New Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Top Gear

Just finished watching the new Top Gear series with Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc as hosts. Despite reading all the negative reviews on the Guardian's live review earlier in the day, I watched it with an open mind and hoping for the best. While they've done a great job of maintaining the top notch production value and interesting challenges, I was pretty disappointed over all.

Chris Evans was trying WAY too hard and LeBlanc seemed nervous in studio and really scripted. Chemistry between them seemed pretty engineered. As this is just their first episode I'll reserve final judgement until they have an opportunity to hit their stride, but seems this is the beginning of the end of Top Gear.

One potential glimmer of hope is that Chris Harris and Rory Reid did a great job on Extra Gear following the show. I think they should have just cast those two plus one other relative "unknown" as the hosts. Harris is totally natural on camera, interesting to watch, and has the same sort of mischievous nature and enthusiasm as Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Perhaps the Producers will do some shuffling next season and we'll see Harris replace the other Chris. Fingers crossed.
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Re: New Top Gear

I would love it if Harris took over as the main person on the show. Always thought he's the natural replacement for the big three.
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

The first TG sucked. Give it some time

Tapashutupyourface.
      Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

16 minutes into it and...meh...Chris Evans seems a bit annoying to me. I'll give it some time...
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

Drove

Comment

Anybody have a link to watch it?

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            Torrents??

Sent from my perch atop Mount Olympus
            --
            Rod
            Ex-presidente

Drive

Drove

Comment

Hola Unblocker for Google Chrome, then go to BBC iPlayer and set your location to the UK - fast and in HD!
              Scott
              '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
              '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                Torrents??

Sent from my perch atop Mount Olympus
                Y'arrrgh, my days of pillaging booty on the open waters are done. I'd rather stream if there is a source that is legal

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
                Hola Unblocker for Google Chrome, then go to BBC iPlayer and set your location to the UK - fast and in HD!
                Thanks
                Last edited by MechEngg; 05-30-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I think is was ok, but I'd be nervous too if I had to live up to the reputation of the prior hosts.

They just need to loosen up a bit and bring in their own personality, not emulate what came before them.

Comment

Y'arrrgh, my days of pillaging booty on the open waters are done. I'd rather stream if there is a source that is legal

Thanks
                    I think the closest to a legitimate way (but still not legit) to watch this right now would be getting a UK VPN service and watching it on BBC iPlayer. www.blackvpn.com
                    This would be totally legit if you managed to find a way to voluntarily pay a UK TV License!
                    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

I like it. I hope they stop playing up the "Matt LeBlanc is American fish out of water" thing

Comment

I too found Chris Evans Annoying. Or maybe it is just his voice? How did that guy become a millionaire through radio?

I hope that the rallycross track modification will lend more support and interest into World rallycross and GRC.

Comment

Based on what you guys said and other online reviews I was expecting it to be OK. 1/2 way through I could barley watch it. Evans was very annoying and Matt was like a robot reading from a teleprompter. That's the last Top Gear for me :( Bring on the Grand Tour!
                          2015 Audi RS7, Sepang Blue, Carbon Optic Package, Performance Package, Driver Assistant Plus Package, Black Alcantara Headliner
                          2015 Audi A3, Glut Orange, 2.0 TFSI Technik, S Line Package - Wife's
                          2006 Audi S4, Sprint Blue Pearl, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Navigation - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post
                            Based on what you guys said and other online reviews I was expecting it to be OK. 1/2 way through I could barley watch it. Evans was very annoying and Matt was like a robot reading from a teleprompter. That's the last Top Gear for me :( Bring on the Grand Tour!
                            This is kind of how I felt for the last couple of seasons of Old Top Gear to be honest. The format was getting really stale.
                            Last edited by jacktown; 06-01-2016, 11:47 PM.
                            Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

I have not had a chance to watch it yet but I think BBC Canada is showing it on Saturdays, so first one tomorrow.
                              Blair
                              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                              X