Project: Coal and Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Coal and Fire

I imported a 2015 Tornado Red TDI with body damage and had it rebuilt.

It was hit in the rear left quarter.

Brought it in, purchased a new door, quarter panel and rear axle beam.
    A check on a frame machine showed that the frame was not bent at all, which is some great luck.
    However there was a bit more damage to the panel internally than hoped so the whole quarter panel had to come off.

Door from donor test installed, fit right in with no issues.

Quarter panel from Donor.

Damaged quarter panel cut off.

Replacement panel welded in.

Painted

All done! Looks good as new.

Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-05-2016, 10:46 AM.

Re: Project: Coal and Fire

My first project was to remove the H&R lowering springs and install GTI OEM springs. The H&R springs were way too low on a TDI.

Then I put on some winter wheels and tires, 18x8.5 ARA Sorat wheels with Blizzak tires.

Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-05-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I've also replaced the non-heated leather seats with heated GTI Plaid seats.

Original

Picture of the GTI seats (Better pictures to come), the red in the plaid matches the car beautifully.
      Seats are from a 2016 GTI that had about 5000 km, so they are minty.

Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-14-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

wow that is quite the panel replacement :o

Looks great in tornado red! and mk7 Tdi's must be hard to find around here since the whole epa thing right?

Comment

Was it all cost effective in the end?

I remember a few months ago you started a thread wondering if it would be, which is why I ask.
          I'd never have taken on something like that, especially with that entire section coming out.

I presume you'll hold onto it for a long time?

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
            Was it all cost effective in the end?

I remember a few months ago you started a thread wondering if it would be, which is why I ask.
            I'd never have taken on something like that, especially with that entire section coming out.

I presume you'll hold onto it for a long time?
            I'm also curious to know this.

Is the car now active or rebuilt status?
            Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

looks great! Money savings must have been worth it....nahh TDI's are always worth it
              Josh

2006 Jetta TDI (DSG)
              decent amount of (little) cosmetic mods
              Colt stage II cam
              PD150 Injectors
              Darkside GTB1749V
              Malone stage 5 (dynamic Idle and EGR delete)
              Malone DSG tune
              H&R coilovers
              Panzer skidplate
              OEM LED Tail lights.
              OEM style projector headlights with e46 (clear lens) projector swap

2008 ford Ranger 5 spd

Comment

I've been waiting for your thread....looks good so far, and after the great job on your mkiv, this should turn out equally as nice or better!
                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I ended up around $16k all in for the car, the title will be salvage, which is unfortunate but I can live with that.
                  From a money point of view it's probably a break even with what I could have bought a local salvage for.
                  But I know the work was done right, and I feel that counterbalances it.

As for the panel, the panel itself crumpled more internally than it looked like from outside. Maybe it's a good thing as it might be what kept the frame from being damaged.

The panel internal could have been unbent, straightened, painted and left in place. But we made the decision that since we had a full replacement, without any structural damage, it made more sense to use that entire panel instead.

I have to admit when I saw it with the panel removed the first time I had a small heart attack, looked like half the car was missing.
                  Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-13-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

It a bit chilly here today, about -10.

Dropped off the golf with a group of good guys!

They have a nice new office.

They're going to have it for a few days to play with.
                    It's going to be a test bed for the new MK7 TDI tune.

I've always been a huge fan of what Mark does and this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Some pictures of the shop and equipment. First picture is of a project car the Malone team has going, currently it makes 400HP but they're looking to push it farther.

Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-15-2016, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Gotta say, looks better with the OEM springs. Being so low accentuated the fact that the wheel/hub isn't centred in the arch and thus looks a bit odd.

Interested in the results of the tune, the old lady drives a mk6 TDI so a tune is definitely a part of the overall plan.
                      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Congrats on getting this all sorted and back together, and those winter wheels are so much better than the other ones
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Some pictures of little red hooked up to the dynos.

Results tomorrow!

Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-14-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I picked up little red this evening.

The team at Malone Tuning was really great. The car currently has their stage 1 tune, it gives about 10-20 increase across the power band for both torque and horsepower. But we're not done!
                            (I can't share the dyno graphs here yet as they are not final, but email me if you want to see them and I will share them as long as you don't post them anywhere)

The stage 1 tune is already getting some updates to make it better.

When I get back from Calgary the car will be going in for round 2, to better the stage 1, and to start work on stage 2.

Lots more to come so stay "tuned". :-)
                            Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-16-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

So the good news is that the MK7 doesn't have a widow maker jack. The bad news is we got a flat tire outside sicamous.

Golf also got a bit dirty.
                              Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-22-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X