Hello from Japan! My new B5 S4 Avant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Japan! My new B5 S4 Avant.

I've always wanted to get back into a B5 after selling my 2002 back in 2006 after only owning it for a year.

When I came across this beauty I knew I had to jump on it. I haven't seen an Avant in this good of shape in a long time. It only has 111K km's and drive's amazing. Only after market part is a turbo timer so the turbo's have been babied.

There are a few differences I've noticed from the US Avant's and the Canadian Sedans. For starters, Mine is a 2000 and NA did not get the Avant until 2001 so it has the earlier badges. It comes with the Euro bumper and the Carbon Fiber Trim with the blue weave like the RS2 had. It doesn't have the Bose Stereo system but it has the Symphony head unit. If anyone has an old head unit from the NA A4/S4 from 1999-2002 I'd love to make a deal with you. The Japanese go their own unit with a frequency range that doesn't match ours so I can only get Shine FM!!

It comes with the Xenon headlights and foglights that the Canadian sedans didn't get. I bought a polishing kit and the lights now look much clearer.

After spending the weekend detailing it, I'm amazed at the condition of the paint. The hood has been repainted at some point but all the rest of the panels appear to be original with barely any chips.

Looking forward to driving this for a while and deciding if it's worth modifying or whether I should hold out for the an RS4.

These photo's are from my drive home last week from Vancouver to Calgary. This is before I detailed it so it looks even better now!

Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
    2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
    2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
    2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
    2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
    2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Re: Hello from Japan! My new B5 S4 Avant.

Love the avant Dave, looks super clean! I may have a head unit at home, I'll have to go through my bins and check.
    TJ
    '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
    '01 Silver S4

Comment

the want is seriously so real!!!! looks amazing dave!!!

Comment

How exciting, picking it up and driving it back over the mountains.
        I need to get back to Canada and get me an rs4 imported. Brave Auto had that nice Noggy RS in stock at the same time as this.

Did you happen to see what the sale price was on the RS4?

Comment

Originally posted by funkin View Post
          Love the avant Dave, looks super clean! I may have a head unit at home, I'll have to go through my bins and check.
          Thanks, that would be great if you could find one in your bins!

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
          How exciting, picking it up and driving it back over the mountains.
          I need to get back to Canada and get me an rs4 imported. Brave Auto had that nice Noggy RS in stock at the same time as this.

Did you happen to see what the sale price was on the RS4?
          I couldn't imagine shipping it when you can take advantage of that drive. BC has much nicer roads than Alberta.
          I was a bit late for the RS4 and didn't see what it went for.

As a bonus, I have the owner's manual that has dealer stamps for all the services since new. There is even a oil change reminder sticker from the Audi Dealer that is due in 1000km. It gives some piece of mind that it has been properly maintained.
          Dave

Comment

Wow, that car looks mint! congrats!

Comment

Great pickup Dave. Keep and sell the S5. Only Avants for you from now on
              --
              Rod
              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

looks awesome, great pickup!
                sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                Past:
                B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                2004 .:R32 BMP
                2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Update on the B5 S4 Avant:

Well it took 7 months (on and off) but I've finally got my S4 running great with no more fault codes!

As a lot of you know I inadvertently fried my instrument cluster when I was trying to save some money by re-soldering a bad EGT sensor. That WAS the only issue I had when I picked up the car so I was looking forward to getting it out of limp mode. After sourcing a new cluster from Europe (mine came with an immobilizer so the N.A. one's weren't compatible), I still had issues with the car not starting. I spent many many hours going through all the different circuits in the ECU harness trying to find the problem. I ended up pulling all the wires from the harness trying to locate the circuit that was causing the grief. Finally I was left with only the power wires going into the ECU and it still wasn't working. After lots of head scratching I determined that I had stretched out one of the power wire connectors in the ECU harness and I was not getting a good contact between that wire and the pin. All I had to do was crimp the connecter a touch and then the car fired right up!!!

The car was now running but I was getting faults in both EGT sensors and my MAF sensor. Back to the multimeter. I started checking continuity on all the wires between the ECU, EGT's and MAF which are all connected. I ended up with no continuity on 2 circuits going into the ECU at pins 50 and 53. One wire was Violet/Green (li/gn) and the other wire was Violet/Grey (li/gr). Sure enough when I was putting all the wires back into the ECU harness I mixed these two wires up. A quick swap of the two wires and the car is now fault free!!

One positive out of all this is that it turns out I was able to fix my $300 EGT with just some solder and silicon. Now if I had just dropped $300 on a new EGT right from the get go I could have saved myself months of diagnostics. But then again I'm a wiz at reading wiring diagrams now.

I went for a cruise last night and I'm amazed at the power this car has now. Nothing beats an older Audi that is running like it was meant to run.

Thanks for letting me summarize this ordeal, now its on to fixing some oil leaks and do the timing belt.
                  Last edited by Blau_RS2; 04-07-2017, 03:36 PM.
                  Dave

Comment

sweet!

Comment

Great to hear buddy!
                      --
                      Rod
                      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Always a good feeling figuring out a problem and over coming I! Great to hear Dave!
                        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Working...
                        X