A Gambler’s Thread – e30mclow’s Replacement S4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Gambler’s Thread – e30mclow’s Replacement S4

I wasn't happy with how the exhaust fit, or with the leaky joints. After asking around at a few shops, I wasn't left with much confidence that they'd get everything the way I wanted it.

So, I bought a $90 Amazon MIG, some stainless wire, 2 vbands and decided to learn to weld.

Worked out great!

I took photos of things tacked in place, but of course forgot to take any once all together.

No running APR cats to the SSAC Twin 1. Sounds really good, if not a tad loud at idle. Happy to have no leaks!

Comment

Bought and installed a new spoiler, I just need to decide if I like it or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
      Last edited by e30mclow; 07-29-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I like it!
        Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Managed to trade some spare intercoolers for a clean pair of Brembo 18z calipers. They should arrive today, then I'll get going on piecing together a nice BBK.

Mercedes ML55 discs seem to be the favorable option, which can be gotten pretty cheap @ $120-140/pair. I'm just wondering do I splurge and get a pair of discs customized by Adam's Rotors to have some sort of aggressive pattern to really make the BBK stand out.....looks to be about $330/pair delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
            Managed to trade some spare intercoolers for a clean pair of Brembo 18z calipers. They should arrive today, then I'll get going on piecing together a nice BBK.

Mercedes ML55 discs seem to be the favorable option, which can be gotten pretty cheap @ $120-140/pair. I'm just wondering do I splurge and get a pair of discs customized by Adam's Rotors to have some sort of aggressive pattern to really make the BBK stand out.....looks to be about $330/pair delivered.
            My current rotors are Adam's Rotors. They did their job and looked pretty good too
            --
            Rod
            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Got home to my BBK package!

They'll clean up with a scrub. They're the color I wanted and I don't mind the slightly aged look - anything too shiney would make the rears look garbage.

Ordered all the necessary parts tonight, which should arrive next week. Can't wait to fill the wheels up!

Comment

Got out for a drive last night while the weather was cool

Comment

Looking good Gerard!!
                  Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

The final few pieces came in to complete the 18z swap.

Piles of spoke clearance on my of Work reps, so my current wheels should be similar. Looks like 17s would clear with a spacer and some trimming of the caliper.

Comment

Got my 18Z brakes installed this weekend.

Started strong @ around 8AM on Saturday, and was ready to bleed them by noon. That proved rather impossible, as I had made a complete derp of it all and installed my 18Zr on the right, and 18Zl on the left (which is logical). Low and behold that was wrong, and the one stamped R is for the left, and L is for the right.

Switched them around and they bled fine. Big improvement in braking power.

I also swapped out my leaky F hose for the 034 silicone one, so the car is really running like a champ.
                      Next up is a quick tune revision, then convincing myself that I don't need meth injection.

Comment

You need meth
                        Dylan

Comment

Meth. Yes.
                          TJ
                          '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                          '01 Silver S4

Comment

or crack.

Comment

Pics of the brakes and get yourself on that meth!!! Everyone is doing it!!!
                              Blair
                              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Gave her one hell of a clean today

Need to actually drive the thing and get the pads bedded in a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X