USD with a hardwire kit and 32Gb memory card, free shipping and if you give them your email you get 20% off.
                              We will see how it is when it gets here.
                              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                              X