Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Saying an Alfa Romeo SUV has been a long time coming would be the understatement of the year, especially since the company unveiled the Kamal SUV concept way back in 2003. The wait is now over as the FCA-owned marque has taken the wraps off the Stelvio at the Los Angeles Auto Show where it’s being exhibited together with the cream-of-the-crop Quadrifoglio version.

The Stelvio’s exterior design can be best described by using just two words: Giulia SUV. Indeed, the styling is very familiar, but that doesn’t make it any less exciting, although the base version and the mid-range Ti trim won’t look as desirable as this. The interior cabin has been largely carried over from the Giulia, and in the Quadrifoglio specification it features body-hugging seats, red stitching, carbon fiber trim, and other sporty touches as one would expect from an SUV powered by an engine that has Ferrari roots.

Speaking of which, its heart and soul is a biturbo 2.9-liter V6 as seen in the Giulia Q with a monstrous 505 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque channeled to both axles through an eight-speed automatic transmission. It also takes advantage of a torque-vectoring rear differential and comes with a sportier suspension setup, while beefier brakes and larger wheels are also part of the package. On the options list, prospect buyers will find an assortment of upgrades like Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes, carbon-fiber Recaro seats, and a 14-speaker, 900-watt Harman Kardon audio system.

In terms of performance, we remind you the Giulia sprints to 60 mph (96 kph) in 3.8 seconds, but the Stelvio needs an extra tenth of a second due to its increased weight. There’s also a difference in terms of top speed, with the sedan maxing out at 191 mph (307 kph) whereas the SUV can “only” do 177 mph (285 kph).

But the Stelvio isn’t all about the spicy Quadrifoglio. The base and Ti versions are also interesting thanks to a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine with 280 hp and 306 lb-ft of torque, which is enough Italian muscle for a more than decent top speed of 144 mph (231 kph). Regardless of the trim you go for, all models come as standard with Alfa’s proprietary Q4 all-wheel drive system.

Even the entry-level version gets chunky 18-inch wheels, while those willing to upgrade to the Ti trim will get a 19-inch set along with extra goodies such as real wood trim, an 8.8-inch infotainment screen (instead of the base 6.5-inch setup), along with the possibility of opting for Lusso and Sport packages, which will be detailed later on.

There’s no word about pricing just yet, but you can imagine the Stelvio will cost more than the equivalent Giulia. That means the Stelvio Quadrifoglio will cost significantly more than the $65,000 estimated starting price of the Giulia Q due to go on sale in U.S. next month.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Am I the only one who finds it a little difficult to judge the size of this thing? I feel like it "should" be similar to the (S)Q5 if it's going to be competitive in the North American market. The lack of the third side window behind the rear doors and the ground clearance almost make it look like it could be more of a Q3 size, though.

I'm not quite sold on the back end design, but I REALLY like it otherwise!
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

This thing is sick! Thats crazy power for an suv. As for size, I feel it will fall between q5 and Porsche Cayenne size.
      sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
      His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
      Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
      Past:
      B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
      B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
      2004 .:R32 BMP
      2001.5 Noggy blue s4
      2000 VW GTI 1.8T
      1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Wow that interior... :O
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
          Am I the only one who finds it a little difficult to judge the size of this thing? I feel like it "should" be similar to the (S)Q5 if it's going to be competitive in the North American market. The lack of the third side window behind the rear doors and the ground clearance almost make it look like it could be more of a Q3 size, though.
          Size-wise the Stelvio is a little shorter than the Macan, a little wider and a little taller

Comment

Working...
          X