Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: VW in trouble

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
    The whole VW diesel thing should have set a precedent for this kind of violation, so FCA *should* face an equivalent penalty for this. I suspect they'll get a slap on the wrist for this, just like GM did for the whole ignition switch problem.
    You are so right about this!

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
      "How many trucks operate in the U.S.?
      Estimates of 15.5 million trucks operate in the U.S.. Of this figure 2 million are tractor trailers."

Go after the 400,000 Volkswagens!

http://www.truckinfo.net/trucking/stats.htm
      I was waiting for someone to throw up those numbers
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

American customers will have to wait a bit longer than usual to get their hands on brand-new Volkswagen Group products. Speaking at the company’s Group Night event in Geneva this week, CEO Matthias Mueller said U.S. certification is taking longer than usual as a result of post-Dieselgate skepticism by regulators.

Specifically, Mueller said that U.S. homologation of the new Porsche Panamera is expected to take three months longer than it normally would because “they are very much against us.”

Aside from the increased certification time, Volkswagen faces a number of problems in the U.S. related to its diesel crisis. Never mind the huge buyback process, the company has agreed to pay a whopping $4.3 billion in penalties.

The Volkswagen Group has a huge presence at the Geneva Motor Show this week, the highlight of which (so far) has been the Arteon, a svelte, range-topping replacement for the CC. Other big production car debuts from the Group include the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo and Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

“It is a matter of trust,” Mueller said. Until that trust within the U.S. regulation staff is rebuilt, anxious fans of new VW Group will need to be patient.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

That's kind of crazy, it's going to be interesting to see how they do in the next few years. Engine wise/ innovation wise.

looking at the buy back or compensation for Canada it doesn't seem that great compared to the US?

Blackbook based on current value. I thought the US got blackbook back dated to when the scandal started (so basically value as at Sept 2015) that's a big difference if so.

I'm still not sure what I want to do with mine. Still not sure how the fix will be.
          Last edited by Tuna; 03-07-2017, 08:25 PM.
          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
            That's kind of crazy, it's going to be interesting to see how they do in the next few years. Engine wise/ innovation wise.

looking at the buy back or compensation for Canada it doesn't seem that great compared to the US?

Blackbook based on current value. I thought the US got blackbook back dated to when the scandal started (so basically value as at Sept 2015) that's a big difference if so.

I'm still not sure what I want to do with mine. Still not sure how the fix will be.
            USA got bluebook value from by understanding, that combined with conversion makes it a big difference. My understanding is no fix for anything that doesn't have adblue, but I have also heard a new exhaust system with an adblue tank for the cars without. Will have to wait and see.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
              USA got bluebook value from by understanding, that combined with conversion makes it a big difference. My understanding is no fix for anything that doesn't have adblue, but I have also heard a new exhaust system with an adblue tank for the cars without. Will have to wait and see.
              Interesting, well my letter specifically states there are 3 options (pending court approval of course)...
              1. give it back, take money offered (which started at a ridiculously low price (3k or something) +$5100
              2. Trade it in on another VW (this seems like mostly the same as above?) +$5100
              3. Keep it and have them apply an approved "fix" +$5100

Maybe option 3 is hypothetical.
              Jay

Comment

i haven't gotten a letter from audi yet but i think the 3.0s are coming out soon enough.. if i read right the deal on the 3.0 is basically going to be the same as the 2.0

Comment

Since I purchased my TDI and imported it from the USA, I've submitted an application for the USA "repair" program.

Have to see how it pans out, so far so good, nothing on the VW site says you have to be a US resident/citizen to take advantage of this, only that the car's VIN had to be accepted on their end.
                  Last edited by witchcraftz; 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Volkswagen pleaded guilty on Friday, March 10, to felony charges of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and introducing imported merchandise into the United States by means of false statements. The scope of the German’s automaker’s punishment isn’t yet clear because the judge isn’t sentencing the company until April 21.

United States District Court Judge Sean Cox decided that he wanted more time before accepting the proposed settlement. “It’s incumbent on me to make a considerate decision,” he said, according to The Detroit News. “and ... I just want more time to reflect and study.”

When asked by the judge why the automaker was pleading guilty, VW General Counsel Manfred Doess told the court, “VW is pleading guilty to the information because it is guilty to all three counts,” according to Automotive News.

In January 2017, VW and United States Department of Justice agreed to a settlement where the automaker would pay $4.3 billion dollars in penalties, including $2.8 billion for criminal violations and $1.5 billion to the Environmental Protection Agency. The company would also be on probation for three years and would have oversight from an independent monitor. Five company executive would also face charges.

If the judge decides not to accept the terms of the settlement with the DoJ, he could impose a fine as high as $34 billion on VW, according to Automotive News.

In 2015, environmental regulators in the U.S. published their notice of violation against VW for using emissions defeat devices on its 2.0-liter four-cylinder and 3.0-liter V6 diesel engines in models from Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche. In total, the problem affected over 590,000 vehicles in the country.

Since then, the automaker has agreed to a $14.7 billion civil penalty over the 2.0-liter engine and $1.2 billion for the 3.0-liter powerplant. The company also owes $1.2 billion as a settlement with its dealers.

VW Group CEO Matthias Mueller admitted during the recent Geneva Motor Show that the emissions scandal has delayed vehicle homologation in the U.S. For example, he said that certification of the Porsche Panamera would take about three months longer than normal because "they are very much against us” – in reference to regulators.
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Swedish publication Teknikens Värld is best known for its Moose Test that challenges a vehicle’s ability to avoid the giant mammal. However, A new evaluation from the team there is showing that Volkswagen Group’s fix for the automaker’s diesel emissions scandal in Europe is often causing the affected models to lose power and use more fuel.

Teknikens Värld dyno tested 10 VW Group products from Skoda, Volkswagen, and Audi, including ones with affected the 1.6- and 2.0-liter diesel engines, before and after the recall. The publication found higher fuel consumption in nearly model with the 2.0-liter after the fix. In general, these vehicles also made less torque – by almost 10 percent in the case of one Audi Q5.

When looking at the dyno graph, the recall repair shifted the location of the torque curve so that the max figure occurred at a higher rpm. In the real world, this meant that drivers needed to push down harder on the accelerator to feel like they had the same performance as before.

VW is performing a software update for the 2.0-liter diesel, but the 1.6-liter also receives a device that swirls the flow of gases ahead of the air mass sensor. According to Teknikens Värld, none of the 1.6-liter models that it tested lost power. In fact, one of them saw an increase in horsepower and torque output.

“We follow all tests closely which is why we are interested in Teknikens Värld’s test results and how the test was performed,” Marcus Thomasfolk, Head of Communication Volkswagen Sweden, told Teknikens Värld. “We still have yet to learn the details of Teknikens Värld’s test and the method used and look forward to doing so in order to comment more specifically.”

Before anyone in the United States reads these results and gets concerned, remember that the fix in Europe is different than the one in North America. In the United States, the automaker’s proposed fix for the 2.0-liter diesel first adds new software. Sometime in 2017, the company is adding a second software change, new diesel particulate filter, diesel oxidation catalyst, and NOx catalyst.

VW has pleaded guilty to felony charges over Dieselgate in the United States for conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and introducing imported merchandise into the country by means of false statements. The judge is still deciding on the final punishment, which could be in excess of a previously agreed settlement of $4.3 billion.
                      Blair

Comment

I've been approved and am scheduling my appointment for some time in the next couple of weeks.

So to all folks, if your TDI is from the USA, you should do your recall though VWGoA.

Of course I'm going to get a Malone tune right after lol
                        Last edited by witchcraftz; 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Great news I think. I'd be happy to pick up a lightly used TDI in a few years to use as a daily, so hopefully this happens in Canada too.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has cleared Volkswagen to sell fixed diesel vehicles in the U.S.

The German automaker hasn’t been able to sell a diesel-powered car in the U.S. since it admitted to cheating on emissions tests in 2015. It has now received approval from the EPA to sell 2015 model year diesels after updating the vehicles’ emissions software. The fix will also include changes to the diesel engine hardware, but dealers do not have to wait until the repair parts become available next year.

While reviving diesel sales is part of Volkswagen’s recovery efforts as a result of the scandal, the big question that remains is how many consumers are still interested in buying Volkswagen diesel vehicles, especially older 2015 model year cars. There’s also the reports that European Volkswagen owners are saying the diesel fix is “ruining” their cars, so it’s possible they don’t perform as advertised. It appears Volkswagen will also have the option to sell repaired vehicles that it bought back from owners.
                          http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...iesel-cars-us/
                          Last edited by CGY_GTI; 03-30-2017, 03:23 PM.
                          Scott
                          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Working...
                          X