Roll cage vs Air bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll cage vs Air bags

Which one is safer? I ask this because I've always been looking into getting a proper full cage built for my mk4 jetta(5 star crash rating back in the day, front+side+curtain), but I can't think of anyways to keep the side curtain airbags if there's a cage in place. The car sees 40000km per year in Vancouver, and some of the car crashes here are pretty horrifying which is why I'm considering.

Obviously either option has pros and cons, the air bags are meant to protect the passengers in normal crash tests, but as we know some pretty weird crashes can happen and the airbags sometimes can't offer enough protection, the side curtains in particular protects the passengers from many dangers during a side crash such as shrapnels flying in, where as a roll cage doesn't offer such protections.

Roll cages are pretty self explanatory, cages and reinforces the chassis and passenger component with properly engineered steel tubes, I've seen race cars hit barriers at 100+mph and see the driver walk out, but at the same time the driver is wearing a helmet to protect themselves from shrapnels(still less chance than on the street) and a hans device to dampen the forces in the neck area.

Obviously for a mk2 with no airbags and mk3s with two airbags, and in general low chassis rigidity by todays standards, cage is the way to go. And something like any 5 star overall crash rating car wouldn't need a cage. But a mk4 is stuck right in between...
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Re: Roll cage vs Air bags

Do you race professionally? That's really the only reason to get a cage.
    GT3071R and more...

Comment

Airbags do have a shelf life so, with the age of our cars, this can be a legitimate concern... and aside from the weight penalty, a cage is a great way to stiffen up the chassis. The pillar airbags would be blocked by a cage but, depending on the design, the airbags in the seats could still be functional... steering wheel and dash too of course.

If you’re contemplating a cage in a street car, though, just be aware that your insurance company won’t cover you under a normal policy. Engine swaps, excessive lowering or raising and oversize tires all place you in the same zone as impaired drivers, etc... super expensive I’m told.
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

I don't race professionally, and neither am I gonna drive the car to the extent of crashing on the track of course, the added chassis rigidity will be nice for the track but that not the primary goal. In vancouver I get hit on the street pretty hard by SUVs and trucks to the point of almost writing off the cars everytime, I could be stopped for a while in traffic then get hit, or turning left on advanced green then get hit by someone who runs reds, and I don't want myself to get written one day so that's why I'm thinking about cage..

My insurance is covering the minimum they already know it's swapped but they won't cover much anyways and I dont ever hit other people so that's okay for me for now
        Last edited by kujiwara; 02-19-2017, 11:51 AM.
        Current Fleet
        2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

These cars came with VR6’s in 2004... so you might be ok, not sure - just something to be aware of.

I’ve actually thought of caging my GLI for the safety aspect as well. Way too many careless/reckless drivers around and if a BroDozer or gravel truck were to hit you hard enough...
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Keep in mind 4,6 and 10 point roll cages and roll bars are for rollover protection not impact protection. A car would have to be build with a full tubular chassis to get and extra safety from being t-boned by a SUV.

Comment

True... chances of taking a hit from the side directly on the B-pillar bar only would be slim to none.

Kuji - you might have to just test your airbags to be sure they’re still functioning properly and settle for that... unless you’re prepared to get into race car level fabrication. Cost aside, that might get old pretty quick on a daily.

Once I found out about insurance -vs- cages in a street car I thought it would still be nice to stiffen the chassis from underneath - effective, keeps extra weight low and maintains standard insurance coverage... doesn’t help with your dilemma though, sorry.
              Work - houzz / linkedin
              Play - haldex swap

Comment

I guess the rollcage will offer protection if you (excuse the pun) rollover. But how much weight would the rollcage add to the overall weight of the vehicle? Would it be worth it in terms of more fuel costs etc..?

Disclaimer *I know sod all about roll cages*.. If you do get side swiped is there less protection now that you have a hunk of metal? I guess what im saying is depending on the accident could a rollcage make it more dangerous for the occupants in a accident?

I dunno.
                Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Remember that a car with a roll cage also takes into consideration you are wearing a helmet at the very least...
                  --
                  Rod
                  Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                  2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                    Remember that a car with a roll cage also takes into consideration you are wearing a helmet at the very least...
                    Yeah - side impact with no airbag and no helmet would be an issue, I would think.
                    Stefan
                    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

You'd be better off taking some defensive drivers courses.....Just my 2.5 cents.
                      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Lol thanks guys, I think I'll just not run a cage and make sure my bags work. I need a defensive driving course that teaches me how to grow three more pairs of eyes lmao
                        Current Fleet
                        2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Airbags have a shelf life of 10 years max, then need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                            Airbags have a shelf life of 10 years max, then need to be replaced.
                            Great to know...Our 2003 W8's bags were past and still saved us....
                            Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I guess it's like anything with a best before date, some go bad right away and some never seems to go bad, generally speaking though there should be a 30% margin so even a 13 year old airbag should be ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X