Project Old Imola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Old Imola

So I picked up a Imola B5 this spring, was a members car a few years back. I was just going to use it as a commuter for work but I couldn't leave it alone. Might not be selling this one soon lolol

When I picked the car up it had roughly 320,000km's, was already a stage 3 with F21's, Jfonze tune, all the supporting mods and in need of a lot of love.

Here she is a few days after I picked it up

Driving the car home there was some clunking in the front end, I didn't think anything of it for the first few days as I needed to get around and it was my only option. The noise was starting to get louder so I put the car in the air expecting to find worn sway bushings... Wouldn't that have been nice! I found the upper control arm pinch bolt had been over torqued at some point and cracked the aluminum upright as well as a nice little bend to the stasis coils. Parts were ordered, all new HD control arm kit, cast uprights and H&R ultralow coilovers went in as well as a set of wheels I had found for a decent price.

Next up was the paint, it was cloudy and the interior needed a good detail so Jed @ mobile reflections worked some magic on it with a full detail, interior shampoo, 3 stage polish and hydrophobic coating to seal things in.

The cluster had burn't out pixels and the steering wheel had seen some good use so new cluster was sourced and wheel ordered. I also refreshed the blacked out look on the front of the car with bits and pieces from Rod and found a set of OEM aluminum mirror housings from Australia. The US spec HID's headlights received a murimoto 55w D2S retro kit. Don't mind the lame europlate lol.

Fast forward a bit and I find myself looking for a core engine to rebuild over the next while with thoughts that I'd like to build it to be... quicker lol. Ryan ended up still having his Eurospec 3.0L engine that he was going to use in his monster A6 and a rebuilt transmission with JHM syncros. Dropped the car off at CAW with Colin and Chris to get the transplant.

The engine still had stock valves in it so the heads were pulled and sent out to get incanel exhaust and stainless intake valves put in to accompany the rosten springs and retainers Ryan had in it. Heads also got a light porting.

Parts being used for this madness:

Eurospec 3.0L
    Ported 2.8L heads
    Supertech Incanal exhaust valves
    Supertech stainless intake valves
    Rosten Valve Springs
    Rosten Titanium retainers
    Eurospec crank girdle
    RS4 Intake manifold and bi-pipes
    Tial XR770 Turbos
    SPEC Super-twin Carbon Clutch
    JHM Drivetrain Stabilizer
    JHM Shifter and linkage
    JHM Rebuilt O1E
    Raxle Axles
    034 Billet Diff Carrier
    034 Billet Diff Mount
    034 Solid rear sway
    034 Subframe reinforcement
    034 Fuel rails
    Track Density engine and transmission mounts
    Fluidampr pulley
    ID1000 injectors
    034 Fuel rails
    Aeromotive 340 series fuel pump
    Electric fan Kit
    Coolant pump relocation kit
    All-road push down style valve covers
    R8 Coilpacks
    Wilwood 13" BBK

New turbos ordered, this I debated about for a while but after riding in Shanes avant that had gotten the new Tial xr770 turbos I was sold. After seeing them when they arrived I knew I had made the right choice. The new Xona CHRA's are beautiful to just look at. If I wasn't so excited to put them in the car they could literally sit on my dinner table as a centre piece, er well, if the wife would allow lol. Pairing all that with an RS4 intake manifold and bi-pipes, ID1000 injectors, water/meth injection and some other goodies the car should be fun!

Seeing as it was already stage 3 I wanted a baseline dyno to see where the car ends up. It did pretty good for Calgary's elevation, making 402whp.

http://vid81.photobucket.com/albums/...psaotwslf5.mp4
    http://vid81.photobucket.com/albums/...psxbl1waag.mp4

The engine coming out!

Fluidampr resting in place, engine timed!

Found a 13" BBK, not as heafty as the Porsche 18z setups out there but I think it'll be a welcome change over from stock and leave me with more wheel options.

Picked out a semi-gloss gunmetal for the wheel color. Ordered a few different sets of the bbs buttons and chrome nuts for the center caps since the ones on the wheels are getting powdercoating too. Not sure what combo is going to look the best.

RS4 intake manifold looking beastly

Turbos going on

Pew pew, clutch on and tranny bolted up!

AN fittings welded onto the rear water manifold, better coolant, oil and waste gate lines made and routed. Engine harness on and modified for the HPX maf, coil conversion ect. Ran into a snag with the size of the rs4 bipipes vs s4, had to install smaller turbosmart recirc valves for clearance since the forge ones were too large. Also ordered the Wagner rs4 smic setup to resolve the other size problem and provide some additional cooling.

Engine in, waiting for intercoolers and to make a couple fuel lines to finish up the split feed setup!

Wheels back from powerdercoating, 235/40/18 Conti DW's mounted. Hung one on the rear just to see how it fit, 20mm spacers are too big.

Booty with 5mm spacers.

Downpipes fabbed and intercoolers arrived. So close! Chris does some amazing welding.

Picked up a set of Evo 6 Recaros and stripped the covers off, sending them to Tim @ velocity upholstery in Vancouver to get remade. Have to figure out what to do with rear bench as I'm not a fan of the B5 old lazyboy looking seats.

That's pretty much it for now, it runs and drives, break in period now but she feels like a beast. Hitting about 12-13 psi by 3000 rpm. I think I'm going to name her Stella.
    Last edited by funkin; 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM.
    TJ
    '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
    '01 Silver S4

Re: Project Old Imola

So pretty
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Very nice TJ!
      Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Good god!!!!!!!
        Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
        -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
        -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Wow! Well done TJ, cant wait to see this beast!
          ~Tracy~
          MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
          Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Wow! this is an intense build considering you just bought it as a daily. Way to go TJ!
            Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

^ haha to be a commuter. I'll just commute faster?
              TJ
              '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
              '01 Silver S4

Comment

Wicked build! I feel the strong need for a b5 after driving dylans this weekend!

I hear this things never been tracked!

Comment

Originally posted by funkin View Post
                  Thanks dude! Imola s4, not much of a project. Just going to be using it as a commuter mostly.
                  Thanks dude! Imola s4, not much of a project. Just going to be using it as a commuter mostly.
                  Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

What kind of power do you think this thing will make?
                    Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                    -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                    -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
                      I hear this things never been tracked!
                      LOL

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                      Well you know... Haha

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                      What kind of power do you think this thing will make?
                      It's hard to say, some 770 cars have exceeded 700, most seem to hover 650ish whp. With all the RS4 pieces and the 3 liter I'm hoping for the higher end of the scale...
                      Last edited by funkin; 08-09-2016, 03:58 PM.
                      TJ
                      '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                      '01 Silver S4

Comment

Wow, M0ar power! Can't wait to hear this thing.

Comment

Wow awesome TJ!
                          -Mike

Comment

2008 Audi RS4
                            2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Oh LAWDY.....can't wait for a rip in this!!!!
                              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Working...
                              X