Correct Tire Pressure on Larger Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Tire Pressure on Larger Wheels

So I've been looking at the stock tires pressures of mk4 Jettas recently and the pressures for the 20/55/16, 225/45/17 and 225/40/18 tires are all different, pattern is that as the profile get smaller the pressure is also higher in about 2psi increments, what tire pressure is the best for me if I'm running 235/35/19? 2psi higher than the 18inch tire pressure?
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Re: Correct Tire Pressure on Larger Wheels

I have always run around 36psi on that tire size for the different cars I have run with it. If you follow the 2psi rule outlined you would be at 36psi front and 34psi rear which would be a good place to start.
    Current: Golf R and a corporate lease nobody cares about

Comment

I'd suggest reading the recommended PSI on the tires themselves. Some tires have very different PSI requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
        I'd suggest reading the recommended PSI on the tires themselves. Some tires have very different PSI requirements.
        x2

Comment

The tire pressure recommendation from VW is partially based on weight of the car and weight distribution as well... 34psi in the front and 42psi in the back with the OEM 18’s. Personally, I've been running those wheels in the winter and then just kept the same pressure in my 19’s durning the summer but good idea to play with pressures a little for better response in the corners.

The max pressure recommendation that I’ve noticed on the 235/35/19 sidewalls is 50psi but worth checking your specific tire for sure. Let us know how the testing goes!
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Look at the load rating and pressure on the tires. Weigh each axle and adjust pressure to the same ratio.

Comment

Working...
            X