Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to me R32

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
    Ahh my mistake i thought they looked like b6 a4 wheels. Will look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No mistake on your side as they look exactly identical, this is why I was surprised at first and didn't believe it. And since the bolt pattern isn't listed in the specs, I tried them on the Golf right away.
    Always liked them as well as the winter rims too.
    Last edited by syncrovan; 03-12-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
      Ahh my mistake i thought they looked like b6 a4 wheels. Will look good!

Did more research on Myturbodiesel site and apparently they can be found in 5x100 and 5x112 in 17" and 18" and even different width and offset, mainly in Europe I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by syncrovan View Post
        Did more research on Myturbodiesel site and apparently they can be found in 5x100 and 5x112 in 17" and 18" and even different width and offset, mainly in Europe I guess.
        Ah good to know!

Comment

I had some time yesterday to compare the new headlights for the Golf with what we have on our Passat.
          Pics not great, but camera was on manual mode so it should be easy to compare. More snow on the ground in front of the Golf.

Passat are factory projector headlights with hid H7 bulbs, 55w, 4300k, cheap from ebay. Lenses redone, no glare at all. Output is better than the halogen bulbs but not great by my standards.....

In the Golf are the new Morimoto projectors with their brand of D2S bulbs, 55W and 4300k

Pretty happy for now but we'll see how it goes when driving. I don't think glass lenses will make any difference since the plastic lenses are really clean.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by syncrovan; 03-16-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Yup, that's a good improvement! Nice even cutoff.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
              Yup, that's a good improvement! Nice even cutoff.
              Thanks Collin.

Morimotto stuff is usually good quality and they are making better assy than before but they still need to work a little more to be at the top....

Comment

More work done on the R32, mainly under-body rust.

Almost all the rust under there is because of damage especially during towing, this is sad.
                There are maybe 2 spots where the rust is from driving and getting rock chipping of the protective coat during winter certainly.

But, it is only surface rust so it is not a big deal but there was a lot of metal to bend back to make it look nice as both metal lips where flat mainly on the front of the car.

Here the result after grinding the rust and applying canned rust converter:

Last edited by syncrovan; 03-29-2017, 06:16 AM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Brush on seam sealant applied yesterday over the rust converter which acted as a primer as well.

The seam sealer isn't easy to apply but I had good experience with it after 5 years on our van. 2 or 3 coat of under-body black rubber paint will be added on it of course.

Last edited by syncrovan; 03-29-2017, 06:24 AM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Some update on the R32, under body is done and dry, all fender liners are cleaned

But I sprayed some Fluid Film on the "unprotected" metal before putting them on, hard to see on the picture....

Went shopping to get some vinyl to protect parts of the car as I planned. I was able to find a metallic black but the black isn't has deep as the Golf black....

Pieces for the rocker panel in front of the rear wheel

and got some clear to put on my nice headlight glass lenses
                    Last edited by syncrovan; 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Was there still a spray card in the glovebox? It was left over from when the hood was done.

Loving the attention to detail! Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
                        Was there still a spray card in the glovebox? It was left over from when the hood was done.

Loving the attention to detail! Nice work!
                        Thanks Rob, I am trying to do as much as I can now because it is going to be more difficult later as it might be hard stopping driving it....

I don't know what a spray card is....

Comment

Not much done since as well, the stuff left to do isn't fun and I am not good at it anyway.....
                          Tried to apply some vinyl as paint protection so here is take 1:

Take 2 wasn't even worth to use memory from the phone.....yeah, that bad..... so we are at take 3:

and take 4 and passenger side as well, sorry pictures aren't that great.

Tried on 1 headlight and it is not that great either sadly, air got trapped so it will stay like that for now.....forgot to take pics.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to put back both side skirts, was pretty hard to clean the urethane glue from them.....
                          Last edited by syncrovan; 04-14-2017, 06:29 AM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

Why didn't you just use clear stoneguard?
                            Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                            -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                            -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                              Why didn't you just use clear stoneguard?
                              The paint is far from perfect and I thought something thinner would be easier to apply..... I guess I was wrong.
                              I could have use clear only for this emplacement but as I am planning to add some on the hood as there are a lot of stone chips and above the windshield as there is rust (I planning to fix it later when I'll be replacing it), this is why I only bought a big piece of metallic black.

Comment

It has been over a year now, I guess it was more fun to drive it last summer than working on it.
                                I have been lazy during the winter so not much done on it, here are the main stuff:

Wilwood 2 pieces rotors for the rear brake, 310mm with an offset of 10.4mm, different than factory but chosen as an easy way to make a bracket:

Bracket is 1/2" thick with graded hardware of course.

Looks way better that way!

Next was to make the electric mod for the exhaust flap instead of having it open all the time as I find it a little noisy during the night. 3 ways switch under the dash, not visible but still easily accessible:

After that, skid plate:

Decided to paint it as I had old leftover of blue.....

And of course, I had to do some cutting to match all under panels to it!

That should be all for now as it is my daily driver now but I still might redo both side skirts and putting them back in place later as well.
                                Last edited by syncrovan; 06-01-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X