Transporting a vehicle across Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting a vehicle across Canada

This is going to be a frustrating post because I haven't completely consummated a deal yet, and I don't want to jinx it, but it's very likely that I'll be picking up a car from Ontario very soon. It's a blind buy but I've spent some weeks doing some research and talking to the owner and I'm very confident in the purchase. Outside of other factors like not wanting to drive it all the way back myself, my work schedule alone just won't allow me the 3-4 days that would require, right now.

Does anyone have some recommendations for vehicle transportation? So far I've only made one enquiry, with MVS Canada logistics. Their price delivered to a local yard here in Calgary was $1425 including insurance and taxes. I'm hoping I can beat this by a significant margin.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by jacktown; 07-29-2016, 05:15 PM.
    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Re: Transporting a vehicle across Canada

When I was thinking about getting the r32 shipped from Thunder Bay, I was getting quote for over 2k if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have nothing useful to add, but want to know what the new car is!
      2008 Audi RS4
      2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

About 15 years ago I brought a car from Montreal by train (it was suppose to be the cheapest way back then) and it cost me about $800.

I might be wrong but it might be hard to get something cheaper that what you got.
        Last edited by syncrovan; 07-29-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Fly me out and I will drive it back for you? Unless its a piece of **** then I retract my statement!
          Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
          -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
          -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

I bought and shipped my s4 blind from Toronto.

I used Hensens Rail Transportation, delivered to the Calgary yard.
            No issues and the best option for me.
            Took longer, cost $900 but there isn't much that can go wrong in a train with the car inside a transport carriage

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would piggy back off yours.

I'm in the same situation but rather that shipping the car, I will be driving it back to Calgary from Toronto.

I understand that once the car is back in Alberta, I will need to do an OOP inspection before I can register it. What is unclear to me is how do I deal with insurance and registration at the time of the title transfer.

Would I be able to use my Alberta license plate to drive the vehicle back as long as I insure it with my broker?

Or would I need to visit an Ontario registry to purchase temporary insurance?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but since I will be registering the car in Alberta, I will not be subject to pay the PST on an Ontario car.

Lastly, will I be able to transport the car through the US as long as I have all the proper documents ie. bill of sale, insurance, registration?
              Last edited by datdamguy; 07-29-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                Fly me out and I will drive it back for you? Unless its a piece of **** then I retract my statement!
                Just to be safe, you should probably have a co-pilot. I volunteer under the condition that the car is cool.
                2008 Audi RS4
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Check with TFX
                  Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by datdamguy View Post
                    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would piggy back off yours.

I'm in the same situation but rather that shipping the car, I will be driving it back to Calgary from Toronto.

I understand that once the car is back in Alberta, I will need to do an OOP inspection before I can register it. What is unclear to me is how do I deal with insurance and registration at the time of the title transfer.

Would I be able to use my Alberta license plate to drive the vehicle back as long as I insure it with my broker?

Or would I need to visit an Ontario registry to purchase temporary insurance?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but since I will be registering the car in Alberta, I will not be subject to pay the PST on an Ontario car.

Lastly, will I be able to transport the car through the US as long as I have all the proper documents ie. bill of sale, insurance, registration?
                    Here's what I did when I picked up my car from Montreal.

Get bill of sale
                    Take bill of sale to insurance broker and get insurance
                    Take bill of sale and insurance to Alberta registry
                    Get an Alberta in-transit package.
                    When you get to Ontario, have your insurance and bill of sale with you, and stick the in-transit to the lower, passenger side portion of the front window.
                    No plate on the back.
                    You CANNOT leave the country with this; it's only valid in Canada.
                    Shouldn't have to pay the PST. GST is fair game.
                    When you get back home get an OOP inspection done.
                    When that's done, take insurance, in-transit package, passed inspection and bill of sale to registry.

Welcome home new car...

(Disclaimer: Verify the above with your insurance company. )

Sorry Nick, nothing to add to your transport question.
                    Last edited by Circuits; 07-30-2016, 03:50 AM.
                    Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

We had the E30 shipped to us from Vancouver island. We also never saw the car but had a good feeling about it too.
                      I do think we shipped with Hensens too! Maybe Patryk can chime in here since he did most of the paper work at the time...
                      Hope you do get this car and I can't wait to see it. Always wanted one too!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                      ~Tracy~
                      MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
                      Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

I've used Hansen's multiple times and have nothing but great things to say, cost is reasonable, car always shows up on time and its a strait forward process they can pick up the car from the owner or the owner can simply drop it off at one of their yards.

http://lhf.calls.net/?&trkid=V3ADW20...77028656_g_c__

Current
                        02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
                        04 GLI low and slow OG
                        Past
                        02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
                        00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. I'll follow up with these shipping leads on Monday. Overall, based on what you're telling me, it sounds like the quote I got wasn't out to lunch after all.
                          Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Originally posted by Circuits View Post
                            Here's what I did when I picked up my car from Montreal.

Get bill of sale
                            Take bill of sale to insurance broker and get insurance
                            Take bill of sale and insurance to Alberta registry
                            Get an Alberta in-transit package.
                            When you get to Ontario, have your insurance and bill of sale with you, and stick the in-transit to the lower, passenger side portion of the front window.
                            No plate on the back.
                            You CANNOT leave the country with this; it's only valid in Canada.
                            Shouldn't have to pay the PST. GST is fair game.
                            When you get back home get an OOP inspection done.
                            When that's done, take insurance, in-transit package, passed inspection and bill of sale to registry.

Welcome home new car...

(Disclaimer: Verify the above with your insurance company. )

Sorry Nick, nothing to add to your transport question.

Thank you very much for the information, definitely helps clear up alot about the process.

As for the OP, the best rate I found for shipping when I was looking around was with J Simons
                            The main reason why I opted out of the shipping route was because you aren't permitted to have any loose items in the vehicle during the delivery.
                            So it came down to either leaving all the spare parts/winter tires behind or taking a road trip which I don't mind doing.

You can also try uship where people bid for your business.

Comment

Chiming in a bit late, but yes I got the E30 shipped by Hansens as well. No complaints, great to deal with, best price.
                              Patryk
                              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                              08 VW .:R32
                              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Working...
                              X