Bad luck, or crooked mechanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad luck, or crooked mechanic?

Long post, but if you are willing to read I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Hey everyone. I've moved from Calgary out to Vancouver Island (Duncan BC) and
    have been searching for a new mechanic as George @tunedub is too far of a commute.

I brought my wife's A4 in for a CEL, and it turns out she needed 4 new coil packs
    and plugs. I also had it in for an oil change at the same time as it was getting
    close to being due after the drive out from Calgary. When I came to pick it up
    they said there was a windshield washer leak (was not an issue before dropping it off
    as far as I knew). They charged me to fill the washer tank (twice). I wasn't able
    to find the source of the leak as I don't have a heated garage out here and my tools
    were still in transit from Calgary. I decided against my better judgement to
    bring it back in for them to find the leak. It turned out to be a new washer pump.
    Things were getting cold so I also put in a new battery as it was getting weak, and
    asked them to put new hatch struts on since the hatch was dropping back down a bit
    in the cold.

They replaced the one strut, but when replacing the one on the drivers side, the strut pivot
    somehow came loose. They left the car with only one strut replaced and said they
    would have to pull the headliner and D pillar to tighten it from the inside. They also
    want the transmission flushed, cabin and air filters replaced, and a leaking passenger side
    engine mount.

I plan on doing the rest of this work (minus the transmission) myself now that my tools
    have arrived. I brought my GTI in for an oil change and new plugs as it just cleared 100k
    and I don't recall changing the plugs in quite some time. I also wanted to see if they could
    figure out why my hatch light was staying on after I arm the alarm. I had LED lights in both the
    license plate and rear hatch. When I came to pick up the car, they said the reason the hatch light
    was staying on was because I had an LED light in there. Does that even make sense? They also
    seemed to think that the license plate lights should have the contacts cleaned and they broke
    both of them when cleaning the contacts. 2 days after picking up the car, I now have a CEL and
    the car is surging/hesitating under power. Sounds like misfires and either poorly gapped plugs
    or coil pack failure.

Each time I bring either of the cars in there is more broken than fixed when I get it back.
    Is it just bad luck and the cars showing their age? Any suggested garage on the island I can
    take my cars to as I have no faith that the mechanics where I took my cars have anywhere near
    the skill of the crew at Tunedub.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: Bad luck, or crooked mechanic?

To me it seems like a bunch of small normal maintenance items which needed repair. I'd say for what was broken it's just bad luck. As far as them breaking parts they they were supposed to fix or just look at and investigate to source the problem, I'd say it's a clear sign to find another shop. I've taken my car in to shops before and they have said "this is broke" "that is broke" bla bla bla. I get home and it's not. I've paid for alignments that were never done. Got home to loose tie rods had to tighten them again and take it back to be told that the tir rods are seized and that this car can't be aligned.

For me.... There are some things that you have to go to a shop for, like alignments or tire mounting. Other then that I won't take my cars into shops other then warranty work.

Long story short...mix of bad luck and shady shop imho. Find a new shop.
    2016 VW GTI (Stock)
    2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
    1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
    2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Comment

If you come down to Vancouver Richmond I know a mechanic who does excellent work (weekends only) at very reasonable prices. On the island you could go to Dave's Automotive in Sidney BC, they work with VWs and aren't super far.

What year are the cars?
      Last edited by witchcraftz; 01-12-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

The washer pumps corrode and crack open quite often. Shouldn't have charged for washer fluid, that's just being cheap.

Hatch struts there is no reason those pivots should come loose. Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing.
        Engine mounts leak red fluid, filters and stuff sound reasonable if you have no history.

LED's that sounds dumb, and clueless.

Spark plugs, have you checked they are tight? What plugs did they put in? Did they use OEM coilpacks?
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

The trunk likely has to do with the wires in the hatch hinge. You can pull the boot back and check the wires, it is likely the sheathing is cracked on some as that is normal for that age. On another note crappy to hear you moved but I hope you enjoy your new home
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Picking up the car this afternoon. They replaced the coil packs to fix the CEL and also agreed to pay for new license plate light housings. Will see if the hatch light is still staying on. FWIW Brent, it's the light in the trunk/wheel well in the right hand side that's staying on, not the one in the hatch door. Not sure how a cracked wire in the hinge would cause this, unless it's some sort of switch tied to the hatch lock? Might just pull the bulb and ignore it.
            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
            hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
            sigpic

Comment

I have been through a couple batches of no-name coil packs (supposedly Borg Warner, but no markings on the coil or box) and different plugs since moving to BC. I finally bit the bullet and got OEM coils and plugs from ECS (Lordco and Napa are my only choices for parts locally and could not get Bosch coil packs or NGK iridium plugs for some reason). That fixed the last of the occasional intermittent misfiring I was having after my intake cam/HPFP was replaced under warranty.

If the interior light is staying on when the door is closed the door switch is probably shot. I have replaced door switches on my Jetta and a few other MK4s, if its the same kind I could see that being an issue, crud gums up or breaks the tip off the switch keeping it in the open position. Keep in mind if it thinks the trunk is open the alarm may not be arming, and its draining the battery.

FWIW I was happy with the service I received at Audi Downtown Vancouver, but that's not really convenient from the island and was dealer pricey.
              Jeff
              Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
              Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Bad luck on the mechanic. I've been there myself.

Contact Tarpan Roy from quattroworld forums and theprojectpad.com, he's based out of Victoria and will have the lowdown.

I can probably find his email if your Google game is weak haha
                Last edited by PRY4SNO; 01-20-2017, 12:54 AM.
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstoned View Post
                  FWIW Brent, it's the light in the trunk/wheel well in the right hand side that's staying on, not the one in the hatch door. Not sure how a cracked wire in the hinge would cause this, unless it's some sort of switch tied to the hatch lock?
                  Don't know the car that well but if there is no other signs of some type of switch then it is likely the switch in the trunk latch. Could throw a kid in there and see if closing anything turns it off. That's what small children are for anyways
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                  X