2018 Volkswagen Atlas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Volkswagen Atlas

The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas, unveiled tonight on the Santa Monica Pier at the end of historic Route 66, launches a new chapter in the company’s American history. Built in Tennessee, the seven-passenger Atlas offers class competitive levels of technology and spaciousness combined with hallmark Volkswagen driving dynamics and attention to detail, all at a price designed to draw customers’ attention in the family SUV segment.

“This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever builtin the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we’re known for, now with room for seven, ” said Hinrich J. Woebcken, CEO of the North America Region, Volkswagen. “The Atlas marks a brand new journey for Volkswagen to enterinto the heart of the American market.”

Engineered from Volkswagen’s award-winning Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, the Atlas draws on the latest Volkswagen design DNA to create a bold new look in the SUV segment. At 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches high, Atlas is larger than any other Volkswagen on sale in the U.S., yet it retains classic proportions and clean lines that create a sense of timelessness and precision. Up front, standard LED headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights combine for a unique visual signature, with optional LED taillights to complete the look.

Inside, the Atlas makes maximum use of its dimensions to offer space for seven adults and their luggage. The third row can be easily reached by an innovative folding seat solution, one that works even with child seats installed in the second row. Simple, driver-centric displays enhance the feeling behind the wheel rather than distracting from it; while the available Volkswagen Digital Cockpit allows drivers to reconfigure how they view vehicle information.

The available Volkswagen Car-Net® system provides a full suite of connected vehicle services, including standard App-Connect technology that offers integration with the three major smartphone platforms—Apple CarPlayTM, Android AutoTM and MirrorLink®. The vehicle also features an available Fender® Premium Audio System that is the most sophisticated yet seen in a Volkswagen, with 12 channels, a 480-watt amplifier and 12 speakers.

The Atlas offers available driver assistance features that had been previously been reserved for premium SUVs, at an affordable level. These include: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist); Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert; Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), which actively helps the driver steer the car back into its lane; and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist).

Also, the Atlas is the only vehicle in its class to offer the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System. This builds on the premise that a collision is rarely a single, instantaneous action, but rather a series of events that follow the initial impact—the most significant of which can cause additional collisions. The Automatic Post-Collision Braking System addresses this by applying the brakes when a primary collision is detected by the airbag sensors, thus helping reduce residual kinetic energy and, in turn, the chance of additional damage.

The Atlas arrives with a choice of two powertrains: the 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI® four cylinder with 238 horsepower or the available 3.6-liter VR6 engine with 280 horsepower. Either engine routes power through an eight-speed transmission to help maximize engine efficiency, and the Atlas can be configured either as front wheel-drive or with available 4Motion all-wheel-drive in VR6 trims. The 4Motion system has a Driving Mode Selection feature that allows the driver to select specific parameters based on driving conditions.

EPA fuel economy estimates will be released ahead of the launch in the Spring of 2017. The Atlas is built alongside the Passat at the Volkswagen Chattanooga assembly plant, the result of an additional $900 million investment by Volkswagen in the facility. The Chattanooga plant is the only automotive manufacturing facility in the world to receive Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) program.
    More pictures: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...-atlas-launch/
    Last edited by CGY_GTI; 10-27-2016, 11:21 PM.
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Re: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas

Not really doing much for me, but this market segment is one I have no need or care for. I just hope it sells ok so VW can get some money back in and get back into more exciting things as the post dieselgate VW is looking sad with tough times still ahead.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

What's with the tiny little engines??

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
        What's with the tiny little engines??
        Not sure, but that seems to be a thing now. Apparently the new Q7 will be available with the 2.0T in the states soon. The 3.6 will definitely be lacking in this though, it needs the 3.0T... I feel the same way about our Touareg.
        Scott

Comment

I know my dads Q5 feels like it has plenty of get-up and go with the 2.0T.

I feel like it might be a little under powered with only 238hp, but again VW is notorious for underrating their engine power. Other thing is I haven't seen anything about weight and with the new platform there was going to be a large weight savings, maybe it's closer to a Q5 in weight than the Q7.
          Last edited by BaggedGLI; 10-28-2016, 08:21 AM.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I don't mind this at all. Would make a great family hauler. Weird choices of engines though, so much for towing a boat with it.
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Woah the vr6 is back!!! woohoo! Now put it in more models!!!

is it a new Vr6? or if not, dang thats an old engine!!

Our old Q7 Was a huge slouch with the 280HP V6 it had. Was just okay in the city and could hardly handle towing a 21ft boat.... Our new q7 with the 3.0T is much better though. I feel like this thing will be brutal with a 2.0T in it.

im not really digging the front end too much, but overall i think its a nice looking SUV.
              Last edited by Danaldson; 10-28-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Engine choice is pretty simple, everybody else has a 3.6L in their 7 seaters and if VW wants to remain cost competitive this is a major way to do it. Putting a 3.0tt would be nice, but they are better to leave those for the audi's. I also suspect the engine bay would have to be enlarged to handle all the extras required with the 3.0TT which would mean less room for people.

In terms of towing, my highlander says it can handle 5000lbs with the 3.6 and 6 speed trans, so I don't see why this could not achieve that as well. Majority of people will never tow that much or much at all, so why design this for the few vs the majority.

I had to get a 7 seat vehicle this year, hopefully when I need the next one the tdi hybrid system will be available.
                Ben
                2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                Her's
                2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                  In terms of towing, my highlander says it can handle 5000lbs with the 3.6 and 6 speed trans, so I don't see why this could not achieve that as well. Majority of people will never tow that much or much at all, so why design this for the few vs the majority.
                  Kind of excited about VW having a 7 seater and a bigger SUV but I disagree about the towing thing. Most people I know (including myself) would like to replace our vehicle with one that can tow. a 5000lb towing capacity is not quite enough to tow a 21ft fiberglass boat or a smallish travel trailer without pushing the limit.

From what I've seen the only vehicle(s) that can do this are the dodges (Jeep Grand Cherokee and Durango) as the jeep can pull around 7000.

With VW's money troubles I'd be worried about a lack of innovation in the engine/drivetrain dept.
                  Jay

Comment

Jeep is only a 5 seater, unless they have released that 7 seater and I missed that.

Durango tows 6200 lbs with the 3.6, 7200 lbs with the hemi that sucks back another 3L/100 kms in gas. It is also $10k more for a similar equipped highlander, and the depreciation goes crazy the first 4 years of ownership.

While I understand where you are coming from, VW is trying to be toyota when it comes to sales. The only way you achieve that is to eliminate the things most don't need and focus on what the 95% do. VW showed this with the latest passat and Jetta models, it won't be much different with this.

The worst part of the highlander with towing is that they equip the transmission/engine for the job, but don't even bother with a harness or anything for the trailer. After towing with the 2008 Grand cherokee and only having to find a single wire to connect the brake controller, this feels like a step back. Now I will add a hitch for a bike carrier, won't tow anything with it though as I have a truck that can handle that duty.
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

looks so GMish
                      2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                      2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Looks like a Tourag/Range Rover love child... I don't know what to make of it.
                        The wheel arches do look GMish.

Im not 100% on the interior on the new/concept vehicles. A colleague at work brought over a family members Tesla SUV. It's amazing.. rear doors open Delorean style and the speed is insane. But here is what really amazed me. The interior centre console. Not buttons.. it was like a giant Ipad. Seeing it work blew my mind. Made me wonder... when will manufacturers start going this way? Maybe I should start a new thread..
                        Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                        2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
                          Im not 100% on the interior on the new/concept vehicles. A colleague at work brought over a family members Tesla SUV. It's amazing.. rear doors open Delorean style and the speed is insane. But here is what really amazed me. The interior centre console. Not buttons.. it was like a giant Ipad. Seeing it work blew my mind. Made me wonder... when will manufacturers start going this way? Maybe I should start a new thread..
                          This is why I really like the current VW interiors - they're clean looking and they still have physical controls. I HATE the idea of everything being on a single touch screen for a few reasons. First of all, you actually have to look at what you're doing in order to control them, you can't just rely on feel to know what you're doing, so you're forced to take your eyes off the road. If you're on a bumpy road, it's also a lot more difficult to use the controls because your hand inevitably ends up moving and you don't end up doing what you're actually trying to do. Some of the touch screen systems are still very buggy too. A family member was looking at a new XC90 last year and ultimately didn't end up buying it partially because of all the issues related to the touch screen - they were freezing up and the only way to reset them was to disconnect the battery, but until you did that you literally had no control over the HVAC, radio, nav, bluetooth, etc.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                            Jeep is only a 5 seater, unless they have released that 7 seater and I missed that.

Durango tows 6200 lbs with the 3.6, 7200 lbs with the hemi that sucks back another 3L/100 kms in gas. It is also $10k more for a similar equipped highlander, and the depreciation goes crazy the first 4 years of ownership.

While I understand where you are coming from, VW is trying to be toyota when it comes to sales. The only way you achieve that is to eliminate the things most don't need and focus on what the 95% do. VW showed this with the latest passat and Jetta models, it won't be much different with this.

The worst part of the highlander with towing is that they equip the transmission/engine for the job, but don't even bother with a harness or anything for the trailer. After towing with the 2008 Grand cherokee and only having to find a single wire to connect the brake controller, this feels like a step back. Now I will add a hitch for a bike carrier, won't tow anything with it though as I have a truck that can handle that duty.
                            sorry what I meant is that I want an SUV smaller than a yukon/expedition may have a third row and can pull a boat. I'd have to go to the Sequoia in Toyota which is big. Durango and Grand Cherokee are the only "smaller" (arguable with the durango) that can tow. If it can't pull at least 5-6k (actually pull not rated) I actually prefer just having my wagon. too bad there's no wagon in the new passats.

The old ford explorer was perfect but then they went to that unibody piece of trash.
                            Jay

Comment

Chinese made Altas 530TSI will come with a new VR6, 2.5 VR6 turbo. 300ps, 370lbft. Engine is made in Salzgitter Germany from the same factory where almost all the vr6s came from. The engine will probably be tested in the Chinese market for a few years before the rest of the world ever sees it. They've done that with the 1.8tsi engine before, Europe didn't see the engine until 4 years later, North America never saw this engine until a full 8 years after being released in China.
                              Last edited by kujiwara; 11-10-2016, 12:37 AM.
                              Current Fleet
                              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786
                              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X