X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to me R32

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
    Car looks nice!
    I just ordered a set of mori mini h1 7.0, let us know how the install goes!
    Thanks, yours look way nicer...and I even didn't have time to finish your last post.

I definitely try to post the install here but it will take a while as I am not planning to drive until May unless our awesome Passat makes problems.....

Comment

Originally posted by asp gti View Post
      Had mine for 3 years, put ~60,000km on it, sold it for a few grand more than I bought it for. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I needed something bigger and wanted to take advantage of the decently low km's on it to keep it a high resale value. My avant is faster in a straight line, but I sure do miss the sound!
      Sad when your cannot keep more than 1 car but 3 years isn't too bad. Hopefully I'll keep this one even longer. Not a lot to do on it but first on the list is rust and continue on maintenance that means certainly timing chain next year as well as all fluids.
      I understand what you mean about the sound as the flap mod has been done on it and it is unbelievable.

Comment

Almost nothing done on the car except taking apart the hatch's latch to take a look at the rust. Better than I thought, at least it is not from inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fs_DSCN5913.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	512541

Little rust bubble on the driver rear quarter panel.

Name:	fs_DSCN5914.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	512540

The worst is here so I guess I will need to cut some metal as there is an impact behind the side skirt and the wheel well is damaged and rusted but it is not visible in the picture.

Name:	fs_DSCN5903.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	512539

Of course, the bottom of both front fenders is rusted too but it shouldn't be too bad.

I am surprised by all that rust as the under carriage is really clean as well brake and suspension system.....

I didn't go out for a quote but I guess it will cost at least $5000 to fix and I am not planning to spend that amount of money since the paint isn't perfect to start with on a car with 220,000kms. Anyway, no need for another garage queen as we already have a Miata we barely drive. This car has been driven since day 1 and I am planning to do the same.

I'll do the job myself, taking my time so hopefully the result will be better than our van. Not planning to use air gun this time as I cannot do everything at the same time but I'll do "1 piece" at the time. For that I think I'll start a thread in the Body & Paint section as I have question about it.

I forgot to add that all spots but the hatch will certainly be covered in black vinyl in the future since they are exposed to road debris anyway.
        Last edited by syncrovan; 01-15-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

More damage than I thought on the passenger rear rocker panel and I am not sure what to do. Rust didn't go thru so it is already good news.

[img]5265[/img]

[img]5267[/img]

Dent is about 1 1/2" deep
          [img]5266[/img]

Not sure if it could be pulled..... I'll start a thread in the body section for it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Some por15 should treat that small patch of rust easily, and then you can paint of it. Rocker dents you have to pull with a stud gun thingy, Colin lent me one a while back and it fixed my rocker dent, was way worse than the one you have.
            Current Fleet
            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
            2001 Cobra #88/3786
            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
              Some por15 should treat that small patch of rust easily, and then you can paint of it. Rocker dents you have to pull with a stud gun thingy, Colin lent me one a while back and it fixed my rocker dent, was way worse than the one you have.
              Thanks for the info Jerry. I thought rear rockers had more than 1 layer of steel and couldn't be pulled that way. I'll see Colin tomorrow to borrow his Uni-spotter.

I used Por15 on our van and got some rust coming back after 5 years so I'll do different this time. Grinding/cleaning rust, rust converter, primer, brush-on seam sealant and 2 coat on undercoating. Just did it for the front fender, hopefully it should be good.

Comment

Thanks to Colin, engine got new plugs, coils and serpentine belt.
                Of course, maintenance is done on the tensionner pulley (it was needed as the bearing was dry but I'll replace the bearing later) as well as all wiper shafts and wiper "ball joints" and I was able to "unfreeze" the trunk lock, basically doing everything that is in my way of the rust and paint job.

Cracked outer boot on the driver axle is done as well as parking brake adjustment.

More sanding and polishing to do.
                Pics will follow later.....

Comment

A little update on the R32.
                  Here are the TT rims

Name:	fs_DSCN6028.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	512551

Rust and paint job is almost done for now, I need to finish the bottom where skirts are going but it will be later.
                  Sanding and polishing as well as wax done, what a job. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to put the car outside to get nice pics.

Name:	fs_DSCN6009.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	512550

Name:	fs_DSCN6006.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	512549

Name:	fs_DSCN5992.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	512548

Name:	fs_DSCN5987.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	512547

Comment

Some work on headlight too, it will be a little challenging as the projector is huge.

Name:	fs_DSCN6051.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	512554

Name:	fs_DSCN6048.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	512553

Name:	fs_DSCN6046.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	512552

But the light output is quite nice

Name:	fs_DSCN6060.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	512556

Name:	fs_DSCN6059.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	512555

Comment

So, 4 screws 4mm diameter per projector should do it and even if I am going through the reflector, the projector seems to be heavy so I added fiberglass.

Name:	fs_DSCN6068.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	512558

Name:	fs_DSCN6069.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	512557

Of course, the bulb and ignitor need more room so I need about 1" more using a second part of back cover to make it

Name:	fs_DSCN6066.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	512559

Name:	fs_DSCN6067.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	512560

Working on 1 side for now as I need to make sure it will fit.
                      Last edited by syncrovan; 02-04-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Stefan, I got a Phatbox for the R32 but it might be challenging to make it fit in the trunk.
                        A lot of thing are in the way so I might take his advice and take the Phatbox apart.

Name:	fs_DSCN6070.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	512561

Now if I could only find that CD cable in there....

Comment

Looking good Jerome!
                          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                            Looking good Jerome!
                            Thanks George

Comment

Originally posted by syncrovan View Post
                              Thanks to Stefan, I got a Phatbox for the R32 but it might be challenging to make it fit in the trunk.
                              A lot of thing are in the way so I might take his advice and take the Phatbox apart.

[ATTACH]5282[/ATTACH]

Now if I could only find that CD cable in there....
                              Yeah I'd just completely remove the aluminum cover. It's grossly oversized. The black plastic front can be removed by prying on the lip on the bottom of the unit. 2 of the screws you need to get at are under it.
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Looks nice! Good choice with the method, are you running bi-xenon? I'm debating whether I should just solder my bixenon high beam wire to my normal high beam or get a high beam splitter.
                                Current Fleet
                                #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                                2001 Cobra #88/3786
                                1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                                2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                                2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                                X