Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel spacers trouble

Hey guys,

So I have now gone through 3 brands and $600 of spacers and cannot seem to get the shaking out of my car. after taking all spacers off, no shakes at all. car drives smooth and is very enjoyable.

I am just about to give up running spacers, but cannot get over how good the spacers look on the car.

The spacers I have used are from 5mm-15mm and the brands were H&R, ECS tuning, and 42 draft design. all spacers were hubcentric to the hub and the wheels. they were always mounted after cleaning the hub and tightening the bolts in a star pattern 2-3 times, driving the car for a bit then torqued back down to 110-120lbs.

is there something im missing here? anyone have experience with this?

also, the wheels have been balanced multiple times as well.
    Last edited by skhan91; 06-27-2016, 12:41 AM.

Re: wheel spacers trouble

Wheel bearing starting to go?
    Axle issues?

Comment

Ive had the same issues but its not the spacers. Its something else, mine doesnt do it all the time. Just ramdomly from 100 to 120. My car drives perfectly straight so i gave up on the whole thing and recently i dont even notice it anymore.

I heard it could be axles, after talking to george about it he said you can spend thousands replacing parts digging for the answer and never find it. But mine is or was very minor i cant compare our cars.

Comment

I had wheel adapters and those worked well but if even one was a bit off it gave the whole car a wobble. Once on perfectly no more wobble.

Have you tried the 42DD spacers wit other wheels? Just to eliminate the wheel causing the problem.

Comment

Is there any reason you are torquing your wheels down so tight? Should be 90lbs or 120nm not 120lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            Wheel bearing starting to go?
            Axle issues?
            hmmm.. could it be the bearings or axles even if the car drives perfectly fine without the spacers?

Originally posted by danno View Post
            Ive had the same issues but its not the spacers. Its something else, mine doesnt do it all the time. Just ramdomly from 100 to 120. My car drives perfectly straight so i gave up on the whole thing and recently i dont even notice it anymore.

I heard it could be axles, after talking to george about it he said you can spend thousands replacing parts digging for the answer and never find it. But mine is or was very minor i cant compare our cars.
            yea unfortunately i have already spent about a thousand in wheel balances and spacers to try and find the issue but everything points to just having spacers. without spacers, nothing at all. no vibrations at any speed.

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
            Is there any reason you are torquing your wheels down so tight? Should be 90lbs or 120nm not 120lbs.
            opps sorry it is 120nm that i have been tightening it to. mixing up the units is a no no haha

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
            I had wheel adapters and those worked well but if even one was a bit off it gave the whole car a wobble. Once on perfectly no more wobble.

Have you tried the 42DD spacers wit other wheels? Just to eliminate the wheel causing the problem.
            I have, and honestly have found them to be not as good as the H&R spacers. I even got another set of RS4 wheels to see if it was somehow the wheels. but nope, on both sets, the car drives perfectly without spacers.

I am almost thinking I am not mounting the spacers correctly or a hoist might be better to put wheels on when doing spacers?
            Last edited by skhan91; 06-27-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't matter. Hell, I ran spacers without hubcentric rings and never got vibrations.

Is this at any speed or a specific speed? Any steering wheel wobble?

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

its usually after 100km/h and before 130km/h. and sometimes its more apparant then other times. i can feel it in the seats and the steering wheel.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Weird.... are you using proper length/size/seat bolts with spacers? Sometimes spacers come with cone seat bolts instead of ball seat for oem wheels.
                  Last edited by Danaldson; 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

bolts are the only thing i havent actually tried swapping out. Concept 1 said they were ball seat and they are extended by for their respective spacers (10mm in front and 15mm in back). I guess i should swap those out eh?

Comment

Originally posted by skhan91 View Post
                      bolts are the only thing i havent actually tried swapping out. Concept 1 said they were ball seat and they are extended by for their respective spacers (10mm in front and 15mm in back). I guess i should swap those out eh?
                      If they are the correct length and seat i cant see why they would cause the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
                        If they are the correct length and seat i cant see why they would cause the problem.
                        Yea i never bothered to change them out for this reason. I mean the front bolts are extended by about 10mm since there are 10mm spacers in front and the back are about 14mm longer since there are 15mm spacers in the back. they appear to be ball seat. I have seen/used cone seat bolts in the past, and the ones i have now are definitely not cone seat.

Comment

I agree with Pat, you shouldn't be having this issue just due in part to the spacers themselves.

I had a machinist make me some spacers using H&Rs as templates and not a single issue... so between 42DD and H&R there should be minimal quality variance.

Long shot here...

Take some thread dope and smear it on the back of the spacer to get a hydraulic seal with the hub that will hold it properly seated in the correct position. That way the spacer won't shift between you placing the spacer and installing the wheel.

If that doesn't do it, the only other thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is to switch to studs instead of lugs.

EDIT:

Look into the cone/ball seat discrepancy first, for sure.
                          Last edited by PRY4SNO; 06-28-2016, 08:08 PM.
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                          Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                            I agree with Pat, you shouldn't be having this issue just due in part to the spacers themselves.

I had a machinist make me some spacers using H&Rs as templates and not a single issue... so between 42DD and H&R there should be minimal quality variance.

Long shot here...

Take some thread dope and smear it on the back of the spacer to get a hydraulic seal with the hub that will hold it properly seated in the correct position. That way the spacer won't shift between you placing the spacer and installing the wheel.

If that doesn't do it, the only other thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is to switch to studs instead of lugs.

EDIT:

Look into the cone/ball seat discrepancy first, for sure.
                            interesting! thanks for the info, going to try this out this weekend.

looked into the bolts, they are definitely ball seat so should be okay there.

Comment

Working...
                            X